PDA

View Full Version : Stuck module screws.

SkyChi
08-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Took my Scepter down to clean, lube, inspect and discovered that two of the module screws are stuck in the cams. Same one in both Nitrous cams. The one that rides in the slotted hole. The others were a little tight but came out. I have quality allen wrenches but don't want to pull any harder.

Anyhow I've put a little Kroil Oil penetrant on them and no joy. Put a little heat on the base cam with a heat gut and still no joy. Other than letting them soak overnight does anybody have suggestions/tricks to offer?

Speedykills
08-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Ok this might work,put allen wrench in screw and lightly tap allen wrench with a hammer,lightly tap it see if that wont loosen it up.

HawgEnvy
08-10-2011, 02:40 PM
try this

works great on everything else. soak and let sit overnight. ive never had to use it on bows so let us know if it works.

Destroyer
08-10-2011, 02:47 PM
I usually try some wd40 or penetrating oil but it doesn't always work. The problem lies in the socket screws themselves I think, there not made very strong especially the allen key holes. You could try putting a little more force on the allen key or maybe using a Allen bit but its risky. You might end up having to do some slotting in the screw like me if you round the allen key holes. :(

I hope someone has a better suggestion.

HawgEnvy
08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
its definately a touchy area. how would he slot the screws w/o damaging the cam. makes me cringe.

Destroyer
08-10-2011, 03:00 PM
how would he slot the screws w/o damaging the cam. makes me cringe.

I'll be doing mine with a dremel tool, very carefully. I've been putting in off for the last couple of weeks, I'm waiting or my limbs to be made/sent so its been a good excuse not to do it.

Just thinking about it makes me cringe too! ;)

SkyChi
08-10-2011, 03:14 PM
PB Blaster and Kroil Oil are both good products. The best penetrant oil I've ever seen is Mouse Milk though. A couple Airplane mechanics I know introduced me to it. Gotta get me another bottle. http://www.mousemilk.com/

I'll keep Kroiling and tapping and heating till I get them out. Thanks for the input.

cjchasman
08-10-2011, 03:43 PM
If you have room try a soldering gun and an ice cube. No kidding...several cycles of hot and cold usually does the trick. Don't melt anything! ;)

SkyChi
08-10-2011, 03:51 PM
If you have room try a soldering gun and an ice cube. No kidding...several cycles of hot and cold usually does the trick. Don't melt anything! ;)

I like that. I've got the cams off the bow. My heat gun will get them so hot you can't hold them but the soldering gun will localize the heat better. I'll be back.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-10-2011, 04:03 PM
try this

works great on everything else. soak and let sit overnight. ive never had to use it on bows so let us know if it works.I'd drink that stuff if it would help me loosen up :rolleyes:

Hutch:cool:

HawgEnvy
08-10-2011, 04:44 PM
I'd drink that stuff if it would help me loosen up :rolleyes:

Hutch:cool:

COFFEE! to bad your allergic.

Destroyer
08-10-2011, 06:05 PM
If you have room try a soldering gun

Great idea chas! Normally I will insert a allen key and heat it up so I don't stuff the cam but a soldering gun might just do a better job. :D

gravedigger
08-10-2011, 07:14 PM
mouse milk is awsome.i use it and wish had a bit more,but since i found ZEP i dont know what one i like more.zep is great.it climbs the threads.you can spray a bit on the bottom of a perty long bolt and watch it climb right up them threads

Destroyer
08-10-2011, 07:53 PM
SUCCESS!!!

One cam was easy using penetrating oil and a soldering iron. The other took a bit more, amazing considering how stripped it was. Just glad I didn't have to cut a slot, not a lot of room for error on this cam. I probably would have cut the module off and purchaced another set.

BIG thank you to cjchasman and his great idea! :D Another thank you to SkyChi for helping to motivate me to get my ass off the chair and try. :)

mouse milk is awsome

Name sounds a bit sus GD. ;) Is this it ?http://www.mousemilk.com/

gravedigger
08-10-2011, 08:00 PM
SUCCESS!!!

Name sounds a bit sus GD. ;) Is this it ?http://www.mousemilk.com/

sure is,but im haveing to go with ZEP twister these days.it is just the beez knees.lmao

boobowbender
08-11-2011, 12:36 AM
you guys are good! I definitely would have kept turning harder till it looked like destroyers

peace
08-11-2011, 12:39 AM
...it looks like you got a screw loose... :cool:

madlaz
08-11-2011, 01:26 AM
after you get it out when you replace it coat it with bow wax and you wont have that problem again

SkyChi
08-11-2011, 02:42 AM
Not sure what did it, heat, heat/cold, tapping, Kroil, Break Free CLP, overnight soaking then more of the other stuff but one is out. I will persevere.

It is a thing of beauty ain't it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

bfisher
08-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Not sure what did it, heat, heat/cold, tapping, Kroil, Break Free CLP, overnight soaking then more of the other stuff but one is out. I will persevere.

It is a thing of beauty ain't it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Looks like you're missing the a module there. You know. The X-mod. Those Nitrous cams certainly are a thing of beauty. Too bad Martin didn't see fit to change the shape of the modules to give them the draw cycle of the binary (Cat) cams. They scrapped one of the best-ever cam systems instead of just improving it.

SkyChi
08-11-2011, 03:27 AM
I'm in the market for X-Mods for sure. My 04 SlayR had them and I wish I still had it. In the meantime a set of 65% mods will be here in the next few days.

I'll give cash money and a couple loafes of my Wifes wicked good home made Sourdough Wheat bread for a set.

MLN1963
08-11-2011, 04:48 AM
after you get it out when you replace it coat it with bow wax and you wont have that problem again

For a better fix use anti-seize on the head of the screw and LocTite 242/243 on the threads.

MLN1963
08-11-2011, 04:53 AM
It looks like I will be doing this eventually. When I took my screws out to anti-seize and LocTite them I couldn't get one out. Since it is at the right draw length I'm in no hurry.

cjchasman
08-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Destroyer...Glad to be of assistance.

cj :)

Destroyer
08-11-2011, 04:03 PM
I definitely would have kept turning harder till it looked like destroyers

Lol! Should stop before it gets to that stage but didn't with this bow for some reason. :confused:

...it looks like you got a screw loose...

Terrible peace......lol!

It looks like I will be doing this eventually. When I took my screws out to anti-seize and LocTite them I couldn't get one out. Since it is at the right draw length I'm in no hurry.

I was happy with my draw length too but knowing the screws were locked I just had to get them out, it would have been playing on my mind when shooting. Won't using loctite on these cams. :eek:

Destroyer...Glad to be of assistance.

Its a good technique. I wonder if the soldering iron is heating it up just enough but not frying the oil? Anyway cheers cj!

SkyChi
08-11-2011, 04:58 PM
That last screw fought hard but it's done. I'm convinced it wasn't the threads that were stuck but the head of the countersunk flathead screws in their slots. You can see indentations in the slotted hole where the screw seats. A little food grade antisieze has been applied to keep it from being a problem again.

I got everything cleaned, slicked up, reassembled and the cams timed. Don't think I will completely set the bow up until I get some new strangs from Mr. Hutch.

Notice the twisted allen wrench. It was considerably worse when the screw finally let go.

Ain't she purdy. Never mind that ugly black thing. It's the wrong brand anyhow. :)

gravedigger
08-11-2011, 05:30 PM
for sure it got sloted in,and first thing i saw befor i read was that twisted allen wrench....wow

Destroyer
08-11-2011, 06:57 PM
was that twisted allen wrench....wow

WOW exactly! Must have been a very good fit or lower strength, I stripped the hex screw before that could happen. Good to see you were successful anyway. Really its a poor design that angled slot, should be flat. No wonder it bit in.

Btw, the screws for the modules on my cats are 'countersunk flat socket head 8-32x7/16'. Not common here, had a bugger of a time finding them. :(

gravedigger
08-11-2011, 07:04 PM
flat socket head 8-32x7/16'. Not common here, had a bugger of a time finding them. :(

i will trade ya,99% of the tools i use are metric,i work on toyota,volkswagon.ect antd its mertic all the way.even a chevy luv i had took metric because they have izuzu motors.

Destroyer
08-11-2011, 07:22 PM
99% of the tools i use are metric

You would like it here then, mostly all metric. I purchased 25 screws pretty cheap (for here), they said they will NEVER get them in again.

bfisher
08-12-2011, 04:56 AM
Lookin at that screw I know what I'd have done. Dig out the drill.

SkyChi
08-12-2011, 06:33 AM
It crossed my mind but I wasn't in any hurry. Was able to save the screw and didn't bogger anything else up so I'm happy. Waiting on the 65% mods and will get strings before I go ahead with setup/tuning.

MLN1963
08-12-2011, 07:19 AM
It seems like heating the aluminum cam would be the easiest way to go. It will expand and contract more than the steel screw.

SkyChi
08-12-2011, 08:15 AM
I did, about 50 times. Heat gun, soldering iron, hot then cold w/ice, two kinds of penetrating oil, soaked for hours, tapped, had the Wife tap while I twisted and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. Can't be sure what did the trick but it finally gave up.

Actually think I done good. Didn't cuss or scream or throw a single thing. I've mellowed considerably. :)

gravedigger
08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Actually think I done good. Didn't cuss or scream or throw a single thing. I've mellowed considerably. :)

you are a stronger man then i,stuff would have been flying allover the house if it were me

Destroyer
08-12-2011, 05:55 PM
For a better fix use anti-seize on the head of the screw and LocTite 242/243 on the threads.

Discussing this with my brother yesterday. I mentioned using the loctite and though it might cause more problems then he said that It would not only stop them from vibrating loose but should stop them from tightening up, didn't think of that. Still apprehensive to do it though.

Didn't cuss or scream or throw a single thing. I've mellowed considerably. :)

Same here, did that weeks a go.

stuff would have been flying allover the house if it were me

Yes its 'therapeutic'. Release those negative vibes, breathe, release, curse, breath, repeat......... ;)