PDA

View Full Version : Who takes warm up shots before going out to hunt?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Who takes warm up shots before going out to hunt? Usually my kids and I take warm up shots before we leave to go out on a hunt. For us it is as simple as shooting in the basement at 20yards before we walk into the back yard. I have found it does 2 purposes gets me ready to hunt and shows me where the bow is at. So it can be fixed quickly.
How about you guys?

Hutch:cool:

RLW
08-26-2011, 01:56 PM
I'll shoot a few rounds when I get to camp the night before, but typically when heading first thing in the morning from camp or out from truck if not camping, I'll just draw back a few times to loosen up a bit and make sure a coat or something isn't catching.

cjchasman
08-26-2011, 02:14 PM
I'll shoot a few rounds when I get to camp the night before, but typically when heading first thing in the morning from camp or out from truck if not camping, I'll just draw back a few times to loosen up a bit and make sure a coat or something isn't catching.

x2 plus any afternoon or evening hunt I'll sling a couple at an old block target we leave out at camp b4 getting in the woods. Some A.M. hunts I shoot a couple off the elevated porch; camp is built on posts on a side of a hill. Shot is about an eight foot decline at about 15 yds.

Destroyer
08-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Nope, cold.

Simple Life
08-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Before the evening hunt,I like to take a couple shots.

droppixel
08-30-2011, 04:42 AM
I haven't before, but this season I think I plan to. I think this will help make sure everything is in order, though I have no worries that it wouldn't be. Will also help to loosen up when it gets cold. I think a few shots, is reasonable.

Ehunter
08-30-2011, 03:42 PM
I take a few before afternoon or evening hunts. Then, once in my stand, I draw the bow back at least once an hour to make sure I stay loosened up as well. It really helps if hunting in colder weather.

elkslayer4x5
09-01-2011, 07:14 AM
Part of all of our camps is a range bag, always set up 30 to 60 yds out from camp. Everyday as we get ready to leave camp we all take a shot, and any other spare time around camp, we're firing into it. So yeah, we all take at least one warm up shot before a hunt. :)

gravedigger
09-01-2011, 08:53 AM
every morning,aftenoon,and befor evening hunt i was taking at least 20 shots from differnt hillsides by camp.

HawgEnvy
09-01-2011, 01:02 PM
i shoot a couple arrows just to be sure my bow is on. in the stand i shoot squirrels if i get impatient(or irritated by rats). i dont do that once i see the bucks doggin the does though. then i just try draw on the deer w/o getting busted. helps to renew the feeling of the pre-kill shot