PDA

View Full Version : 65% or 80% let off

cowboysfan
06-13-2007, 12:05 PM
hi i have a 07 bangal bow my question is do you gain any arrow speed or kinetic energy by having 65% or 80 % let off thank you

cdfirefighter1
06-13-2007, 07:18 PM
you will gain a small amount of arrow speed with 65% since you have a higher holding weight which means more energy... but I dont think it is enough to worry about..

bfisher
06-14-2007, 07:12 AM
65% will only give you a gain of about 4 fps, at least by my chrono results. This isn't going to make a great difference in KE. It can make the bow aim more solidly, but you have to decide if you need that or the ability to hold longer.

Frankly I don't seem to comprehend all this concern about KE these days. Just about any 50# or more bow shooting a properly spined arrow for the length and weight produces enough KE for any deer sized game.

You know, people are still killing elk with 55# recurves and getting pass throughs, even though a setup such as that produces about 2/3 the energy of most compounds.

cowboysfan
06-14-2007, 08:00 AM
thank you very much guys i have really bad arthritis even though i like the feel of the 65% let off i will either leave it and shoot a little less # or switch to the 80% let off again thanks for the help guys

bfisher
06-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Man, why didn't you say you have arthritis? This is just a suggestion, but try shooting 65% and less peak weight. That way you don't get such a precipitous drop to the valley. It just makes a smooth cam feel all that much smoother.

I know a little bit about the arthritis stuff myself. I still like the Nitrous am, but only shoot about 53# to help myself. Even being a hard cam they don't feel bad at that weight.

If I recall right you are from New England somewhere. Hunting deer? 50# is enough if you handle it well.

cowboysfan
06-14-2007, 01:36 PM
yea i thought i mentioned it in my first or second submission yea im from nh.