PDA

View Full Version : What are lenses and how do they work?

MartinMan
08-24-2011, 08:55 PM
I have seen a lot of people talk about lenses for their sites. I have never used them and wonder how they work? Can they be used for hunting or are they just for target shooters? Thanks to anyone that can provide any info that may be helpful!

Brian

bfisher
08-25-2011, 03:52 AM
Just to add to what Sonny said, I use lenses in both my 3D outfits. They do help me see better on longer shots, but really aren't necessary for shorter ones. For hunting I don't think they are very practical. For one thing most hunting distances don't require pinpoint accuracy and are not long enough for derive much benefit from a lens. Rain drops, snow, and even dust on the lens can render them just about useless. Depending on sun angles they can have glare.

So for target or 3D they work fine. For hunting? Probably not a good idea.

elkslayer4x5
08-25-2011, 06:52 AM
I tried a 2X lens on my HHA OL 5519 for hunting one season. And while it did work ok, it did give me a lot of grief, what with rain, and or dust. Had to keep it covered, or gamble that I could'nt see thru it at crunch time. PIA! With alll of that said, I love it for 3D and Field, but still keep a cover on it.