PDA

View Full Version : TRG&SOS ditched

bob cooly
08-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Called yesterday about string wear and sos rubbers spliting. Was told that Martin will not be shipping any more bows so equiped. My Onza must have been one of the first as the riser is not cut to accept the sts. Will put on a Sims STS that mounts on the front were your stabilizer goes. Martin is sending me a carbon rod as a replacement for the trg. I love this bow, smoothest most acurrate bow. Appears maybe they did not do extensive testing on these to see if they would hold up to use. The folks at Martin have been very pleasant to deal with and I will buy another Martin bow in the future. TRG/SOS still might pan out with some future engineering. I really like the idea of the string stop being near the center of the string. Was thinking a Slanted in carbon rod might be a better idea. They offered to cut a slot in my riser for the sts, but the season is upon us. I will replace the parts as planned after the first red carpet runs.
they are also replaceing my control cables.

MLN1963
08-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Can you post pictures of your riser without the slot?

bfisher
08-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Sounds like my prediciton may be coming true.

Destroyer
08-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Was told that Martin will not be shipping any more bows so equipped..

I like the sound of that. ;)

Will put on a Sims STS that mounts on the front were your stabilizer goes.

Good for any bow so its not a bad investment.

And welcome to the forum. :)

bob cooly
08-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Sorry can not post pictures as I am technologicaly handicapped. The riser just has the 2 quick connects for the stablizer and the other sits at a weird 45 degree angle on the inside. A clever fellow could build an adapter here, but Martin has apparently decided to cut a groove just below the handle to adapt their currant sts. If the sims works I will not let them cut another groove as it seems it could possibly weaken the riser at this spot. It will be interesting to see what comes out next year in the way of cable guides. I,ll keep you posted once the parts are installed as to how the bow shoots compared to how it shoots now. At least with Martin you can order parts for your own bow. Tried to get Diamond to send me a draw stop for an Iceman, no joy, go to the dealer. Didn't buy the bow from a dealer and nearest dealer of any kind is 100 miles away, go figure.

MLN1963
08-18-2011, 07:17 PM

Yours doesn't look like this? This is my Firecat 400.

Ford
08-19-2011, 06:37 AM
oh my, you mean my thoughts about the system and it not being a narrow few of us were correct? Joel promised me I was one of very few people that had the same issue, I was the exception not the rule. If thats the case why are you stopping production of the trg and sos system????????? Dont piss on my back and tell me its raining.......
I hate being lied to, hate it, hate it. Tell me the truth and fix the problem, dont lie to me and fix the problem. Honesty makes me a life long customer, lies makes me angry and reluctant to use thier product.

Martin needs to take a lesson from bear, make a good quality bow, thats quiet, moderate on speed, and dependable at an affordable price and we will buy them by the thousands.

Sorry about the soap box guys, but I feel much better now.

bob cooly
08-19-2011, 08:19 AM
No my riser is not cut as per my 1st post. approx. where your 400 is cut there is the second quick connect at an angle down from the riser. Perhaps it took awhile for Martin to get enough data on what is going on with the trg/sos before the reality of the problem became real, I don,t know. I still think the basic concept of the trg/sos is sound. My bow does shoot extremely well with it. I hope it shoots as well with the mods I am having to make. Again, Martin has been a standup company for along time and throwing rocks only breaks windows. I am sure they will fix it. Be really nice if they offered an incentive for a new bow next year. But then again I'll only become (Bow Poor).

MLN1963
08-19-2011, 10:22 AM
They are going to have to do way more than that to get me to buy another Martin bow! They have shot themselves in both feet and are reloading for more shooting as far as I am concerned. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. Some just won't admit it.

Destroyer
08-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Some just won't admit it.

I think most are waiting to see what happens with a discerning eye. Its only the fanboys that blindly support any product. ;)

MLN1963
08-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Fanboys, don't get me started.

Sharxfan
08-19-2011, 07:10 PM
I would not consider myself a fanboy but I think my Onza is the Shizzle. It is dead accurate and so far no issues with the string or SOS/TRG. Thats isnot to say that I am not keeping a very good eye on it at this time. I check it each and everytime I shoot, although I hope that next year they come out with a backwards compatible CCS for it.

bob cooly
08-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Martin sent new control cables and carbon rod and slide. Took off TRG/SOS and first thing the grove for the carbon rod was not cut straight, pressed bow to relieve stress if any and I had to get it started and tap it in with a plastic mallet (very gently) the holding screws finally seated it. Installed Limsaver STS and served string where it will contact the STS rubber. Checked all cables and cams. I had marked the cams before taking TRG off and with the new Carbon guide, it relaxed the bow about 1/8" equally on both cams. Took 4 shots at 15 yards and nothing changed as far as I can tell. Bow seems oh such more quiet. In all fairness I think some of the string slap noise from before may be because the SOS is right at your ear level. Total cost for me was about $57.00 and 1 hour of my time. If I would have taken bow to a pro shop it's a 200 mile round trip and 75-100 dollars as I did not buy the bow from either one.
Potential Cost
$ 57.00 Limsaver shipped from Cabelas
100.00 Pro Shop Fee
110.00 Gas and milage
36.00 My labor cost
$303.00 Total cost to repair my Martin Onza
I think they should send me an Exile for free for my daughter. Wait It will coast me $303.00 just to fix it.
I am rethinking my membership into the Martin Fanboy Club!
So If you wanted to buy a bow to last 5 years without major bowdown time, what would you buy? I'll sell the (fixed Onza) for $1,000.00 dollars. Is not that what the adds say?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Sonny and I have said this along with I believe be fisher. TRG SOS IS A SHORT LIVED THING. We have all said long ago why mess with the rod and glide. It works use it.

Hutch:cool:

bowgramp59
08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
i have an onza 3, shoots great. i'm concerned about the string wear and i've busted the rubber on the trg. will martin send a cable slide rod and slide without cost ? my bow is one of the early ones and doesn't have place for sos . i think i can fix that myself!

bob cooly
08-30-2011, 04:02 PM
READ THE ABOVE POST! Yes Martin should send you a new rod and guide, control cables, and the STS that won't fit your bow if it's not cut for it. Limbsaver STS from Cabelas wil run you about $57. You may(will) have to time your cams as the control cables they send you wil be a little long. Martin Archery is behind the 8 ball on this bigtime there must be thousands of these bows that need to be fixed. Hope some new archer dosn't get injured before Martin Archery decides to step up to the plate on this one. Everywhere I read people are having trouble with new compound bows. I think the technology has surpassed the reliability in many of these new products and much more thought should go into what is released onto the market. Good luck with your Onza.

boobowbender
09-01-2011, 05:37 PM
hmmm, a discount for a new bow next year! even better a really big discount for a new bow next year! my bow does shoot really well.......now. i did learn a lot about tuning since april though.:o and more importantly a special thanks to you guys here who have all the answers.
that makes me think- has anyone heard from mudpig?
brad

Destroyer
09-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Everywhere I read people are having trouble with new compound bows. I think the technology has surpassed the reliability in many of these new products

Technology has surpassed the reliability at a given cost perhaps.

bfisher
09-02-2011, 05:02 AM
hmmm, a discount for a new bow next year! even better a really big discount for a new bow next year! my bow does shoot really well.......now. i did learn a lot about tuning since april though.:o and more importantly a special thanks to you guys here who have all the answers.
that makes me think- has anyone heard from mudpig?
brad

Kind words, my man, but sometimes we don't have all the answers. Just educated guesses based on many years of experience and tinkering. Some work and some don't. That's why we never quit playing.