PDA

View Full Version : Martin Unicam ?????

bullchaser
07-19-2007, 09:52 AM
I am Extremely confused. My Cousin Brought me a like 96-96 jag with The Unicam on it and it was shooting way high ever since the other shop he took it to put new strings on it well I put my bow square on it and the string is at a strong angle upward. My question is: is the string suppose to angle like that or is something screwed up, as far as string lengths or if something is messed up with the cam, if it is supposed to be like that how do I go about setting it up do I raise the nock point, I was always taught that your nock should only be like 1/8 inch high, If I do that I would have to lower the peep almost to the point where the arrow is right at the shooters lip. I have never seen a bow that is this far off. Any help is much appreciated.

Myk
07-26-2007, 01:44 AM
Yes that string angle is how it is supposed to be.
Square the arrow to the rest, not the string. It is like that with many single cam bows.

If all that was changed was the string your peep or nock point is probably not in the same place.

A good way to set up a bow that was tuned when you change the string is to adjust the nock point to make your arrows impact with your sights. If you didn't move the rest or the sight and you have it at the same weight that will put it back how it was.
You should take a measurement for your peep location compared to the nock point before changing the string.

I got away with my Unicam shooting 90 for years. Then I got the idea to paper tune and it took a very high nock to get a good tear.

bfisher
07-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Can you post a picture? I'm really curious. I've never see a Martin Uni-cam and wonder how it's different from cams of today. Not sure I understand the question---or Myk's answer.

Barry

Myk
08-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Can you post a picture? I'm really curious. I've never see a Martin Uni-cam and wonder how it's different from cams of today. Not sure I understand the question---or Myk's answer.

Barry
Notice how when the overdraw shelf is level and the axles are plumb the string tips back at the top. At rest the string is almost against the axle on the cam.
Many single cams are slightly like that now but not to the degree they were then. I think the manuals for that cam's era even said to not square to the string.

If you square the arrow to the string you will be very nock low. Square it to the arrow shelf or "Berger slot".

bfisher
08-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks. I see exactly what you are saying. And I do remember seeing some bows like this. Just never had much occasion to dwell into the details of it

I'm not sure I understandwhere the nocking point would normally be, though. I guess I'd end up starting about square and tune the bow. Where the nocking point falls would be where it falls and so be it.