PDA

View Full Version : martin "Rack Attack" Bow (Exile??) TRG strung wrong???

gashousegorilla
08-26-2011, 04:19 PM
First let me gripe about the grade school pamphlet that accompanied my new bow. The information is cursory at best, and the diagrams are worse. No weapon should be sold with such a dearth of information.
It DID however come with a one page insert about improper adjustment of the TRG. It has 2 really crappy photos that make it seem that the "expert" at Dicks Sporting goods actually strung the TRG incorrectly when he changed my draw length.
Can someone explain, or point me to an illustration that shows the TRG and how it should be strung?
There is a split string that attaches to the upper limb. The other is the "top half" of the shooting string. Which string is on the "outside" of the TRG? Where do the strings cross? Above or below the TRG?
HELP!

gashousegorilla
08-26-2011, 04:48 PM
The two illustrations in the "manual" actually contradict each other as to the position of the shooting string and split string.
Looking at the side of the bow, on the TRG side, the split string should be on the outer bracket of the TRG. It crosses the shooting string below the TRG and the split string is OUTSIDE of the shooting string.
My bow is the opposite and the strings touch below the TRG and each string twists when I draw the bow back.
AM I RIGHT?

gashousegorilla
08-26-2011, 04:56 PM
He was changing the "draw length module" and got the split string on the wrong side of the shooting string. They cannot ride in the TRG this way. The strings touch below the TRG.
I need confirmation of the setup because the photos of the TRG (amateur btw) and the drawing of the "single cam string diagram" (mismarked btw) show 2 different things.

MLN1963
08-26-2011, 05:22 PM
I asked this question before too. Here you go.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?9432-TRG-Cable-Routing

gashousegorilla
08-26-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm trying to judge from some of the online videos but its hard.

MLN1963
08-26-2011, 05:27 PM
The downward moving cable should be on the outboard side of the TRG and the upward moving cable inside the TRG. As you draw the bow you will see which goes what direction. The bottom line is if the cable rubs against itself you have it backwards.

gashousegorilla
08-26-2011, 05:39 PM
mln- were there pics with that post? i didnt/couldnt see them.

MLN1963
08-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Nope the description should get you through it.

j-bo
08-26-2011, 06:13 PM
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2586

TRG instructions.

TIGON
08-27-2011, 04:03 AM
Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems with your bow. I have the same exact bow and mine is great. I hope you fix your problems, hunting season is right around the corner.

gashousegorilla
08-27-2011, 04:21 AM
So far from the tips here in the forum It seems the downward moving string is on the outside of the TRG. The strings cross below the TRG.
What I need to know is- Does the downward moving string (aka the split string) cross the upward moving string (aka the shooting string) on the outside or the inside??? I believe it crosses on the OUTSIDE.
Is this correct?
HELP!! I wanna shoot my damn bow!!!!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-27-2011, 04:56 AM
Welcome to the forum, Seems that after I checked into the way they route the string and cable I find that the Martin website shows them two different ways. So I went to Cabela's site and if you zoom it on the pic it shows the cable on the inside and the string on the out. Here look for your self.
http://www.cabelas.com/compound-bows-martin-exile-bow-package.shtml

Hutch:cool:

gashousegorilla
08-27-2011, 05:44 AM
When set up like the cabelas photo, the cable and string touch below the TRG and when I draw it back, the two strings roll and twist against each other.
This is ridiculous. A new bow, 2011 model, and TECH SUPPORT IS NON EXISTENT. Is anyone from MARTIN on this site??? Or are we enthusiasts left to our own devices once we fork over the money??

Before I start cruising the web torching Martin and Dicks Sporting Goods, I hope someone at Martin can figure this out for me.

Jake-the-snake
08-27-2011, 05:54 AM
When set up like the cabelas photo, the cable and string touch below the TRG and when I draw it back, the two strings roll and twist against each other.
This is ridiculous. A new bow, 2011 model, and TECH SUPPORT IS NON EXISTENT. Is anyone from MARTIN on this site??? Or are we enthusiasts left to our own devices once we fork over the money??

Before I start cruising the web torching Martin and Dicks Sporting Goods, I hope someone at Martin can figure this out for me.

Ok, I can feel your frustration. But seriously man? Take a step back and take a DEEP Breath...it will be ok, I promise. If the cables are touching now, why dont you just switch them around them? Have you tried experimenting with it yet? This sport IS all about learning.
Im not ripping on you, Im just saying, relax.

And no, Martin does not check this sight all that often. Have you called them? Their Customer Service is Second to none in the Archery Industry

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-27-2011, 05:59 AM
Okay so if they touch with cable on the inside and string on the outside. Then switch them the other way. Most bows I work on the cable is on the outside and the string goes on the inside. Reason is that the string will be straighter and the cable will take up the torque. The Martin Ridge Hunter we just tuned the cable was on the out side of the Trg. We set it up and got is shooting perfect. If you call Martin Customer service they can help. We here are forum members. Not Martin employees. Did you look at any of the other Dicks sporting goods Martins I am sure they should all be Routed right from the factory. I understand Dicks messing up but Martin didn't. These forum members have Martin bows and some have exiles but they might not have read you thread.

HawgEnvy
08-27-2011, 07:18 AM
So far from the tips here in the forum It seems the downward moving string is on the outside of the TRG. The strings cross below the TRG.
What I need to know is- Does the downward moving string (aka the split string) cross the upward moving string (aka the shooting string) on the outside or the inside??? I believe it crosses on the OUTSIDE.
Is this correct?
HELP!! I wanna shoot my damn bow!!!!!

Alright,Newbie,CHILL! first off,find a GOOD PRO SHOP. Dick's IS NOT a PRO SHOP! there a bunch of F'n idiots that get flopped around from cashier,to shoes,to archery to stock boy. DON'T let them touch anything. however,you can go back and look at the other bows first hand and make note of the routing then do it yourself. you dont need a press for these bows. and since the aforementioned employee didnt know how to change the modules w/o pressing the bow,and didn't know how to route the string,do you think he even knew how to press the bow properly to begin with? if it bugs you that much,and it obviously does,then take your bow to the manager and insist on swapping the bow out with another of the same model since HIS employee screwed up your bow.

then come back nice and relaxed and let us know if we can help you.

Jake-the-snake
08-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Alright,Newbie,CHILL! first off,find a GOOD PRO SHOP. Dick's IS NOT a PRO SHOP! there a bunch of F'n idiots that get flopped around from cashier,to shoes,to archery to stock boy. DON'T let them touch anything. however,you can go back and look at the other bows first hand and make note of the routing then do it yourself. you dont need a press for these bows. and since the aforementioned employee didnt know how to change the modules w/o pressing the bow,and didn't know how to route the string,do you think he even knew how to press the bow properly to begin with? if it bugs you that much,and it obviously does,then take your bow to the manager and insist on swapping the bow out with another of the same model since HIS employee screwed up your bow.

then come back nice and relaxed and let us know if we can help you.

I wouldnt go so far as to calling them f'n idiots. There are a lot of guys that are actually really good about bows...

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-27-2011, 07:43 AM
I understand gashousegorilla's being upset. And we need to watch what we say on here. Not everyone understands what some of us know. Also we need to watch what we imply. Keep it clean guys. And lets help this guy out. He is upset because he buys a new toy and can't use it. If any one can post some pics for him to see the string route so he can get to shoot that bow please help out.

Hutch

HawgEnvy
08-27-2011, 07:56 AM
your right guys. my bad. that was a little rude. my apologies to all:o

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Apologies excepted. Now I have looked at many pics of the bows with the trg. Most run the cable on the outside and the string on the inside and I see no touching of the two. The cross is on the bottom and usually is.

MLN1963
08-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Well, chalk up some of your problem to the idiot changing the draw length. Strings don't have to come off or even be moved for that matter to move or change the draw mod. Again, I'll take pics tomorrow.... I had to press my son's Pantera to change out the module. I couldn't get one of the screws out if I didn't press it. I even called the local dealer and he said press it.

gashousegorilla
08-27-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm going back to DICKS and have them switch it back. If the string is correct- which I am certain it is not, something else is wrong. As it is now, the string leaves the top cam at a 40 degree angle towards the outside- that can't be right.
And guys- dont assume that because I just bought a new bow that I'm new to hunting.
Like I said I haven't shot it, but this is way too much trouble. Seems they created a contraption just to have something new.
I was appalled by the crappy pamphlet I got with this bow. THATS MARTINS FAULT. This bow is made in the USA but that manual was made in Hong Kong. There should be detailed drawings and pics as well as an illustrated parts breakdown. Any intern with a PC could do better than what I got with this bow. Though the front cover DID have a pretty pic of a smiling broad on it.
Having one pamphlet for ALL their bows is just chintzy.
Yeah, I'm calling Martin next.

Jake-the-snake
08-27-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm going back to DICKS and have them switch it back. If the string is correct- which I am certain it is not, something else is wrong. As it is now, the string leaves the top cam at a 40 degree angle towards the outside- that can't be right.
And guys- dont assume that because I just bought a new bow that I'm new to hunting.
Like I said I haven't shot it, but this is way too much trouble. Seems they created a contraption just to have something new.
I was appalled by the crappy pamphlet I got with this bow. THATS MARTINS FAULT. This bow is made in the USA but that manual was made in Hong Kong. There should be detailed drawings and pics as well as an illustrated parts breakdown. Any intern with a PC could do better than what I got with this bow. Though the front cover DID have a pretty pic of a smiling broad on it.
Yeah, I'm calling Martin next.

I believe you mean "woman" or "lady"...sorry thats just rude...I think you need to post pictures so we know what you're talking about. This is getting to the point where it is starting to make no sense to me.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I'm calling Martin next.I understand your frustration. Buying a bow and not being able to shoot it. Now I have been able to figure out a lot of problems for people. With their help. If you want our help we can if you would post some pics. These bows are simple mechanics. I have and others have been doing them for years. Martin will take care of you if you treat them the way you want to be treated. I believe it is a simple problem to fix and you could do it yourself. So I would say its up to you. Posts pics we will walk you through it if you want.

gashousegorilla
08-27-2011, 02:24 PM
First, I had no idea people were so sensitive. My apologies. The point I was trying to make at the time was- The pic of the pretty lady probably cost MARTIN more than the rest of the pamphlet. I haven't seen anyone deny that manual is bringing up the rear- hardly to be expected from the makers of "the fastest and most accurate bows in the world".

Next Hawg- what do you mean "you don't need a press for these bows"???
And for those understandably lost-
My problem is, does the string cross the cable on the outside or the inside? This is below the trg.
I've emailed Martin, no customer service till monday, and I'm not going back to Dicks till I know exactly what Im talking about.
So now I can cuddle for 3 days with my brand new bow, but thats it.

bfisher
08-27-2011, 02:47 PM
OK, I've had enough of this crap. This thread started out badly and has just gotten worse, although a couple guys have tried to calm it down. The Op has done nothing but complain about every aspect of his bow, the manual, the BROAD (Laura Francese) who is a pro shooter for Martin. Seems like verybody is getting upset, including me.

You guys know me. I'm not a hard ***, but it's time to give somebody a timeout (stupid word) and let things cool down.

I would suggest that the OP take his bow back to Dick's and let them straighten it out or call customer service for help. We have tried, but he appears to have tunnel ears and doesn't want to look at things with an open mind. Maybe he'll come back with an attitude of an adult. So for now................

Admin