PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizer .... really??

NY_Bowhunter
08-15-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm wondering if a stabilizer is really needed?? What does it do? I have previously used the SIMS S and X coil stabilizers, but I see all of these other stabilizers that are alot of money and of sometimes ODD designs and I find myself wondering ..... is it really needed???

sirfunkeybut
08-16-2011, 01:47 AM
I can't say yes or no, but I think its more of a personal preference. I've personally shot with a stabilizer for the last four years and recently removed it and shoot better. My groups improved by an inch out past 40 yards. With broadheads I'm grouping 2-3 in at 40 yards. That used to be my 30 yard grouping. And its not me getting better at shooting as I have been shooting all week and removed and improved today

Speedykills
08-16-2011, 03:06 AM
I think there needed on some bows more than other's.Heavy bows might just need a sims where lighter bows might need one a little longer and heavier to balance it out.
I use a sims myself on both my bows seems to fit the bill for me.

Simple Life
08-16-2011, 03:09 AM
Up to you,but a good stabilizer should make you more accurate by acting like a counter balance,keeping the bow stable.They also help in shock and noise reduction.

gravedigger
08-16-2011, 05:49 AM
i dont use a stab at all.its just that much more on my bow i dont want,i dont like how it sticks out.could be the one thing that grabs a stick when im getting ready to shoot and scare off my elk.i

j-bo
08-16-2011, 05:56 AM
Up to you,but a good stabilizer should make you more accurate by acting like a counter balance,keeping the bow stable.They also help in shock and noise reduction.

That about sums it up.

Ehunter
08-16-2011, 04:45 PM
I use a stabilizer for both balance, and shock reduction. To me, they aren't so much for noise, but a good stabilizer will reduce shock down significantly, and also balance the bow better for a steadier shot. A bad stablizer will do little to nothing.

Jake-the-snake
08-16-2011, 04:55 PM
If you can try to find someone with a stabilizer set. such as a long front bar, say 28-32" and a side bar, that comes off the left side of your bow (if your a right handed shooter). The difference between that, and your basic sims (great hunting stabs) is balance...its amazing how much differently your bow will react. I know I will be buying a set from Bernie"s control freak stabs. For hunters, the need for the "fancy" stuff is, well, not needed lol. for guys like me, who love shooting targets (not as much as hunting) there is definately a need. It CAN and WILL make a difference between a 12 or a 10 on a 3d target, or "x" and a 5 on spots.

DeepRiverBowman
08-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Probably the best way to decide if a stabilizer is right for you and the best type is to start with a few fresh targets and shoot some groups with and without stabilizers. See how much difference there is. You can probably get a couple of your buddies to let you try theirs to get the feel for different ones. As for paying nearly as much for a stabilizer as you paid for your bow, I think that's over the top. I prefer the hydraulic types for the dampening and noise absorbtion, then I find a weight and length that balances the bow so it just tips forward on release.

mike

NY_Bowhunter
08-16-2011, 09:10 PM
I prefer the hydraulic types for the dampening and noise absorbtion, then I find a weight and length that balances the bow so it just tips forward on release.

mike

When I shoot my bow it's dead in the hand, no shock at all, and it falls forward slowly after the shot. I have nothing at all on my bow other than the rest, sights and a peep and D loop. I feel kinda weird as everyone else has string silencers and stab's and limbsavers and such, and yet my bow is quieter than theirs and seems to be very well balanced. That's the reason I was asking if it was something actually needed. I realize the SIMS are fairly light and I don't know if putting one on would help anything or do nothing at all. How would one attach a wrist sling without a stab?? Just a bolt?? (only my second year bowhunting so I'm still learning alot!!)

boobowbender
08-17-2011, 09:28 PM
My bow doesn't fall forward and my stab is a 11 in doinker. my fifty yard groups seem to be scattered up and down but in a straight vertical line. ? do i need to try a target stab? how do i get my bow to fall forward. been shooting 25 years and bow has nevver fell forward. i see all target guys have it fall forward, what am i doing wrong. can shoot golf tees at twenty!

Destroyer
08-17-2011, 11:13 PM
my fifty yard groups seem to be scattered up and down but in a straight vertical line.

Usually a problem with draw length, too short. Don't worry about having your bow rotating forward, I don't see the point.

Jake-the-snake
08-18-2011, 02:36 AM
Usually a problem with draw length, too short. Don't worry about having your bow rotating forward, I don't see the point.

it doesnt have to fall forward, but it does help a lot with consistancy during and after the shot...

Destroyer
08-18-2011, 02:46 AM
it does help a lot with consistancy during and after the shot...

Probably helps some but not everyone does it and they still shoot fine, especially compound shooters. I think its more of a recurve thing anyway.

cyclepath
08-18-2011, 05:49 AM
There was a very interesting article in septembers issue of petersons bow hunting magazine about stabilizers.
Accordingly a stabilizer is better than no stabilizer. Shorter stabs are more for vibration and noise while longer ones are more for aiming.
Longer stabs with all the weight at the end is what you are looking for if you want your sight pin stay still.
It is still a personal choice but trying different stabs may give you a new outlook on them.
It's a pretty long article but very good reading. If you get the chance to check it out it may be worth while.

Scott
08-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Depends on the bow. If it's a G5 you will need all the help you can get to keep it from jumping out of your hand. If it's a Rytera Alien X, it's only needed to hold the wrist strap.

cyclepath
08-18-2011, 07:19 PM
If it's a G5 you will need all the help you can get to keep it from jumping out of your hand.

That's just sad. LOL :p:p:p

NY_Bowhunter
08-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Depends on the bow. If it's a G5 you will need all the help you can get to keep it from jumping out of your hand. If it's a Rytera Alien X, it's only needed to hold the wrist strap.

what the .... LMFAO!!!! The bow I'm referring to is my 2011 Bear Carnage. I bought it because at $450 drop shipped from Bear brand new in the box and all, I couldn't go wrong. :) I love my Slayer X and I'll never part with it cause it is a really nice bow and alittle different animal than the Carnage. I do have the 4.5" SIMS X coil on the Slayer X and I'm not sure that does much at all. The Slayer X also slowly tips forward after the shot. I know alot is preference as to whether you allow the bow to fall forward, but I was taught to relax and have a loose grip on the bow (almost no grip at all) and pretty much remain still after the follow through and let the bow fall forward. All of my bows fall forward slowly after the shot. My fiance had asked me why the top of the bow always falls forward ... I replied "because it's top heavy unlike you A cup!!!" .... what was to follow was horrifying and I'm lucky to be here today.

Destroyer
08-19-2011, 01:44 AM
what the .... LMFAO!!!! The bow I'm referring to is my 2011 Bear Carnage. I bought it because at $450 drop shipped from Bear brand new in the box and all, I couldn't go wrong.

That is all you paid? How? Why? So jealous....

NY_Bowhunter
08-19-2011, 06:23 AM
That is all you paid? How? Why? So jealous....

Yes that is all I paid.

How? Via Pay Pal of course .... seriously though, I got it from a guy that had closed his archery shop. I offered him $450 shipped to my door and he agreed. I thought it was a scam at first, but NOPE!! 4 days later in pulls UPS with my new bow direct from Bear and it even came with a Bear Archery hat AND a sticker!!! :) I do so love stickers.

Why? Because it was $400 less than what it should have sold for. Most places are selling them for $850 bare. Some are now selling them for $850 loaded.

So jealous?? Don't worry ... be happy!!

Destroyer
08-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Good bit of luck anyway. :)

Simple Life
08-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Yes that is all I paid.

I offered him $450 shipped to my door and he agreed. I thought it was a scam at first, but NOPE!! 4 days later in pulls UPS with my new bow direct from Bear and it even came with a Bear Archery hat AND a sticker!!! :) I do so love stickers.

So jealous?? Don't worry ... be happy!!

Veryyyy jealous:(.What a good deal.

NY_Bowhunter
08-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Good bit of luck anyway. :)

VERY lucky!!! I was planning on spending that amount on a GOOD used bow a year or two old which was newer than others I had. I guess I was in the right place at the right time. :)

Veryyyy jealous:(.What a good deal.

Naaa .... don't be jealous. If you look, you will find some smoking deals on the Carnage and other higher priced bows from many manufacturers. Just takes alittle time and effort and a tad bit of luck now and then. :)

Destroyer
08-20-2011, 03:11 PM
If you look, you will find some smoking deals on the Carnage

Not as good as that deal!