PDA

View Full Version : Need help with noise

Sharxfan
08-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Okay I did some on the spot testing today of the Onza and am trying to figure out where the noise is coming from on the bow. The noise happens when I pull the string back just a bit and let it go it makes a thunk sound on release. I took off the SOS and it did not make a difference. I then took off the STS and that did not make a difference. I tried three different stabs and that did not make a bit of difference. I seems to me that the noise is coming from the string itself and not from anything else. I know this is not really the best testing method but the thunk is driving me crazy. I put some cat whiskers on it but I think they are too short to help so I think I will redo those as well. I also made sure that everything was still tight as far as nuts and bolts go.
So does anyone have any ideas on how to quiet a string thunk?

Destroyer
08-07-2011, 07:43 PM
The noise happens when I pull the string back just a bit and let it go it makes a thunk sound on release.

Something isn't right, I could understand a thunk from a full draw but from a small amount of draw? :confused:

Not the rest?

Spiker
08-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Okay I did some on the spot testing today of the Onza and am trying to figure out where the noise is coming from on the bow. The noise happens when I pull the string back just a bit and let it go it makes a thunk sound on release. I took off the SOS and it did not make a difference. I then took off the STS and that did not make a difference. I tried three different stabs and that did not make a bit of difference. I seems to me that the noise is coming from the string itself and not from anything else. I know this is not really the best testing method but the thunk is driving me crazy. I put some cat whiskers on it but I think they are too short to help so I think I will redo those as well. I also made sure that everything was still tight as far as nuts and bolts go.
So does anyone have any ideas on how to quiet a string thunk?

Ear plugs.

peace
08-08-2011, 04:38 AM
Well a tink, thwack or a twang I might be able to help you out with but a thunk, I can't think what that might possibly be! :confused:

Sharxfan
08-08-2011, 04:49 AM
I know it is the weirdest thing. It happens even if the string is pulled only an inch back. Could it be some kind of vibration getting to hte limbs when the bow string is released?

Spiker, I would but it will be hard to get the deer to wear them until I can shoot them.

Arrow Splitter
08-08-2011, 04:59 AM
I don't know whether you have a cable guard or a TRG, but either of those might be making that noise.

MLN1963
08-08-2011, 06:00 AM
My guess is its the TRG. The inside cable is coming forward and thwacking against the front of the TRG cable groove. If you move the TRG forward slightly I bet you can get rid of it.

boobowbender
08-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Something isn't right, I could understand a thunk from a full draw but from a small amount of draw? :confused:

Not the rest?

x2
anything else tied to cables?

Sharxfan
08-08-2011, 12:34 PM
nope the only thing touching the cables are the cat whiskers and the TRG but at finger plucking distance not sure if the cables move enough on the TRG to cause the noise. I put some Limbsaver solid limb noise reducers on the limbs last night may go out later and try it out but the noise is still there when I pluck the string.

I may try messing with the TRG and maybe also relace the cat whiskers with some longer ones. How well do string leeches work?

MLN1963
08-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Shark

Is the left cable touching the front part of the TRG?

Sharxfan
08-08-2011, 02:48 PM
One of them is touching the TRG. If I move it back towards the front of the bow then I think the back one will hit the TRG at full draw.

MLN1963
08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
The way I see it if it touches in the back it isn't as big of deal. It can't be any worse than the old CCS. Move the TRG forward, even if it is temporary, to test my theory. When the cables come flying forward they slap that front part. To me that is something a animal would here and flinch or bolt.

Sharxfan
08-09-2011, 05:26 PM
I was checking around and was wondering what you guys think of using Bowjax on the STS and the TRG rods? I can get them fairly cheap from Sprtsman Guide.

Ehunter
08-09-2011, 05:40 PM
It might help a little, but if you are only pulling the string back an inch or so, and getting that "thunk", I doubt it would do any good. One thing, is it as loud just drawing back an inch as it is on the shot?

Sharxfan
08-09-2011, 06:05 PM
I messed with it the other night and have not gone out to shoot since. It has been like 95 in the shade down here in Bayou country.

Sharxfan
08-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Okay, so right now I am working on three computers to get them running and so while I am waiting for stuff to install I have been plucking the string on my Onza like a harpist and messing with the TRG,SOS and STS to track down the noise and eliminate it. So far it seems like it was coming from the SOS. So I took it off and the noise went down and traveled to the STS. I can't really do anything to the STS so I fiddled with the TRG bar and then put back the SOS. I had placed a piece of semi rigid foam behind the SOS to help absorb noise so I took it out from behind the SOS. I then adjusted the SOS so that it is barely off of the string and I plucked it again and the noise seems to have gone down. I am going to see if I can have the wife record me on the cell and try to see how loud is is about 10 yards away from the bow.