PDA

View Full Version : It's a striiiii-ing, string string string

Stéphane
08-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Got the song that goes with it?

I bought my Bengal bow last December and I replaced the string in March because it was stretched. Got an aftermarket one and now I think it needs to be replaced again. This time, it's because it started to break near the slider. The slider doesn't work the best it could and I'm wondering if switching to the CCS system would help. The slider shows some wear and sometime is sticky.

The biggest issue is time. I can probably find one in the USA ( Live in Canada), but I'm afraid it won't get here on time. I'm going deer hunting on the 31st.

Any thoughts?

HawgEnvy
08-18-2011, 07:50 AM
with time being an issue,id say stick w the cable guard and get a different slide. The teflon slides from Alpine work great and so does the Saunders Hyperglide. then after season,switch to the CCS.

gravedigger
08-18-2011, 08:24 AM
if you can go ahead and order the ccs,and get a teflon slide incase the ccs dont show up on time,i like the ccs on my bengal

cyclepath
08-18-2011, 10:27 AM
If you order the ccs directly from martin you may or may not get it before hunting.
Here is a link to a martin outlet store on e-bay. They would have it to you in 3 or 4 days

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-CCS-Cable-Containment-System-New-/290542570639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a5afcc8f

Stéphane
08-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Well, the good news is my string is still good. I replaced the slide, but my pro shop thinks it was something rubbing against it in my case. phew!

j-bo
08-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Well, the good news is my string is still good. I replaced the slide, but my pro shop thinks it was something rubbing against it in my case. phew!

That is good news! Happy Hunting.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-18-2011, 01:35 PM
That is great news. Now go kill something!

Hutch:cool:

Destroyer
08-18-2011, 02:43 PM
I replaced the slide, but my pro shop thinks it was something rubbing against it in my case.

Good that its ok but rubbing against the case?

Saunders Hyperglide

Great slide, just started using one and I'm impressed with it. I like that is has bigger slots than most do.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-18-2011, 03:02 PM
One thing that helps is us in our strings not catching, is 20 strands instead of 24. This allows the cable to have more room and slide a lot easier.

Stéphane
08-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Well, I will definitely keep you in mind next time I need one. This one has probably 3000 shots. What's the lifespan of a string? My oem last 3 months only.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-18-2011, 04:18 PM
With trophy string material. 2-3 years. Some push it longer. But it is recommended to change once a year for target shooters, 2 to 3 years for hunters.

bfisher
08-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Cable slides sometimes do cause excess cable wear. In some cases changing the slide is not necessary. Some slides have sharp edges and all that needs done is using a small rattail file and puttting a radius on the edges. Same can be said for some Teflon slides. The trick is, once you know it do it before even installing a new slide or do it to the original before it causes undue damage to the cables in the first place.

As for a slide sticking. I assume you are saying it chatters when the bow is drawn or when it gets wet. Most times this can be cleared up simply by using alcohol and paper towel and cleaning the rod. If doing that you may as well remove the slide and clean the inside where it rides on the rod. No lube is needed as this just attracts grit and stuff that causes the chattering in the first place.

Replacement with a good Teflon slide and the above mentioned maintenance should clear up most problems.

Destroyer
08-18-2011, 06:14 PM
2 to 3 years for hunters

Yep but it depends on how much you shoot and the bow. I've had a lot less wear on longer ATA bows than these short bows too.

pizzadave
08-19-2011, 05:33 AM
Good to hear ur bow doesn't have any crwzy issues... ive got a 2010 cheetah, which came with the same factory slide as you and I swapped it out for a Saunders hyperglide. I love the hyperglide. It smoothed out my draw cycle, is quieter, and I like the larger slots, because with the ultra short cheetah, wider slots equal more room to work with which reduces string/cable wear. I think after deer season I am going to fit my bow with a torque tamer as well... The thought of a torque tamer combined with a hyperglide sounds like something the factory should creare, because it makes me smile.

pizzadave
08-19-2011, 05:36 AM
Excuse me.. "tilt tamer"