PDA

View Full Version : Dicks Martin bone hunter, idler pulley cutting string

landon0861
08-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Just picked up a bone hunter from dicks sporting goods, shot it maybe 40 times now the string is starting to cut on the idler pulley on top, the piece that holds the strings to the side for arrow clearance pulls so far that the part of the string in the pulley rubs the side which is slightly rough, worried that if I send the bow in for repair from virginia it may not make it back in time for early season, any thoughts?

Sharxfan
08-08-2011, 04:01 PM
I have heard that you can get fine sandpaper and smooth out the rough part of the casting and it should be fine.

peace
08-08-2011, 07:06 PM
If you are handy then turn out the limb bolts enough turns to loosen the string and cables up, remove the e-clips and pull the axles and remove the idler wheel and the cam from both ends.

Get as fine a sand paper as you can, I like 400 grit wet dry but higher numbers would be even better. Smooth out all the grooves and then clean the the cam and idlers to remove any loose grit before you put them back on.

You can use a q-tip or cotton ball to inspect the grooves for any burrs that can't be readily seen or felt. I just sand them all to be sure. Lube and clean the axles while you have them apart.

I have a hard to find specialty lube, an anti-seize that I like to use on any type of mechanical wheels, but you can use any of the recommended lubes.

Destroyer
08-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Can you post a couple of photo's?

pizzadave
08-09-2011, 02:50 AM
The Bone Hunter is the SAME bow as a Cheetah (which I own) I had the same issue.... The idler eventually does wear witih some shooting and it stops wearing... I used fine sandpaper on mine, but opted for new string that is served around the wheel.... most new single cam martin bows with the hammerhead string come served with clear serving.... I am guessing because of the complaints of string wear. The Bone Hunter has just 30 " ATA, which causes a ton of string angle leaving the cam and idler on the bow.... Sand it, and don't be stingy on your wax, and if you have the means..... serve it. Serving may "slow you down" but it's better than having to shell out $100 for new strings every year. That is just my experience with the super short bow, so I hope it helps! While you are inspecting your bow, watch for wear on the cam leaving the cam module, may have to wax is there alot too.... Once you get the string wear addressed, it should be a sweet bow!

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Do you happen to know if the Bone Hunter you bought is a 2010 model? I think it would be because Dicks has a diff version of the 2011 Exile out. I have a 2010 Cheetah and the strings on the 2010 Gold series bows were not good. The 2011 strings have been upgraded. I would just go buy another string to be safe if its the 2010 string. In fact I put a custom string on mine last year and its been great. I got it from a guy that Bfisher recommended. I got in from some guy in PA. called H & M Bowstrings. Here is the link http://www.hmbowstrings.com I bought my string from them for $50. Just as durable and a lot less than a $100 by other top companies.

landon0861
08-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks everyone for all the good info, I'm going to smooth it with fine grit, just wanted some opinions before I did anything that might void the warranty, but the string has at least 1 strand busted maybe 2 at this point, is it safe to shoot or should I not risk it? would Martin or dicks possibly replace the string for me?, Might try to get some pics up in a day or two. This is my first first short bow so again thanks for advice and experience!

landon0861
08-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Another question, I noticed that on the side of the cam there are two string anchor positions labeled "1" and "2", what is the difference? mine is stock at pos 1, thanks

Destroyer
08-10-2011, 01:03 AM
but the string has at least 1 strand busted maybe 2 at this point, is it safe to shoot or should I not risk it?

Nope. If you can put the bow in for a warranty it might be a better option. They can look at the idler problems as well.

I noticed that on the side of the cam there are two string anchor positions labeled "1" and "2"

Adjust the draw length 1/2".

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-10-2011, 12:17 PM
[Adjust the draw length 1/2".[/QUOTE]

You can't adjust the draw lengths by 1/2" the modules are set for 1 inch at a time. If that string is a 2010 Gold series String junk it and put a custom sting on it. Is your string an orangish color? Did you see my post Landon?

Destroyer
08-10-2011, 02:22 PM
You can't adjust the draw lengths by 1/2" the modules are set for 1 inch at a time.

What the heck are you on about? :confused:

Check the manuals.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Im trying to figure out if his bow is a 2010 or 2011. Im guessing its a 2010. If so the modules only run to nearest inch like F1 25 in. F2 26 in. etc. Im not sure how the modules go for 2011. If its a 2010 bow those strings were terrible to begin with on the Gold Series bows. Now Martin has put better strings on the 2011 Gold line bows.

bfisher
08-10-2011, 04:39 PM
The modules are the same for 2011 as for 2010 and all prior years----1". I'd really like to see a pic of the cam, but if it does have two posts for the string then the #2 post can certainly be used to decrease the draw length by 1/2". If you just get on Martin's website and take a close look at the 2010 and 2011 catalogs for comparison you can see the difference between the 2010 and 2011 cam.

As for the string. If it has a couple broken strands then I wouldn't shoot it. And I wouldn't shoot it with a new one either until the idler wheel situation is resolved. It's very easy to tell whether you have the better strings used on 2011 bows. In 2010 they were a verigrated (spelling?) material (salt and pepper looking) whereas the new Hammer strings are a pure two tone---half black strands and half fl. green. The Hammer strings arethe ones used on all of the 2011 lineup, including Rytera.

landon0861
08-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Took it to dicks today, they are going to replace the string and install an adjustable bar to release some of the tension, it has the string that is half black, half yellow but I'm going to get a better one and just keep the yellow as a spare. thanks

Destroyer
08-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Good to hear they are fixing it. :)

Skbengal
08-13-2011, 07:16 AM
When I got my Bengal it started to chew up the string at the idler.The problem was excessive idler lean.It's just a matter of twisting one side of your cable yoke a few twists to get the idler running true again.Just a thought.