PDA

View Full Version : center serving

shaverd
08-07-2011, 08:15 AM
I shoot fingers style on a Martin Hi-Speed recurve. I am currently using BCY #62 center serving and it is pretty brutal on my fingers. Does anyone have experience with a serving that is more forgiving and pleasing to shoot finger style. I was told that there is a center serving that is like a monofilliment type material that is very easy on the fingers but it falls apart quickly. I don't like that idea either.

I am shooting a fast flight string and do not want to loose fps but want to be able to shoot for longer periods of time each day. I was hoping my fingers would tuffen up but that center serving just tears into them.

bfisher
08-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Aren't you using some sort of finger protection? A glove or tab would help.

archerx7
08-07-2011, 08:55 AM
BCY Halo is a real good choice for finger shooters, it has a smoother finish so it comes off the fingers easier with less abrasion and a smoother, more consistant release. BCY actually recommends halo for anyone shooting fingers.

shaverd
08-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Aren't you using some sort of finger protection? A glove or tab would help.

I don't know why but when I use a tab my arrow falls off the rest. I am using a glove but I quess it is just to thin. My fingers are bruised and hurt even through the glove.

Destroyer
08-07-2011, 03:12 PM
I don't know why but when I use a tab my arrow falls off the rest.

Your torquing the string. What is your nock fit like?

shaverd
08-09-2011, 05:09 AM
Your torquing the string. What is your nock fit like?

When I started out the nock snapped on tight, probably to tight The arow fell off of the shelf so I stopped using it.

Over time my serving has worn down and the arrow nocks are a litle loose on the string. I havn't tried the tab sence the nock was looser, figured it didn't work for me so I've kept on with fingers with cheap glove. I havn't been able to shoot as much latley because of the soreness of my fingers. I even tried making a thicker glove but the fingers are already damaged. Thats why I was wondering if there was a softer serving out there.

Destroyer
08-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Brownell no.4 will be softer but it wears faster.

I havn't tried the tab sence the nock was looser

You should give it a go. Some tabs have rubber backing like the Fred Eichler Cordovan Tab or the Suanders pack tab, nice on the fingers. To see if a nock is too tight, rotate the string with an arrow nocked and if the arrow moves with the rotation then its too tight.

shaverd
08-09-2011, 08:01 PM
To see if a nock is too tight, rotate the string with an arrow nocked and if the arrow moves with the rotation then its too tight.

Thanks, its too tight for sure. Should I use a smaller guage serving or fewer strands on the bow string. Right now I have 16 strands of Fast Flight with 0.21 diameter serving.

Destroyer
08-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Smaller gauge serving would be the easiest to do, .018 or .019.

madlaz
08-10-2011, 01:20 AM
try some accunocks they will help you by not falling off your string