PDA

View Full Version : Arrow squaring?

boobowbender
08-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Who squares the ends of their arrows? what tool do you use? and is there a cheaper alternative to g5 or lumenock?
Thanks in advance

Ehunter
08-11-2011, 01:27 PM
I use the FAST tool from Lumenok. Way cheaper than the G5 tool. It also lets you square the ends if the arrow is already fletched. Downside to the FAST is that in actuality, it's slower than the G5. lol I never thought it mattered that much if you squared the ends or not, but after doing it the last few years, I can tell you it does seem to help, especially with broadheads. A good square arrow lets everything fit better, and makes a tougher arrow as well. I square both the nock, and insert ends of each arrow.

Spiker
08-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I use the G5 too. Kind of spendy but worth it - especially when your arrow saw is as old as mine.
I do both ends of the arrow shaft and then the face of the insert after it is installed.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I built my own. A long bolt that fits the shaft of the arrow. with a washer welded to the bottom. A piece of sand paper stuck to the washer and it works great. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1533682&highlight=Squaring+tool

Here is a link to another one http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1546688

Hutch:cool:

Destroyer
08-11-2011, 03:54 PM
G5 ASD. I bought it because I use a angle grinder in a stand to cut my arrows and the cut is a bit rough. :)

Rangerj
08-11-2011, 04:35 PM
G5 ASD for me also.

polaris754
08-11-2011, 04:57 PM
hey i use a racheting tubeing cutter made by kd werks great

gravedigger
08-11-2011, 05:31 PM
my wife wont let me buy anything to build arrows till i bring home an elk:(

Spiker
08-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Only 16 days left till we can go chase them here. ;)

gravedigger
08-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Only 16 days left till we can go chase them here. ;)

same with me,27th is opening day.i got 10 or 12 days off work,just bought the last of my food.im going for the whole 10 to 12 days im taking off.counding every second,its a hurry up and wait situation

Destroyer
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM

That's a bit mean. Doesn't she realize that with more gear you will be more successful?

"I would have hit that elk if my arrows were squared correctly".

;)

Destroyer
08-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Well, I got it figure this way; If the arrows are cut correctly there is no need to square ends.

I agree with you to a point Sonny. My last 6 arrows I made for hunting, I didn't do anything to them after cutting and the shoot fine. Might be able to blame them if I miss next time. ;)

gravedigger
08-12-2011, 05:51 AM
D, dang it. You know dang well a bow has a lot of misses in it. You have to shoot the misses out and kept them shot out. Seen this a lot when Trap Shooting. And the thing is, them misses seem to sneak back in so you have watch carefully. Of course, sometimes you have to shake the arrow as they a tendency to fall asleep on the job.

now thats a bit of wizdom right ther

shaverd
08-12-2011, 06:13 AM
And the thing is, them misses seem to sneak back in so you have watch carefully. Of course, sometimes you have to shake the arrow as they a tendency to fall asleep on the job.

Now I know why I had a bad shooting day yesterday. I guess I will have to wake those arrows up today. I hope they're not hibernating for the up coming winter, I need them next month.

Destroyer
08-12-2011, 05:41 PM
you have to shake the arrow as they a tendency to fall asleep on the job.

ROLF!!! :D

Just keep forgetting about that........