PDA

View Full Version : Recurve Arrow Quiver

shaverd
08-08-2011, 03:05 PM
I am getting ready for my hunt and I decided that my back quiver is just in my way. I can't sit down with it and its hard to go under brush and branches. It does work great if I am standing or kneeling down. Its a backpack and quiver all in one and I would like to try something else.

I found a bow quiver that conects to the limbs of the recurve. Does anyone have any experience using one of these type of quivers on a traditional style bow? Does it affect the bend of the limbs? Does it get in the way on the mountain?

Destroyer
08-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Does it affect the bend of the limbs? Does it get in the way on the mountain?

Doesn't affect the limbs and it puts the quiver close to the bow so they are pretty good. The downside is the cost, lots of $$$ for the leather ones. All I would use is a Kwikee if you have the riser inserts for it.

shaverd
08-09-2011, 05:28 AM
Doesn't affect the limbs and it puts the quiver close to the bow so they are pretty good. The downside is the cost, lots of $$$ for the leather ones. All I would use is a Kwikee if you have the riser inserts for it.

Thanks, I had never heard about the Kwikee brand. I found a reasonably cheap priced quiver on thier web sight and I might try it out. As a matter of fact, its the best one I have seen yet.

I made a temporary limb quiver last night. It dosn't have a hood on it yet but if the idea works I will make a hood today. It holds the arrows great but I havn't shot with it to see if it will hold up to the torke from the shot.

Destroyer
08-09-2011, 02:23 PM
It holds the arrows great but I havn't shot with it to see if it will hold up to the torke from the shot.

If it works out post a photo, love the homemade stuff. :)

shaverd
08-11-2011, 07:19 AM
If it works out post a photo, love the homemade stuff. :)

Well, my home made quiver seems to work. Its sturdy and silent. No rattles or nocks when I shoot and walk. Its also very light weight.

Here are a few pictures of it:

My daughter tells me, "Its ghetto like everything else you own and make", lol. If she only new what it was made of, she would even think worse of it. The mounting straps are made from an old inner tube, from her bicycle with a peice of alluminum arrow attached to it to hold the arrow brackets and hood.

I made a camo sleave to hide the bows bright limbs and it fits over the quiver mount perfect.

I think I might buy the Kwickee model quiver for this bow but I will keep this quiver for one of my long bows. I am also making a 6 arrow quiver of the same style.

Destroyer
08-11-2011, 04:25 PM
My daughter tells me, "Its ghetto like everything else you own and make", lol.

'ghetto' lol! Why is that? Because it doesn't have 'sony' written all over it lol! ;)

Btw, are those alloy arrow grippers? :confused:

peace
08-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Like it a lot. Just wonder why its so shallow, is it deep enough to cover the broadheads completely? The leather and the stitching is hot, I like the big strands. It makes a bold statement.

daveinohio
08-12-2011, 06:10 AM
I found a pattern to cover a kwikkee kwiver hood with leather on the Bowsites Leather Wall. It is easy and looks really nice. Here is a link to a thread with his information. http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?forum=23&threadid=202275&messages=4&CATEGORY=9

shaverd
08-12-2011, 06:31 AM
'ghetto' lol! Why is that? Because it doesn't have 'sony' written all over it lol! ;)

Btw, are those alloy arrow grippers? :confused:

If it had away to text she would love it.

The arrow grippers are my biggest worry. They are made from plastic and I hope they are not too flimsy. So far they have held wonderfully.

Like it a lot. Just wonder why its so shallow, is it deep enough to cover the broadheads completely?

The hood is a little shallow. It was not intended. After I was done with it I noticed it was a little small but not terrible. After a couple of hours I went back and the leather had shrunk after it dried out. Now it is very small. I am trying to strecth the leather back out but not sure if it will work. The neat thing about do it yourself is I can try again if I have to.

Destroyer
08-12-2011, 05:46 PM
If it had away to text she would love it

Lol! And it would need a name like 'iquiver' ;)

DeepRiverBowman
08-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Great looking "iQuiver" Shaverd. I like home-made stuff as well. As to the Kwikie Kwiver, I've used one for years. It can be detached easily and is realitively silent when mounted. They make brackets that can be screwed to a tree or other surface so you can take the quiver off when you get to your stand and hang it up. I also have a home-made Kwiver bracket mounted to a piece of flat aluminum and covered with leather that hangs on my belt so I can use a Kwikie as a hip quiver too. They are very versatile with extra brackets. The two-piece types that mount on the limbs aren't so easy to take on and off.

mike

shaverd
08-14-2011, 07:52 PM
They make brackets that can be screwed to a tree or other surface so you can take the quiver off when you get to your stand and hang it up.

Thanks, I think I am going to get this set up eventually. I like the looks and the price of the Kwicke. My only problem with this bracket idea is with my memory I would probably walk away and forget my arrows on a tree. I'd be 10 yards away and see the deer of a life time, I would reach for an arrow and, s!*! #1 $ !*#. I would have to try and sneak back the the stand or start throwing rocks.

Or; I would get home and realize my arrows were missing. It would be fun explaning to the wife that I had to buy all new arrows and a quiver. I could see it now, "I just don't know what happen honey, their gone." I probably have to make a real good story about a bear and mountain lion or something. "Honest honey, the bear was chasing the cat with the arrows and I went the other way fast."

Right now I am making a second quiver that is just a little bigger and better. I do like having a quiver on the bow, the arrows are close and at the ready.

DeepRiverBowman
08-15-2011, 01:51 AM
Just be sure you load your bow quiver in the order you expect to shoot your arrows. I once drew down on "the deer of a lifetime" with my Judo and had to make up a story for why I didn't shoot - "Yes dear, he was right there, ten yards out and broadside, but I was distracted when a bear ran past me chasing a cougar that had a guy's bow quiver in his mouth . . ."

mike

shaverd
08-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Just be sure you load your bow quiver in the order you expect to shoot your arrows.

I like to carry an arrow with a blunt on it so I can have fun in the woods. I shoot small logs, rotten stumps and I might even shoot a little bunny rabbit if chance arises. I would hate to go for an arrow and pick up the blunt instead of a broadhead tipped arrow.

That would be hard to explaine as well. "It was a perfect shot right behind his shoulder but the arrow just bounced off the side of that deer." I guess it would put a nice bruise anyway.

shaverd
08-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Well, I finished my second quiver and it is bigger and deeper. I do not think it looks as nice as the first one but it holds six arrows instead of four. It seems to be holding up ok.

I will post pictures when I get a chance. Summer break is over and its a very busy time right now. Can't even find time to shoot more than a dozen arrows evey other day or so.