PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Martin Onza 3

foxman333
08-26-2011, 03:02 PM
I am a first time bow hunter and a first time martin owner. I got the martin onza 3 and am in the final stages of tuning the bow. However, after my last shooting session, I noticed that the string oscillating suppressor seems to be getting eaten up, and is nearly broken completely off on one side, and the string is showing rather noticeable signs of wear where it comes in contact with the torque reducing guard. My bow is set at 71lbs with a maxed out draw length.

If there is any advice as to what is causing these problems I would be glad to hear it! Thanks!

Destroyer
08-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Good old TRG issue. Welcome to the forum! :)

bob cooly
08-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Foxman; Check the other threads dealing with TRG/SOS problems and one I started on Martin ditchs TRG/SOS. My advice is to return the bow, it will cost you a considerable amount of money to fix. Esp. if you cannot do your own work.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Welcome to the forum, Most of the guys have been calling Martin customer service. Martin Cs has been replacing the TRG, SOS and the string set. They change the trg with a rod and cable. This will be the best way to go. Most of the guys have had great success this way.

Hutch:cool:

foxman333
08-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks dude! I love the bow so far, and this has been the first issue. Its minor as far as I'm concerned. Any tips on if just a simple adjustment would work, like moving it to the lower mounting point on the riser?

foxman333
08-26-2011, 03:21 PM
So far, I have been able to get the bow completely set up by myself. I'm capable of doing the work.

bob cooly
08-26-2011, 03:32 PM
You can move it to the Moon and it will not help. If you want to keep the bow and can do the work yourself get the replacement carbon rod and guide, new control cables, and either Martins STS or better yet a Limbsaver that mounts into your stabilizer pocket. Call Martin and explain or send them the pictures. They should replace these free of charge. The only thing you may not be able to do is press your bow to change out the control cables. Most shops around here charge $40 to press your bow and change cables. Good luck.

foxman333
08-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Thank you for the help!

bob cooly
08-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Ok now you got me going. If Martin would put a total recall on this, and they should as it could become a real safety issue for a novice archer if the control cables come apart, they might get their standing back in the archery community. As it stands it has the potential to see Martin go down in litigation and be no more due to producing an unsafe product. I would advise you not to shoot your bow anymore until you get it fixed.

foxman333
08-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Thank you! This has been a very big help! I am capable of doing the fix, and I will be sure to post the pics of it when I am all done!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-26-2011, 03:52 PM
The only thing you may not be able to do is press your bow to change out the control cables. Most shops around here charge $40 to press your bow and change cables. Good luck.You don't need a bow press with a martin bows. All you need to do is back out the limb bolts equally. Until the end of the bolt is see in the barrel nut. You should be able to do all your own work.

Hutch:cool:

j-bo
08-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Thank you! This has been a very big help! I am capable of doing the fix, and I will be sure to post the pics of it when I am all done!

A simple phone call to CS will get you what you need. If your riser isn't cut out for the STS, let them know that too.

Sharxfan
08-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Sorry to see that you have had so many problems with the Onza. I bought one a bit ago and I love it and would never give it back. I guess I am one of the lucky ones as I have had no string issues what so ever. I had a noise issue but a STS and some bowjax solved that for me. It is dead on when I am and is now very quiet.

foxman333
11-09-2011, 05:39 PM

Final bow in the woods

new cable guide and string decelerator

elkslayer4x5
11-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Looks good. Hows it shoot? :)

foxman333
11-12-2011, 11:56 AM
I absolutely love it. It has a very smooth draw and is pretty dang quiet. with a 30.5 inch draw with 70lb pull I am able to very confidently shoot out to 70 yards on the range, but I set up my blinds where my farthest shot is 45 yards. It's an amazing bow and it fits me like a glove. I was able to set up the bow up with little to no work. I got my first buck with a bow this year on Oct. 2nd. An 8 pointer with a 14.5 inch inside spread. Its not like a buck you would see on tv, but its a pretty respectable buck for the area! Love the bow, it is a great product!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Good to hear that you love it. Its a nice bow

Hutch

tomrybicki
11-12-2011, 01:51 PM
They are awesome bows. I just traded my Firecat 360 in at the local bow shop and picked up a black one. I never had problems with my Firecat 400 with the trg/sos,but I bought a Martin cable rod,an alpine archery mach 5 slide and a bow rattler. Is it just me or the $20.00 cable slide,because my 60 pounder feels like 45 now when I draw back? I've already bought the same equipment for the new onza. The trg/sos is off,but I can't wait to let it rip! Congratulations on the onza,and welcome to the forum. These people are great. I just recently joined too,and they have a huge wealth of knowledge and will help no matter what. Enjoy!

peace
11-12-2011, 02:33 PM
I absolutely love it. It has a very smooth draw and is pretty dang quiet. with a 30.5 inch draw with 70lb pull I am able to very confidently shoot out to 70 yards on the range, but I set up my blinds where my farthest shot is 45 yards. It's an amazing bow and it fits me like a glove. I was able to set up the bow up with little to no work. I got my first buck with a bow this year on Oct. 2nd. An 8 pointer with a 14.5 inch inside spread. Its not like a buck you would see on tv, but its a pretty respectable buck for the area! Love the bow, it is a great product!

Welcome foxman333, glad you have gotten your issues together. You seem like the kind of guy that will get more than your monies worth from a Martin Archery product. Glad to have you aboard.

Smarten Up and Martin Up

elkslayer4x5
11-13-2011, 05:30 AM

What? You alredy taken a buck with the new bow, and theres no pictures? We love pictures, especially bow kill pics, in the bowhunting forum of course. :D