PDA

View Full Version : 5 days and counting

gravedigger
08-22-2011, 09:19 AM
i have 5 days till i leave for my 10 day hunting trip,and 6 till opening day.im counting every second.work is going by sooooo slow.this year im ready to rock.got all my food(99% is caned),all my gear,40 gallons of watter,solar shower,porta john,20x12 tent,fire pit,12 gage for the tent, oh and my favorit,im bringing my La-Z-Boy recliner for my bed.

my brother in-law is letting me borrow his ranger and 12 foot trailer.20 gallons of extra gas,about 16 mini propaine tanks and other things.darn im ready to rock.IS IT FRIDAY YET.im leaving a 4 am friday morning.got my digi camcorder ready.just cant wait.wish i could sleep throgh the next 5 days,wake up and go,go,go

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Well Gd I hope you get something yeah something, other then sick, injured, lost, or eaten. :rolleyes:
You'll do well buddy hit them hard.

Hutch:cool:

gravedigger
08-22-2011, 11:59 AM
thanks bill,i do have emergency stuff in my pack.enough to keep me fed for 5 days and live for 2 weeks in the woods if i were to get turned around.but i will allways have that elk im going to shoot to munch on.lol

Destroyer
08-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Just remember we want photo's of any critter you shoot. ;)

gravedigger
08-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Just remember we want photo's of any critter you shoot. ;)

i will do one better,imbringing video,but i can tae still images with my camcordr to

Double S
08-22-2011, 08:25 PM
I wish you the best on your Hunting trip. Stay safe and enjoy the hunt. killing a critter is just the bonus.

gravedigger
08-23-2011, 07:16 AM
I wish you the best on your Hunting trip. Stay safe and enjoy the hunt. killing a critter is just the bonus.

thank you...67 hours and counting till i leave,93 hours till first light opening day.tick tock

Destroyer
08-23-2011, 03:29 PM
i will do one better,im bringing video,but i can take still images with my camcorder to

:cool:

Good luck! :)

gravedigger
08-24-2011, 07:42 AM
43 hours,25 min and counting till im gone,67 hours till first light opening day

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-24-2011, 08:36 AM
I wish I knew how to count!:rolleyes: But I am sure if I were going hunting like that I would be learning fast.

gravedigger
08-24-2011, 09:27 AM
I wish I knew how to count!:rolleyes: But I am sure if I were going hunting like that I would be learning fast.

me too,ok i have it all on a count back timer,im just watching the seconds fly by me.lol

Destroyer
08-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Sleeping ok? ;)

Simple Life
08-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Good luck GD,Have a safe and successful hunt.:D

cjchasman
08-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Be safe and enjoy. Good Luck to you GD...don't forget the pics.

gravedigger
08-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Sleeping ok? ;)

with the help of some sleeping medication i am.lol

gravedigger
08-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Good luck GD,Have a safe and successful hunt.:D

Be safe and enjoy. Good Luck to you GD...don't forget the pics.

thanks fellas,i hope it trns out good.with the hot weather im not to sur how the herds will be moveing,bt i got ten days to get 2 out

Destroyer
08-24-2011, 06:45 PM
with the help of some sleeping medication i am

Lol! That would do it. Never thought of it as a hunting aid though. ;)

peace
08-25-2011, 02:40 AM
May you enjoy the grandeur and beauty of His wonderful creation, fulfill your role and purpose in the circle of life and enjoy every second in the spirit of the wild. Be Blessed.

Double S
08-25-2011, 08:46 AM
thanks fellas,i hope it trns out good.with the hot weather im not to sur how the herds will be moveing,bt i got ten days to get 2 out
I wish you the best bud!. It's gonna be over 90 degree's when i go out hunting. Glass the shaded area's really good; look for a water sources, wallow. I don't know if elk do the same thing but I've seen mule deer lined up against a dirt,sand bank sucking on the dirt to get the moisture out. Make sure you keep hydrated.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Hey GD, don't forget your Depends, that way you won't have to use a potty.

gravedigger
08-25-2011, 03:31 PM
I wish you the best bud!. It's gonna be over 90 degree's when i go out hunting. Glass the shaded area's really good; look for a water sources, wallow. I don't know if elk do the same thing but I've seen mule deer lined up against a dirt,sand bank sucking on the dirt to get the moisture out. Make sure you keep hydrated.

wallows and swamps and more watter then they know what to do with ware im going,hydrated i will stay,i have 30 gallons of drinking watter plus 3 cases of watter,and more watter...lo.land thanks

Hey GD, don't forget your Depends, that way you won't have to use a potty.

i knew i forgot something.lol

gravedigger
08-25-2011, 07:09 PM
7 hours till im out,yall have a good one,be safe,and i will talk to ya wgen i get back...happy hunting

cjchasman
08-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Let's hope GD has a truckload of meat by now! :cool:

elkslayer4x5
09-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Remember, GD, ODF says that they are up high. :D

gravedigger
09-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Remember, GD, ODF says that they are up high. :D

im back(fir now) and you are right 4x5 they are up high and i was knee deep in them. i took afew shots and long story short i hate logging durein archey season

Sharxfan
09-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Sucks that they were logging while you were hunting. Any luck? You mention slinging arrows I just hope it wasn't at the loggers.

Destroyer
09-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Story please.

elkslayer4x5
09-02-2011, 06:57 AM
The logging in your hunt area will make your hunt easier. Loggers are constantly reporting seeing large numbers of deer and elk, because they ( the deer and elk ) are after the moss that they can't reach on a standing tree. When the trees are fallen and stacked, the cervids move in and graze. Most logging operations shut down about 4:00 pm, from then till dark are your 'golden' hours. You just have to work around the work. With them hanging around a logging site, you can drive right up on 'em in a deisel rig, as they are used to that sound. Take down a big bull! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Usal/Scar2.jpg

gravedigger
09-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Story please.
its on its way,i have alot of storytelling to do

The logging in your hunt area will make your hunt easier. Loggers are constantly reporting seeing large numbers of deer and elk, because they ( the deer and elk ) are after the moss that they can't reach on a standing tree. When the trees are fallen and stacked, the cervids move in and graze. Most logging operations shut down about 4:00 pm, from then till dark are your 'golden' hours. You just have to work around the work. With them hanging around a logging site, you can drive right up on 'em in a deisel rig, as they are used to that sound. Take down a big bull! :D

i wish it was the case for my hunt,but the elk were moveing away from all the logging.they moved about 8miles away i think.and to where i could not drive to.gates were locked and in some area they were pen but notto hunters.just loggers.

if i were to get cought driveing behind some of the open gates the staters would have taking my rig and my hunting stuff and then make me walk out.this year wasjust messed up once all the hunters seen the gates open.its a long story,i will spend he next couple days typeing it out.i am going to do some road huntin close to home and at least grab a dear.an maybe wait till the last week to get my elk.im not sure.

Destroyer
09-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Excellent. :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-03-2011, 04:05 AM
Welcome back GD!!!

elkslayer4x5
09-03-2011, 06:38 AM

i wish it was the case for my hunt,but the elk were moveing away from all the logging.they moved about 8miles away i think.and to where i could not drive to.gates were locked and in some area they were pen but notto hunters.just loggers.

if i were to get cought driveing behind some of the open gates the staters would have taking my rig and my hunting stuff and then make me walk out.this year wasjust messed up once all the hunters seen the gates open.its a long story,i will spend he next couple days typeing it out.i am going to do some road huntin close to home and at least grab a dear.an maybe wait till the last week to get my elk.im not sure.

Know why I ride a mountain bike now? By now, you know that 8 miles is nothing to an elk, just a stroll. Bye the way, did you notice all of the scars on the elk I showed? Any guesses as to who put 'em there? and a little test for you, what species of elk is Ole Scar? :D

cjchasman
09-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Survey says..." a transplanted Tule" ???????? Whiter butt, smaller scale body and rack??????????

Double S
09-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Welcome back Brotha!.

elkslayer4x5
09-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Survey says..." a transplanted Tule" ???????? Whiter butt, smaller scale body and rack??????????

He's a Roosevelt, note the crown at the end of his main beams. The pic is misleading, The bull is actually a youngster, but huge, at least 200 lbs heavier than the 4 others he was with. I figure that he got those scar while excapping either a bear or a mountain lion, and am leaning to the lions side as Scar has them all over, on both sides. Too bad he lives in a state park.
" A transplanted Tule" That is actually kinda funny, pic was taken in Mendocino County,California, at Usal Beach, Mendocino county also has Tule elk, but they are over on the east side of the county, about 80 miles away from Usal. California also has Rocky Mountain elk, the only state to have 3 species of elk. I appoligize for the pic quality of these next pics, it was my first day with a new camera, but here is a Tule bull, also a youngster.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Pillsbury%20elk/DSCN0099.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Pillsbury%20elk/DSCN0098.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Pillsbury%20elk/DSCN0097.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Pillsbury%20elk/DSCN0096.jpg

gravedigger
09-05-2011, 08:59 AM
thanks for the welcom back every one.DOUBLE S,4X5 i hope your hunts are going better then mine.hay 4X5 that elk was throwing me for a loop.i looks like the bull i shot at last year,but it looks like a tule too.a side note i lived in tule lake for about 6 month and that has nothing to do with anything lololol.well my story will be coming twords the end of the mont..my hunt is not over till the 25th and im still getting on the elkbut not getting the shots i want to take.

but yesterday morning about 30 min befor shooting time i had a huge bull run out infront of me when i was making a bit of a stram on a gravel road.chaced him all day with no luck on a shot.as for a deer i have till the end of the year and i migh wait till there in rut.not sure yet.

Double S
09-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Welcome back GD. My Muley hunt was a success. I might be having a crack at a Bull or cow elk Sept 7th to the 15th. A friend took me on a Scouting trip down a area of my county I've never been too. Apparently Some elk have been bedding on some high grass along a certain patch of railroad tracks. There's a underground water stream following the draws of the wheat fields. The Farmer's pushed the bulls while harvesting. They have been eating his hay bales before he has a chance to load them up. I thought they were pulling my chain...I was waiting for Ashton kutcher to pop out and Punk me. I've never killed a Elk but i love Elk meat. I have neighbors that hunt the Blue's area and bring me some Elk meat over. Looks like you have a longer season and you have the opportunity for another go at them. I wish you the best.