PDA

View Full Version : Upper cam twisted

gotboar
08-04-2011, 06:37 AM
I just bought a 2010 Martin Cheetah. I guess i shoulda done more research on the problems of these bows. They seem to have some limb problems. I shot this bow at the archery shop where i bought it. Took it home and went to fine tune it. Realized that the upper cam is twisted. After my research it seems to be kinda common the martin has had bad limbs and problems with the acu trak cams. My question is, bow season is in 2 months, should i waste my time with gettin it fixed er sell out and go back to PSE?

archerx7
08-04-2011, 06:49 AM
Since the Cheetah is a single cam, what you are describing sounds like the idler wheel just has some lean to it. Pretty common problem with single cam bows and very easy to fix, the shop where you bought the bow really should have taken care of that before letting you leave with the bow. One side of the buss cable yoke just needs to have some twists put into it to straighten the idler, no big deal and only takes a few minutes to do. Take the bow back to them and have them correct it.

gotboar
08-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Its really that simple. So no need to call customer service. SWEET!!! Thanks i hope its really that simple.

gravedigger
08-04-2011, 10:45 AM
acutrac is a good cam,that is what my 2010 bengal has on it and i think it is a very smooth draw and nce wall.

Speedykills
08-04-2011, 10:50 AM
You could probably just back the limb bolts out enough to relax limbs and add a few twist if you didnt want to take it to a proshop.

peace
08-04-2011, 11:12 AM
You could probably just back the limb bolts out enough to relax limbs and add a few twist if you didnt want to take it to a proshop.

Really because if the bow shop let him leave before with idler lean enough that he thinks the cam is twisted then they probably don't want to take the 5 minutes to do this right. If he loosens the limb bolts about 10 to 12 turns and just with one hand puts a little pressure on the cam enough that the split cable ends loosen he can take them off and figure which side to tighten or loosen to get his idler wheel sitting straight.

There is a lot of negativity in bow shops and archery circles against Martin as they don't follow the crowds in much advertising, don't create all the hoopla yet, they just keep making great products at affordable prices and making a lot of bow parts and stuff for other brands.

If you ask to buy a Martin I will bet at least 90% of the time you will be steered toward at least 4 or 5 other brands. Martins are not for people whom follow crowds. They are loved by folks that like to do a lot of their own work, too.

pizzadave
08-04-2011, 02:14 PM
I just bought a 2010 Martin Cheetah. I guess i shoulda done more research on the problems of these bows. They seem to have some limb problems. I shot this bow at the archery shop where i bought it. Took it home and went to fine tune it. Realized that the upper cam is twisted. After my research it seems to be kinda common the martin has had bad limbs and problems with the acu trak cams. My question is, bow season is in 2 months, should i waste my time with gettin it fixed er sell out and go back to PSE?

I had the same issue on my 2010... and yeah... it really is as simple as added or removing twists of the split cable.... it doesn't take much to take care of the issue, and you should be on your way! The best part about the whole ordeal.... you bought a Martin, therefore you have the BEST customer service of any bow company IMHO. I had some issues with my Cheetah... yes... but in just 8 days, I got basically a whole new bow back .... and it was such an easy process. I bought my bow from a shady guy off of ebay. It had cracked limbs, and a dinged idler wheel... I believe he knew it had all these issues and that's why he sold it like he did..... Martin STILL gave me full warranty, and I came out of the deal with new parts, ready to shoot.....

Destroyer
08-04-2011, 02:59 PM
So no need to call customer service. SWEET!!!

I would be calling customer service and get Martin to fix it. If it has bad lean and you add twists to the yoke to fix it you could end up with cracked limbs.

Normal practice; Lay arrow across wheel parallel to the string.

No reason to do this at all, the idler isn't inline with the cam.