PDA

View Full Version : Passed my mandatory Archery course

Ford
08-27-2011, 02:26 PM
So New York state requires a manadatory archery course before you can buy and hunt with a bow. Needless to say 10 yrs of boring instruction and I passed. 90% sure I could have passed when I first walked through the door but oh well. Its over and now I can hunt archery. Bought my tag today, put in for the lottery for doe tags and only gone one of 2. This happened 2 years in a row, and it sucks.

Sharxfan
08-27-2011, 02:32 PM
10 yrs is a long time. No wonder you were bored. :D

bfisher
08-27-2011, 03:13 PM
I can't be reading this right. I know what the course is as I was an instructor back in 1975, but why did it take you 10 years to pass it?

Destroyer
08-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Well done Ford! :)

cjchasman
08-27-2011, 03:41 PM
I can't be reading this right. I know what the course is as I was an instructor back in 1975, but why did it take you 10 years to pass it?

Barry...the "Y" is directly above the"H" on a keyboard...hrs. instead of yrs. is my guess. Of course you probably already knew that and were just bustin' chops lol :cool:

HawgEnvy
08-27-2011, 04:02 PM
well,Josh.If only you were in MI. unlimited private land antlerless tags this year. 5 tags per day all season long. :cool:

Arrow Splitter
08-27-2011, 04:30 PM
So New York state requires a manadatory archery course before you can buy and hunt with a bow. Needless to say 10 yrs of boring instruction and I passed. 90% sure I could have passed when I first walked through the door but oh well. Its over and now I can hunt archery. Bought my tag today, put in for the lottery for doe tags and only gone one of 2. This happened 2 years in a row, and it sucks.Congrats on passing your 10 year hunting college. LOL:D

Money Man
08-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Congrats Ford. I took the NYS course last year, and I believe there was a typo since my course was only 1 day, I believe 10 hrs is the right answer. Lucky for you that you got 1 of 2 does tags. I hunt in a preference point required zone, so last year I got my preference point and this year I was denied again. So I go into next year with 2 points. A couple years ago I made it to 3 preference points before I scored a doe tag. Good thing I don't have to pay the $10 application fee.

Double S
08-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Congrats on the Accomplishment.!. We don't have Mandatory bow classes here in Washington. You take one Hunter's Education course that covers modern, Muzzy's, Archery, Pistol and crossbow all in one course. I am one of the Hunters Ed Assistant instructors in my county. Over 2 1/2 day's. Friday evening, Its around 3 hours, Saturday is a 8 hour class then Sunday is the written test. After passing the written test then it's off to the 3-4 shooting courses. Free, Donations only.

Simple Life
08-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Congrats on passing your 10 year hunting college. LOL:D

So Ford would have a degree in archery lol:p

Congrats Ford and good luck this fall:)

SL

cyclepath
08-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Glad you passed. How long have they been doing this? We have nothing like that in MN but I think it would be a good idea.
You have no idea how many people here buy bows a week or two before hunting season and don't have a clue what they are doing.
I here every year, I didn't get one but I hit a couple.

Ford
08-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Hey guys,
sorry for the typo, I meant 10 hrs, it felt like 10yrs, hahahaha. I cant spell to save my life by the way if you havent picked that up in my posts yet.
I think the course is a good thing for young kids and new hunters, but for a seasoned gun hunter it was all the basic safety and laws that apply to hunting across the board. All good and useful info but repetitive. If I was a kid it would have been great.
I'm not sure how long they have required the course. My father in law didnt have to take it 20 years ago. But I do know its necessary in a bunch of states, canada and a few other countries. So if I go up north for some big canada whitetail it will be worth it.
I guess I'm not really pissed about the doe tag, I just really wanted to get the jitters out on a nice doe in archery, then still have a doe permit for shotgun so I wouldnt be sitting there only looking for horns. Knowing I could potentially shoot any one of the next few deer that comes by helps me stay out for longer hours. If I'm horn hunting, and they are few and far between here it makes the waiting harder.
Hawg I envy you, if I ever make it to michigan I will look you up. 5 deer is crazy! My resident is from michigan and he goes home now and again to visit his family, it would be tempting to bum a ride for a weekend.
Anyway I'm one step closer to realizing my archery hunting dreams, only a month and half left till season!

bfisher
08-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Barry...the "Y" is directly above the"H" on a keyboard...hrs. instead of yrs. is my guess. Of course you probably already knew that and were just bustin' chops lol :cool:

Thanks for that. I told you guys I'm old and dense. Now you have the evidence.