PDA

View Full Version : Martin Saber Mag

parkerd
08-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Hello all yeah i know what your thinking wasnt this the kid who was gonna buy a Martin threshold yeah it is but i changed my mind..
Anyways does anyone on here own a martin saber mag? if so what are your thoughts on it the academy here has one full set-up for 319.00$$
Is it a good bow?

Destroyer
08-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Better choice and it will do the job just fine. :)

What will it come with?

Speedykills
08-18-2011, 06:11 PM
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?18708-Saber-just-broke-in-half.

bfisher
08-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Hopefully you won't have any riser problems. Seriously, these mishaps are very rare. Personally, I think the Saber is a better choice between the two bows.

SJunior
08-18-2011, 06:42 PM
I have the Trophy Hunter aka saber. Very nice smooth shooting, accurate bow. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another. No major problems with it so far and I've shot it a lot. Replaced the upper idler wheel due to being bent when I got it. New string by Hutch N Son. Had the cable slide wear through and broke through yesterday.

bfisher
08-19-2011, 02:48 AM
I have the Trophy Hunter aka saber. Very nice smooth shooting, accurate bow. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another. No major problems with it so far and I've shot it a lot. Replaced the upper idler wheel due to being bent when I got it. New string by Hutch N Son. Had the cable slide wear through and broke through yesterday.

Assuming the cables aren't damaged you can replace the slide wit any similar slide, but I'd recomend a Teflon slide like a Simms or the Saunders Hyperglide. If the cables are damaged then I'd recommend replacing them too.

parkerd
08-19-2011, 03:14 AM
At acemdemy it comes with sights,rest,nock set,peep,d-loop.. I have already seen the saber that broke in half but that bow was made in 05' and i would think that martin has improved overall with there bow making abilities.. What does a new slider cost 20-30$?

Arrow Splitter
08-19-2011, 04:18 AM
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?18708-Saber-just-broke-in-half.Ahh, so you're trying to scare him out of buying one.LOL
parkerd, there is nothing wrong with a magnesium riser. I have one myself(Martin Jaguar). I agree with the others, the Saber is a better choice, and will serve you well. I'm assuming that it comes with the TRG, so if you want to use a cable rod and slide, you'll need to call Martin and have them send the rod and slide.

A.S

Ford
08-19-2011, 06:30 AM
I've heard better things about the saber then I have the threshold, I would go with the saber. I dont know if they are running the trg or not, if so get it off and use a slide. My exile is $230 its a few steps above both bows and would give you a 100 for accessories of your choosing.

parkerd
08-19-2011, 06:47 AM
Thanks Everyone!! Can yall tell me what the big thing is about what the riser is made of? How they grade the popular one seems to be aluminum and now carbon whats so bad with magneisium and other materials just weaker??

Thanks,Parker

wscywabbit
08-19-2011, 07:28 AM
There's nothing wrong with the magnesium riser. I have an '05 Saber, and it has had no problems at all that weren't operator error. The magnesium is not as strong as the aluminum riser, but that's why they don't use the magnesium on the newer model high performance bows. The one that broke in half is the only one I've seen like that; its gotta be a rare occurrence.

Arrow Splitter
08-19-2011, 08:47 AM
The one that broke in half is the only one I've seen like that; its gotta be a rare occurrence.It is.:cool:

A.S

Destroyer
08-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Yep, first time I've seen photo's of a broken riser like that. Still gives me the 'screaming willies'. :eek:

TaneumHunter
08-19-2011, 06:03 PM
As far as I know the 09 and later saber risers are ok. What happened to me is very rare but I HAVE seen pictures of other sabers with broken risers at the same spot. Do an image search for "broken saber riser". IMO it just isn't worth the risk. One inch higher and I wouldn't have a right eye.

peace
08-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Thank God for that one inch. Can't tell from the image but I was wondering if that riser was a molded riser or a machined riser. I would expect a machined riser to break with a fairly clean sheer line and a molded riser to break such as yours. I haven't done any metallurgy in years but just taking a stab at it.

Smarten Up and Martin Up

Destroyer
08-20-2011, 04:14 PM
My exile is $230 its a few steps above both bows and would give you a 100 for accessories of your choosing.

Good deal that.

whats so bad with magnesium and other materials just weaker??

Mostly how they are made, cast vs machined. Magnesium doesn't machine as easy, burns better though. ;)

TaneumHunter
08-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Thank God for that one inch. Can't tell from the image but I was wondering if that riser was a molded riser or a machined riser. I would expect a machined riser to break with a fairly clean sheer line and a molded riser to break such as yours. I haven't done any metallurgy in years but just taking a stab at it.

Smarten Up and Martin Up

Moulded/Cast

parkerd
08-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Ok which would you buy the martin saber mag full setup or the martin cheetah full set up pulled back the cheetah and it felt real nice...

gravedigger
08-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Ok which would you buy the martin saber mag full setup or the martin cheetah full set up pulled back the cheetah and it felt real nice...

i like the cheeta,but you have to go with what you like the most.

parkerd
08-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Ok i have a performance question when i shoot my recurve i shoot 75-100 arrows around 2-3 times a week.. Which is built better for my shooting also hunting the cheetah is light havent held the saber mag yet.. What im looking for is something along the these guidelines...
*Light weight i do alot of spot and stalk hunts*
*Easy to use dont want something thats gonna take 7 years to figure out*
* Speed not a big deal but i dont want it to be as slow as molasses*
both bows are in my budget range... The nice thing the guy at dicks told us is that you get 5 mods for free with the purchase but they may not make them anymore within the next couple of months.. What do you guys think? My dad is sold on that martin doesnt make the best low dollar bow but hey i think im going to give it a shot...

Destroyer
08-23-2011, 04:22 PM

Threshold 2011 4.2 lbs, Saber Mag is 3.5 lbs I think.

*Easy to use dont want something thats gonna take 7 years to figure out.

Both the same.

* Speed not a big deal but i dont want it to be as slow as molasses

I would put my $$ on the Saber to be faster than the Threshold.

My dad is sold on that martin doesnt make the best low dollar bow but hey i think im going to give it a shot...

There are other options including a used bow as well.

Arrow Splitter
08-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Ok which would you buy the martin saber mag full setup or the martin cheetah full set up pulled back the cheetah and it felt real nice...It's personal preference. I personally would go with the Cheetah. It has an aluminum riser, so if magnesium bothers you, the Cheetah is good choice.

Arrow Splitter
08-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Ok i have a performance question when i shoot my recurve i shoot 75-100 arrows around 2-3 times a week.. Which is built better for my shooting also hunting the cheetah is light havent held the saber mag yet.. What im looking for is something along the these guidelines...
*Easy to use dont want something thats gonna take 7 years to figure out*
* Speed not a big deal but i dont want it to be as slow as molasses*
both bows are in my budget range... The nice thing the guy at dicks told us is that you get 5 mods for free with the purchase but they may not make them anymore within the next couple of months.. What do you guys think? My dad is sold on that martin doesnt make the best low dollar bow but hey i think im going to give it a shot...As far as speed goes, the Cheetah and the Saber are the same. The Saber is lighter at 3.5lbs, but that isn't going to matter very much.

Martin has made the Saber for a long time(on and off). It's an excellent bow, and so is the Cheetah. Don't let the price fool you. Martin bows aren't perfect, but I'd get another. :cool::cool:

Destroyer
08-23-2011, 05:52 PM
My bad, talking about cheetah vs Saber now, sorry. :o

I personally would go with the Cheetah.

Agree.

gravedigger
08-23-2011, 06:59 PM
you want a light weiht ez bow for a good price...check out my signature..says it all,and at a low cost

parkerd
08-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Ok last question (I think) i know that some bows are made of one solid peice of aluminum or what ever the material is.. Is this the case with the cheetah or is it built out of 3-4 peices of the same material... BTW Thanks for everyones input!!

Destroyer
08-24-2011, 03:02 PM
the cheetah or is it built out of 3-4 peices of the same material

Same for all 3 pieces. :)

parkerd
08-24-2011, 04:16 PM
so its made of 3 different pieces all fitted together or just one solid piece of aluminum??

cjchasman
08-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Visit the current thread "concern or not" to see pics that may help.
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?9769-One-piece-riser!/page5

These are pics of the three pc. riser system...diff bow though same idea.

parkerd
08-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks I will be able to look at it next time to find out for sure..

Arrow Splitter
08-25-2011, 05:04 AM
so its made of 3 different pieces all fitted together or just one solid piece of aluminum??That is correct. All Martin bows except for the Saber are made out of aluminum 3 piece risers.