PDA

View Full Version : Saber just broke in half.

TaneumHunter
08-14-2011, 04:15 PM
05' Saber broke in half at full draw just below the grip. The upper limb missed my eye by about an inch. What will Martin do for me? I don't have the original receipt. I do have the date and place of purchase. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Arrow Splitter
08-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Call Martin and ask for Joel. I am sure he will take care of you, even without the receipt.

Arrow Splitter
08-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Oh by the way, Welcome to the forum.:)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Welcome to the forum, That is too bad for your bow but I hope your all right. As stated call martin and talk to joel. Take pics just in case he wants you to email them to him.

Hutch:cool:

Destroyer
08-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Take pics just in case he wants you to email them to him.

And can you post photos here too? Very interested to see this. I've heard about it happening to bows before but never actually seen it. Good to hear you didn't get injured. :)

Speedykills
08-14-2011, 05:14 PM
05' Saber broke in half at full draw just below the grip. The upper limb missed my eye by about an inch. What will Martin do for me? I don't have the original receipt. I do have the date and place of purchase. Any help would be great. Thanks.

I would just put some JB weld on it and you'll be fine.......JK...wow that suck's glad your allright,i would also like to see a pic of the bow.

TaneumHunter
08-14-2011, 05:45 PM
These pictures were taken seconds after it happened. Thanks to all who replied, I will call Joel tomorrow. Hope the pictures come through. 39203919

peace
08-14-2011, 05:48 PM
That requires pictures. It would be nice to know the nature of this failure in a riser.
Glad you weren't hurt. A compound bow is a machine, hand held and human powered, but a machine nonetheless and machines do experience failure.

Man that is a serious break there. Thanks for the picture. Right below the grip. Wow, that had to be scary. Reminds me of metal shear and stress tests we used to do in lab.

Speedykills
08-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Ya that would be some scary stuff..........did you make the wood side plates yourself!

TaneumHunter
08-14-2011, 05:58 PM
I think its a design failure. I've seen pictures of other Sabers break at the same spot. I hope Martin will credit me for a new bow. I sure don't want another Saber. I'm leaning toward the Exile or Ridge Hunter but reading about TRG problems has me worried.

TaneumHunter
08-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Ya that would be some scary stuff..........did you make the wood side plates yourself!

Yeah, I was worried the stock rubber grip was creating bow torque. Thanks for noticing!

Destroyer
08-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Absolutely amazing, not just a crack but a complete break. :eek:

Hopefully Martin will sort this out asap. :)

NY_Bowhunter
08-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Most important thing is you didn't get seriously injured. WHEW!!! That would have required a change of shorts and a quick shock from a defibrillator if that had happened to me!!!! That is scary!!! Thanks for posting pics as I've heard a few state riser breaks/bends from all different manufacturers but I have never seen pics of a true break before.

gravedigger
08-14-2011, 07:43 PM
dam that is flat out scarry.happy to hear you did not get jacked up from the break,im sure you will be getting a new bow sent to ya.

Money Man
08-14-2011, 08:09 PM
when you talk to Joel, if he has you send an email, it might be a good idea to take a photo of the sticker on the limb with all the info on it.

TaneumHunter
08-15-2011, 05:23 AM
when you talk to Joel, if he has you send an email, it might be a good idea to take a photo of the sticker on the limb with all the info on it.

Good idea, I'll call him asap today. I don't care if I have to drive to the factory, opening day is two weeks away.

HawgEnvy
08-15-2011, 06:39 AM
at least your in the same state. i think id make the drive anyway and would probably insist on leaving Martin with a new bow in my hands. and i got a little jumpy when my release kept slipping off the d-loop. cant imagine having the whole bow come apart. welcome to the forum. hope all goes better for you.

het,whats your draw length? if they cant get it figured out soon enough, i could loan you my Cheetah. just a thought. it would suck to miss opening day. i guess thats why have a back-up...or 3 lol

TaneumHunter
08-15-2011, 09:39 AM
at least your in the same state. i think id make the drive anyway and would probably insist on leaving Martin with a new bow in my hands. and i got a little jumpy when my release kept slipping off the d-loop. cant imagine having the whole bow come apart. welcome to the forum. hope all goes better for you.

het,whats your draw length? if they cant get it figured out soon enough, i could loan you my Cheetah. just a thought. it would suck to miss opening day. i guess thats why have a back-up...or 3 lol

Hey thanks for the offer....heading down to martin either today or wednesday...not coming home without a bow in hand!

TaneumHunter
08-15-2011, 10:21 AM
UPDATE - Talked to Brandon at Martin, they are building a Ridge Hunter right now for me. Driving 6 hours round trip to pick it up. Excellent customer service so far!

EnglishKev
08-15-2011, 12:05 PM
UPDATE - Talked to Brandon at Martin, they are building a Ridge Hunter right now for me. Driving 6 hours round trip to pick it up. Excellent customer service so far!

Cool.
That is a result, congrats.
Just looked the Ridge Hunter up, nice looking bow.
Let us know how it shoots.

Kev

gravedigger
08-15-2011, 01:15 PM

that is great,another point for martin CS.well know we all know the trick to getting newer model bows,just need them to snap in half.lol.so what are you going to do with the broke one.is martin going to want it for there records or are they going to let ya kepp it for the wall of shame.

wscywabbit
08-15-2011, 03:14 PM
I have an '05 Saber as well, and well that's just plain scary! Glad to hear they're getting you a new bow but man what a scary experience! Goes to show you how much strain these bows are really under...

polaris754
08-15-2011, 03:49 PM
man that musta been scary as all blank when that puppy cut loose, hope yer ok? looks like a few new bows from martin for that one , i would pick all the good ones , ps get me a ridge hunter please lol good luc my freind

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-15-2011, 04:45 PM
TaneumHunter, That is good news. Happy shooting! Let us see some pics! of your new baby!

Hutch:cool:

dragonsfire311
08-15-2011, 06:27 PM
glad to hear they are replacing the bow. did it give any warning before it let go like a creek or some other noise? or just pop and oh %#$Y.

TaneumHunter
08-16-2011, 06:17 AM
that is great,another point for martin CS.well know we all know the trick to getting newer model bows,just need them to snap in half.lol.so what are you going to do with the broke one.is martin going to want it for there records or are they going to let ya kepp it for the wall of shame.

They wanted the bow. I don't know what for...maybe R&D, not sure.

TaneumHunter
08-16-2011, 06:21 AM
glad to hear they are replacing the bow. did it give any warning before it let go like a creek or some other noise? or just pop and oh %#$Y.

Absolutley, no warning at all.

TaneumHunter
08-16-2011, 06:27 AM
I have an '05 Saber as well, and well that's just plain scary! Glad to hear they're getting you a new bow but man what a scary experience! Goes to show you how much strain these bows are really under...

If you still use the bow I would HIGHLY recommend eye protection. This isn't the first time an 05 Saber has failed at that location. The upper limb got me an inch below my right eye. This is why I stepped up to the aluminum riser. Your eye's are priceless, it's not worth it.