PDA

View Full Version : New Bow - New Archer - Adjusting Draw Length

McNubblet
08-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Heyas,

I've just taken delivery of my first bow (yay!) and it was set up by the shop for me at a 29" draw length. It is a 2011 Martin Exile.

After putting about 70 arrows through it today, the draw feels a little long. I tried it at 28" and it feels to short.

In the manual (which is rather brief) it says that "The draw length can also be adjusted in 1/2" incremenets using the pegs on the back of the cam". Does the draw length get shorter with the 1/2" adjustment or longer?

Is the back the flat wide side opposite the writing (my assumption)? Or is it the thin part of the cam facing backwards when holding the bow?

I couldn't spot any pegs on the back that looked like they could be moved.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Nub.

Dodgy iPhone photo, sorry.

bfisher
08-24-2011, 03:13 AM
You've got a good picture there, but take one of the other side. The string attaches to a peg on the other side. There should be two of them. Just a guess right now, but it looks like it's attached to the shorter peg. I'll wait and see.

Congrats on your new bow and welcome to the Tech Forum. We'll get you straightened out.

McNubblet
08-24-2011, 03:39 AM
Thanks, i'm glad to be here and happy that i've finally got a reason to be :)

Here's the other side:

bfisher
08-24-2011, 03:56 AM
OK, you're quick so you must be on-line right now. Can't see from the pic, but is there another peg hiding behind the limb? If so what you can do is move the string to that peg (1/2" longer) and put the 28" module back on the cam. This will change the cam orientation so you'll have to make other adjustments if the bow is now set up, most notably the nocking point, kisser, and peep. Measure their location with reference to some point on the bow. I usually measure from the top axle.

Sorry I can't be more definite about the cam, but I don't shoot single cams any more.

HawgEnvy
08-24-2011, 04:34 AM
try 28.5" DL. That would be F5 module w string set on #2 peg. You should be set then.

bfisher
08-24-2011, 04:40 AM
try 28.5" DL. That would be F5 module w string set on #2 peg. You should be set then.

Man, I'm glad to see some help, Hawg. fter I made my last post I got out the manual and I think there is only one string peg on the AccuTrac cam. If so I'm not out of ideas, but straining my brain a bit. I need another cup of coffee.

Arrow Splitter
08-24-2011, 04:50 AM
Man, I'm glad to see some help, Hawg. fter I made my last post I got out the manual and I think there is only one string peg on the AccuTrac cam. If so I'm not out of ideas, but straining my brain a bit. I need another cup of coffee.You are correct.

bfisher
08-24-2011, 05:04 AM
You are correct.

bout what? More coffee or being brain dead? You're starting the day off badly AS. LOL.

Arrow Splitter
08-24-2011, 05:33 AM
bout what? More coffee or being brain dead? You're starting the day off badly AS. LOL.Both. LOL:p
Actually I was referencing the cam only having one peg.:D

McNubblet
08-24-2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the help everyone, thought it looks like i'm out of luck :(

Can't see a 2nd peg anywhere to move the string to sadly.

Would it be a bad idea to put the 28" module on and lengthen the strap on my release aid substantially to compensate or would that mess with my anchor too much?

Arrow Splitter
08-24-2011, 05:37 AM
You could move your draw stop, although by doing this you will have less let-off.

gravedigger
08-24-2011, 06:56 AM
i run with a 28.5 dl,i use the number 4 mod but i did have to adjust my draw stop to me.i do have a bit less let off but i can still hold at full draw for days

Jake-the-snake
08-24-2011, 12:50 PM
what most fail to realize, that a little a bend in the arm is OK. Shoot with the shorter draw length, bend your bow arm a bit.
have fun shooting! I know if I had extra cash at the time, there would be an exile sitting in my stable...thank god i dont carry much cash anymore.

Destroyer
08-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Would it be a bad idea to put the 28" module on and lengthen the strap on my release aid substantially to compensate or would that mess with my anchor too much?

Would be better to make a longer d-loop than altering the release aid.

i run with a 28.5 dl,i use the number 4 mod but i did have to adjust my draw stop to me.i do have a bit less let off but i can still hold at full draw for days

You could go to a number 3 mod and lengthen using the draw stop too.

what most fail to realize, that a little a bend in the arm is OK.

Yep, some people shoot fine that way.

MartinMan
08-24-2011, 08:17 PM
What if he just simply twisted up the string some? Start out with a 29"dl and try to twist it to shorten up his draw. My dad did that for me on a bow that was a half inch longer than my draw. I dont know what the ratio is on twists to inches. Would that work, or would that be to many twists?

Brian

bfisher
08-25-2011, 03:57 AM
What if he just simply twisted up the string some? Start out with a 29"dl and try to twist it to shorten up his draw. My dad did that for me on a bow that was a half inch longer than my draw. I dont know what the ratio is on twists to inches. Would that work, or would that be to many twists?

Brian

You could reach some sort of compromise with this idea. Add some twists to the string, maybe 10. Then take some twists out of the cable, maybe 5. This should reduce the draw a little. Then shorten up a little using the draw stop. The only real downside to this twisting is that the draw weight will drop several pounds, but as I wlways say, poundage is just a number. Speed, power, kinetic energy can be compromised some but never draw length.

Destroyer
08-25-2011, 03:10 PM
never draw length.

That's correct, its a vital thing to get right. So many archers will mess it up to gain a little speed.

Olefashn
12-27-2011, 04:30 AM
I just bought this Bow for my son. Martin carries modules that need to be swapped out to adjust the draw length. Martin Part #3056 This is for single Cam. Its that black piece held on with 2 screws. You'll need a rack to swap them out. Good Luck

elkslayer4x5
12-27-2011, 05:02 AM
I just bought this Bow for my son. Martin carries modules that need to be swapped out to adjust the draw length. Martin Part #3056 This is for single Cam. Its that black piece held on with 2 screws. You'll need a rack to swap them out. Good Luck

Do you mean a bow press? If so, not needed. One screw is easy to get to, but the other is usually behind the limb fork. To get an allen wrench to that screw, put a zip tie around the string and cable, pull tight enough to rotate the screw into a position where you can reach it.