PDA

View Full Version : Muzzy's for practice?

parttimr
08-11-2011, 04:24 PM
For those of you who shoot the Muzzy's do you use the practice blades or the real thing. Checking the impact of the ST 100's and the MX3's. Seems the practice blades are shaped differently and I would assume they would fly differently than the real blades. The ST's are pretty much dead on to the FP's but want to try the Muzzy'snto see hoe close they are.

Destroyer
08-11-2011, 04:55 PM
For those of you who shoot the Muzzy's do you use the practice blades or the real thing.

I don't shoot them much anymore but when I did I used the real blades for tuning.

Speedykills
08-11-2011, 04:55 PM
I use the MX3 and the practise blade is spot on.

parttimr
08-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Well if nothing else makes my decision is the fact I can't get the darn things together, lol

gravedigger
08-11-2011, 05:23 PM
i shoot muzzy and use the practice blades.first time i shot them i used the practice blades then the real blades because i thought the same as you.but they shoot the same.when they say bad to the bone,they meen it

Speedykills
08-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Ya i took my 6 pointer last season and a nice hog with them.Cant wait to run some through the Ross.

bfisher
08-12-2011, 04:48 AM
Replaceable blade heads have some good qualities. One is that you can replace the blades---DUH. Over the years when I have bought new broadheads (not often) I always buy a good supply of new blades. Then the ones that come with the ferrules are my practice blades. Night before season starts I put new ones in and keep the old ones for next year's tuning sessions. Other than tuning or checking arrow flight from year to year I do not practice with broadheads. If they tune and shoot fine then there's no reason to just keep on practicing with them. They're too hard on targets anyway. And most are getting rediculously expensive.

gravedigger
08-12-2011, 05:44 AM
Other than tuning or checking arrow flight from year to year I do not practice with broadheads. If they tune and shoot fine then there's no reason to just keep on practicing with them. They're too hard on targets anyway. And most are getting rediculously expensive.

x2,i do my broadhead shots about 1 week befor opening day.

elkslayer4x5
08-12-2011, 07:50 AM
I found no difference between the Muzzy practice blades and the real ones, although they do look differnt. That being said, I don't bother with the practice blades, but use the real blade for tuning, and then resharpen them, only takes a few strokes on a hard stone. Same old Saunder's broadhead stone that I used to sharpen the old Bear razorheads that I used to shoot. I've had that stone since the 1960's. :cool:

bfisher
08-12-2011, 10:37 AM
I found no difference between the Muzzy practice blades and the real ones, although they do look differnt. That being said, I don't bother with the practice blades, but use the real blade for tuning, and then resharpen them, only takes a few strokes on a hard stone. Same old Saunder's broadhead stone that I used to sharpen the old Bear razorheads that I used to shoot. I've had that stone since the 1960's. :cool:

Bear Razorheads? Man, you are old---like me. Does Savora strike a bell?

Ehunter
08-12-2011, 04:39 PM
I actually have 3 old Bear Razorheads that have never been shot. Got them about 20 years ago, and just never shot them for some reason. Wasn't Savora a broadhead too?

Destroyer
08-12-2011, 06:14 PM
I actually have 3 old Bear Razorheads that have never been shot. Got them about 20 years ago, and just never shot them for some reason.

Collectible now, bring good $$ on ebay.

peace
08-13-2011, 07:35 AM
I Just shoot the real heads as the practice heads do as much if not more damage to your target upon retrieval as the real heads do. I keep my broad heads on their arrows as I prefer to be ready for a SHTF scenario and be a survivor. I keep about a dozen arrows ready to hunt small and big game always.

Never know when a Red Dawn may occur and one might need to get into Wolverine mode. :cool:

DeepRiverBowman
08-16-2011, 06:47 PM
I still shoot Bear Razorheads - and they're still reasonably priced. At least they were. I see they are not sold (new) anymore. I can't believe Bear would retire such a good head.

mike

bob cooly
07-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Peace there is no fan, I just keep buying taller rubber boots every year. I shoot before the season enough to make sure I am good, may 10 or 12 shoots fron 20 - 50 yards.

Bent Arrow
07-19-2012, 04:02 PM
For those of you who shoot the Muzzy's do you use the practice blades or the real thing. Checking the impact of the ST 100's and the MX3's. Seems the practice blades are shaped differently and I would assume they would fly differently than the real blades. The ST's are pretty much dead on to the FP's but want to try the Muzzy'snto see hoe close they are.
Practice blades. Found very small difference between them and the hunting blades. That goes for both my recurve and crossbow for that matter. Saves a little on your targets too.