PDA

View Full Version : Got my free Zeon Fusion vanes today.

NeilMac
08-22-2011, 05:05 AM
Like most other folk, I filled out the on-line free sample box and then forgot all about it. However, it appears Norway Ind. didn't, and a little packet arrived this morning with $1.18 postage on it and nine vanes inside.

I am fletching them onto some spare Lightspeed 340's and we'll see how they go.

I'm more interested in flight than visibility, but I can think of more than a few shots that I took at a heavily wooded 3D comp yesterday, where it would have been a huge advantage to have been able to clearly see where my arrow had landed (or even the target on a couple of shots!).

HawgEnvy
08-22-2011, 08:02 AM
ive wondered about these. can we get a full review n some pics?

Sharxfan
08-22-2011, 09:19 AM
One of the local forums I am on the guys rave about the new vanes. I signed up for a sample pack as well to try out on some older arrows.

wscywabbit
08-22-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm interested as well; WA state doesn't allow lumenok or any other type of battery lighted accessories on either the bow or the arrows. I had thought of trying these as an alternative. Any insight you gain from your trial would be appreciated!

NeilMac
08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
ive wondered about these. can we get a full review n some pics?

As a competition only, finger shooter I may be a little limited in the scope I can cover in a review, but I'll take some pics and let you know how I get on.

I have to say they are very easy to fletch. Norway recommend Cyno, but I'm not a fan, so mine are going on with Fletch-Tite. I have one arrow fletched up, and it looks smart. I have just topped and tailed it, so as soon as the glue dries I'll take some pictures.

NeilMac
08-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Just weighed the vanes; orange and red (pink) weigh 6 grains, green weigh 6.5 grain each.

wscywabbit
08-22-2011, 02:07 PM
hmmm, that's a little disappointing, why would there be a difference in weights? IDK if it would make much of a difference, why take a chance?

Destroyer
08-22-2011, 03:03 PM
They have 'ribs' like AAE 2010 Max Hunters? No way I would use them.

NeilMac
08-23-2011, 08:34 AM
D, we all have ribs, without them we would have a bit of an issue breathing (unless we grew gills):rolleyes:

Anyway, quick first impression with only two fletched arrows;

So far, they are very accurate, landing dead on the spot as often as I can place them there. You CAN see the arrow rotate, they may do it anyway, but with the Zeon's you can see it. They do look big though, again probably because you can see them, but I don't think they are quite as deep as Blazers, so maybe an optical illusion.

Can you see them in the target? Yes, you most certainly can. My 35 yard target is in a little wooded area, it's not that dark (the camera makes it look lighter than it is), but if you look at the shots with two arrows in the target, then you'll see the difference. The pictures of the targets were all taken with a long lens, about 30 yards from the burlap target face.

Obviously this is a rushed test, but it has got to be worth filling out the form to get the free samples, if you are in the market for this type of vane.

Oh and don't look too closely at the glue..it was late and Fletch-Tite is REALLY runny, especially when your tired and it's late and your eyes are not so good...and I'm out of excuses.

justin
08-23-2011, 02:35 PM
i just fleched 6 arrows in the yellow neons and the other 6 in the standard fusion, flo yellow. they 6.8 and 6.9 grains respectivly. i did like the bases on the standard vanes better. and i did shoot a 3d with the neon vanes..... and i wasnt really inpressed. the dark lanes i shot through whould make the aarow fade out like any other. my normal vane is the standard fusion vane and they fly just like the neons. the neons help with visibility a bit, but its not really a huge huge deal. the best part about the neon vanes is i can get them locally right now, so if i run out im set up. i cant get the stardard fusion vanes locally. they do really glow in the sun though, when stuck in a 3d target, and make a great aiming point for your shooting group. and they might have just a little more memory than the standard fusion. im not positive on that yet

Destroyer
08-23-2011, 03:25 PM
D, we all have ribs, without them we would have a bit of an issue breathing

Lol! Pretty uncomfortable without them. :D

madlaz
08-28-2011, 03:19 AM
I tried some the problem i had with them they group to good and are easily damaged that is if you hit the vanes they tear to easy so back to feathers.

madlaz
08-28-2011, 03:27 AM
OOps forgot to mention if the vane is to tall cut it down cut top rib off shoots good that way did that after i damaged the vane so i cut the other 2 vanes to match.

Destroyer
08-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Have you tried paper tuning them at distances like 20, 30, 40?

NeilMac
08-28-2011, 11:14 PM
No.

I haven't paper tuned a bow in the last 15 years :D

The vanes work well and I'm tempted to buy some more at some point. I'm hoping to try them at 50 and 60 yards later.

Scott
08-30-2011, 11:44 AM
I just bought some of the norway blazer style vanes. They didn't glue up worth a crap, their 3" vanes do. They didn't tune worth a crap, the 3" do. Some of them came out of the package bent. I fletched several arrows and none of them were worth a darn. 340 eastons and shooting them on the Alien.

Destroyer
08-30-2011, 02:49 PM
I haven't paper tuned a bow in the last 15 years :D

:cool:

Do you bare shaft tune?

NeilMac
08-30-2011, 08:57 PM
No, I set up the bow by eye, with the nock 12mm above centre and then walkback tune.

If things are not right, then I use vertical and horizontal string on the target to fine tune nock and arrow rest.

I set up my pins by shooting at my chosen distances of 20,30,40,50 and 60 yards.

It may be a bit simplistic, but it works for me.

Ehunter
09-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Just got my free sample ofthe Zeon vanes as well. Not sure what's going on, but they don't want to stick at all. Never had any problems with any other vane before, including the Fusions, but these aren't working worth a damn. Using Superglue, and not happy with the results so far. I do kinda like the way they look though, and can see a possible benefit to them.

NeilMac
09-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Norway recommend cyno, but I used fletch-tite, as I'm old fashioned. I also gave the shafts a good clean with cellulose thinners, but did not touch the vanes.

One of the arrows has recently unfletched itself, but it did pass straight through a thick bush, glance off one tree and land in another, so I think that was a bit of an extreme test.

Destroyer
09-02-2011, 03:31 PM
but did not touch the vanes.

Always clean my vanes, except for AAE's when using their glue.

NeilMac
09-02-2011, 09:26 PM
I normally clean vanes just before fletching too, but I was a bit unsure about the effects the thinners would have on the plastic, so in this instance I just fletched them as they were.

Ehunter
09-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Norway says it's not neccessary to clean their Fusion vanes, so I figured the same was true for the Zeon. I got a few shots with mine yesterday, and while they do steer the arrow very well, and give good groups, the "visibility" of them was far less than expected. I really can't see much reason to use them over any other vane as far as how easy they are to track. I'll stick with my regular Fusions and Blazers.

Money Man
09-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Norway says it's not neccessary to clean their Fusion vanes, so I figured the same was true for the Zeon. I got a few shots with mine yesterday, and while they do steer the arrow very well, and give good groups, the "visibility" of them was far less than expected. I really can't see much reason to use them over any other vane as far as how easy they are to track. I'll stick with my regular Fusions and Blazers.

I just got mine in the mail today and it happens I just bought a bohning jig. So I tried these Zeons, some blazers, and plastifletch. For my first time I guess it went ok. The Zeons were tough to see for me. I don't think they were as bright as they were hyped up to be. I used fletch tite glue and it was nice to be able to see the bead of glue on the vane as easch vane was applied to the shaft. Even though, one of the vanes came loose at the tail (could have been my fault) I could see the spot in the vane where the glue was not holding it. I put a dab of glue on it and I guess tomorrow we'll see how it goes.

dzsmith
10-01-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm interested as well; WA state doesn't allow lumenok or any other type of battery lighted accessories on either the bow or the arrows. I had thought of trying these as an alternative. Any insight you gain from your trial would be appreciated!

that sux. im moving to lake coeur de lene idaho next may. which is near spokane. i hope idaho allows illumintated nocks. that sounds like some hippi crap to me that they wont allow them