PDA

View Full Version : Super Diablo recurve questions?

Bansheewins
08-08-2011, 08:57 AM
All, I have purchased my first recurve bow this past weekend. It is a Super Diablo in perfect condition and I really like it. I have two questions and hope someone may be able to help me out. First off, I would like to know anything about this bow like when it was made or how old it is. Below is the information on the bow.

55# @ 28"
ESD 7215
AMO 60"

Super Diablo
USA Martin archery Inc ina circle with a deer picture.
Then has Damon Howatt signature on it.

Secondly, this bow seems to me to be very loud. I had jstu gotten into Traditional archery last year and purchased my first longbow which I love. I thought i would try a recurve so purchased this one. Never having one before this may be the nature of the beast but the recurve is so much louder than the longbow. I do have string silencers on but that doesn't seem to help at all. Not sure if it has to do with the wider limbs and the string slapping them but just really seems to be loud. Is there anything that I can do to help this.

Thanks
Larry

bucknuts17
08-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Larry the diablo has been around for years precursor to the dreamcatcher it should be a beautiful bow show us some pics. as far as the noise check the brace height should be 7 1/4 to 7 3/4 that may help also pick up a set of wool strings called the bow hush they wrap around your strings wherethey touch your limbs it quieted my dreamcatcher down alot good shooting

Destroyer
08-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Agree, check your brace height. Make sure the string is coming off the string groove before the groove ends. Another thing you can do is put 'String Groove Silencers' on the limbs to quieten it down more. http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=3559

What string do you have?

shaverd
08-09-2011, 05:58 AM
Secondly, this bow seems to me to be very loud........Never having one before this may be the nature of the beast but the recurve is so much louder than the longbow.

It is the nature of the beast. A recurve will be louder than a longbow. When you give up the silence you gain fps and a much softer release (less hand shock). The energy is in the arrow not your hand. As for stealth, there are some things you can do. As it has been said, check brace hieght and put silencers on the bow and string. You will never get it completely silent.

Sometimes just changing the string helps.

I have two strings made almost the same with the same silencers. I made both to have 16 strands with the same end serving but different center serving. One of the strings is almost silent when the other sounds like I plucked a string on guitar. It also slaps the bow with a little thump. I have tried changing types of sliencers. I've changed the location of the silencers and nothing works on this string. Maybe it is the different serving I used or maybe the twist is a little different. I do not know but the loud string is for fun and back-up. The silent one is for stealth and hunting.

I like wool strips or beaver skin silencers. I think Tarantula Legs are my favorite. I have even cut a piece of rabbit skin and made my own. This is a neat option because you can experiment with the size you need.

shaverd
08-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Another thing I just thought of is check the number of strands your bow string is. Fewer strands will twang lounder than a higher number of strands. You could lose a little fps with a thicker bow string but it will be quieter. The loss will be so small it won't matter.

DeepRiverBowman
08-14-2011, 06:43 PM
All good advice on the noise problem. Yes recurves are a little louder than a longbow due to more contact between the limbs and the string. Two more things to consider - Flemish strings tend to be quieter than endless loops. Also see what your end servings are made of. Single strand nylon serving tens to be harder and noisier than braided servings. The serving threads usually say something like, "Center serving" or "End serving" on them. And definately try the Bow Hush regardless of any other solutions you try. Bow Hush really works.

mike

Destroyer
08-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Flemish strings tend to be quieter than endless loops.

Don't agree, especially with Dacron Flemish. On my bows they have made more noise than endless loop, they are thicker and seem to 'slap' against the bow. I'm not a fan of them at all.

DeepRiverBowman
08-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Good point about Flemish being thicker. Maybe it's a wash between thicker vs. harder serving. What do you (Destroyer) serve the ends of your string with?

mike

shaverd
08-19-2011, 08:06 AM
I made camo bow sleeves to help with the glare on my bow. I had never shot my bow without those sleeves. Yesterday I had taken the limb sleeves off and shot my bow. I could not believe how much louder the bow sounded. The camo socks do more than camouflage the bows profile, it helps keep it silent as well.

I will use those sleeves for now on. You do take a very cold shower if you shoot the bow in wet conditions however. Water goes everywhere.

Destroyer
08-19-2011, 04:53 PM
What do you serve the ends of your string with?

3D or Brownell no.4

You do take a very cold shower if you shoot the bow in wet conditions however. Water goes everywhere.

If you use socks they can slow down the bow, especially when wet.

shaverd
08-23-2011, 06:45 PM

I agree 100% with you but I am still going to take a chance. I do not know how much FPS I am loosing but the arrow seems pretty fast. However, everything I have shot before this bow has been a lower # bow for target shooting only. It is hard to compare the speed to these because they are much slower.

Destroyer
08-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Not so much the actual speed loss, more about changing the speed but I'm guessing it wont be much. I haven't used socks for a long time.

elkslayer4x5
09-28-2011, 01:04 PM
3D or Brownell no.4

Your first set O socks looks pretty good, so make another set with waterproof nylon. Rockywoods in CO has a good selection in camo patterns. here's a brushed dual layer that weighs 6 oz per yard, but its spendy @ $17 a yard. :)

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Hunting-Camo-Waterproof-Breathable-Fabrics/Lightweight-Waterproof-Breathable-Nylon-Fabric-Realtree-APHD

shaverd
09-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Your first set O socks looks pretty good, so make another set with waterproof nylon. Rockywoods in CO has a good selection in camo patterns.

Thanks, I have been looking for a nice camo material. I make all my own camo including gloves, back packs, and light jackets. I grew up with a mom that taught us boys how to make our own clothes so I now decided to use those skills for hunting. I am not too good but it all works for me.

elkslayer4x5
10-02-2011, 04:30 AM
If Rockywoods does'nt have a camo pattern for you I have other fabric suppliers links, just let me know via pm. I make all of the camo gear that my family uses. :)
Like the pack on my bike.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/aablacktailleft.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Blacktail2500col.jpg

shaverd
10-03-2011, 06:27 PM
The saddle bags look great. How heavy is the material for those bags. Do you use manufactured patterns or do you make your own. I have been looking for a good backpack pattern. I made my own and its worked great but would like to find a better pattern.

elkslayer4x5
10-04-2011, 11:20 AM
I used 500 denier Cordura Nylon, a mid weight fabric, some 1" webbing, some 5/8" webbing, #5 YYK zippers, and a 10" piece of #3 YYK zipper. Its my own design, had no pattern. All I had was a goal size in mind when I started, pack has 2500 cu in capicity, more than enough for a quartered deer. The composite photo I posted shows the compression straps. I added those so I could cinch the load down snugly, did'nt want any shifting weight in the pack as most of the logging roads here are recovered with rock every few years, and comming down a 10-15 % grade riding over 1 1/2/- 2" rock gets a little 'shifty', if ya know what I mean. I think that I've seen a backpack pattern on RockyWoods site. You could also search for Frostline kits, now defunct, but they have a following and they swap patterns. Here's the fabric I used.

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Hunting-Camo-Medium-Weight-Fabrics/Advantage-Timber-500D-Cordura-Nylon-Fabric