PDA

View Full Version : inserts pulling out?

boobowbender
08-23-2011, 08:22 PM
so i bought some cool flex from bohning to install my own nocks after i squared both ends with my new f.a.s.t. from lumenok, and now five out of six inserts have pulled out in my target. (two are still in there:mad:) What did i do wrong? not enough glue? how do i ruff up the inside of the shaft to hold better? should i get better inserts than the one's that came with the six pack. would have switched to harvest time but cx sent me a free six pack of blue streaks for some reason(warranty-remember the picture of the hanging golf balls, i just asked why it happened) and used the cheap looking inserts that came with the arrows.

Destroyer
08-23-2011, 08:35 PM
What did i do wrong? not enough glue? how do i ruff up the inside of the shaft to hold better? should i get better inserts than the one's that came with the six pack.

Maybe you did nothing wrong, that glue melts with hot water so it can't be very strong. You can rough up the inside with steel wool or whatever and make sure everything is clean, might help.

How hot is it there?

boobowbender
08-23-2011, 09:20 PM
i suppose. its not too warm in my basement-prolly 70 ish, but you make a good point. would a screw work good too rough things up?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-24-2011, 01:01 AM
I use a round chainsaw file and rough up the surface on the inside walls. This will allow the glue, something to hold to.

Hutch:cool:

Ehunter
08-24-2011, 01:07 AM
I gave up on any hotmelt glues a year ago for inserts. Was using them with my Victory VAP's and couldn't keep an insert in for more than one or two shots. Now I use a superglue. Gotta put them together quick to get the BH lined up, but they don't come out. They are also heat reversible too. It just takes a bit more heat than a hot melt glue.

EnglishKev
08-24-2011, 03:26 AM
I use 24hr epoxy for my inserts.
For roughing the inside of the shaft, a bronze bore cleaning brush works pretty good.

Kev

bfisher
08-24-2011, 04:36 AM
I use 24hr epoxy for my inserts.
For roughing the inside of the shaft, a bronze bore cleaning brush works pretty good.

Kev

Beat me to it. Both suggestions are good, but after using the bore cleaning brushdon't forget to use a QTip and 91% alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) to clean the inside of the shaft. Most super glues dry too quickly and get brittle so don't hold their bond. Same for 5 minute Epoxy. Hot melt is out for use on carbon.

Here's why I like 24 hr epoxy. Number one, it holds. Number two, I can install a broadhead ferrule to the insert, apply glue, install the insert, and while it's setting I can spin-check the alignment and make fine adjustments. Can also align the point to the fletching if desired. Then set it aside and move to the next one. Very very seldom do I have a point pull out.

Sharxfan
08-24-2011, 04:37 AM
I just used sandpaper wrapped around a nail. If you rough it up don't forget to wipe it down with Isopropyl alcohol.

MLN1963
08-24-2011, 07:44 AM
The FAST tool makes some pretty fine powder if you didn't get all that out it would affect the holding power of the glue.

Destroyer
08-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Now I use a superglue.

Same here works and is a bit easier to remove an insert than epoxy, but using a good epoxy they won't come out.

CarlosII
08-25-2011, 05:07 PM
i use cool blue and have had good luck EXCEPT in some of the bag targets or some indoor target face material. my easton inserts are slightly, just slighly, larger than the shaft. that seems to catch on the face of the targets.

i used it on some victorys using their points (no inserts) and didn't have a problem. i do have problems if i don't do a good job of cleaning the dust out of the shaft using soapy water followed (after they dry) by 91% alky. cleaning the inside of the shaft is critical imho.

CarlosII
08-26-2011, 04:24 PM
About like the rest have said, but not as I would.
1 - inside the shaft must be clean after cutting - I have never had to rough up the inside. I use denatured alcohol and a Q-tips or others call cotton swaps.
2 - insert fit - Victory was terrible at one time. Too loose and impact can break the glue bond. I like a snug fit.
3 - Glue - I mainly use Bohning Quantum XT - arrow ready to shoot within seconds, but wait for a minute or two. Another I use is Eastons Quick HIT insert glue. HIT needs 15 to 20 minutes to cure. Most let it cure overnight, but I've shot arrows within 20 minutes and had no problems.

Work I do on arrows is guaranteed, so I get it right. I think I had maybe 6 arrows come back in the last 3 years - for vanes, not inserts.

better tighten up the quality control on them vanes, Sonny. can't put up with that kind of return rate.

bfisher
08-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Will do. I'll even tell the manager to watch my return rate.

Ellsworth Archery, Inc.
Manager - Sonny Thomas
Bow Mech - Sonny Thomas
Arrows - Sonny Thomas
Over archery events - Sonny Thomas
Floor sweeper - Sonny Thomas
Go-for man - Sonny Thomas

Smart Azz!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO.

Destroyer
08-27-2011, 02:17 AM
Hope you get paid extra $$ for doing all those jobs Sonny! ;)

bfisher
08-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Hope you get paid extra $$ for doing all those jobs Sonny! ;)

Yes, but think about it. He's holding down all those jobs while poor sole is standing in the unemployment line. Shame on you Sonny. LOL.

Arrow Splitter
08-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Will do. I'll even tell the manager to watch my return rate.

Ellsworth Archery, Inc.
Manager - Sonny Thomas
Bow Mech - Sonny Thomas
Arrows - Sonny Thomas
Over archery events - Sonny Thomas
Floor sweeper - Sonny Thomas
Go-for man - Sonny ThomasLOL Good one Sonny.:p:D

Destroyer
08-27-2011, 09:52 PM
all those below Manager only work for shooting privileges

That is not fair, I'm thinking STRIKE! :p