PDA

View Full Version : Just got out to shoot a bit!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-27-2011, 03:58 PM
I have been wanting to sight in my bow for longer yards. (2010 Bengal) It shoots great at 20,30,40 yards. But with building so many custom strings lately I haven't had the time. Well today the day before a hurricane. I got out and shot for a while. I hit well at 40yds. 50yds not as good about a 9" circle. (sorry no pics:rolleyes:) At 60yds I was hitting 3" circle. At 70yds I hit low must of been me I think? At 80yds I was dead on bulls-eye. So still trying to figure out 50 and 70yds. I wasn't tired armed. I used the same concentration. Don't get it!!

Hutch:cool:

Destroyer
08-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Good to hear, it can be difficult to find the time to shoot.

cjchasman
08-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Hutch, I think I read something about drag affecting arrows differently at different distance. You may have groups as yours because the arrow is correcting itself related to drag at different distances. The shorter distance may not show affect mid distance might and longer distance is time enough for correction. I think this is in the Easton arrow tuning section of their bow set up manual. Just a thought.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Cj, that is probably right on. It is every other 10yds. 30,50,70yds. 30yds being least of the problem. 50 being the next and 70yards being the worst. Now the thing is how to correct that. Change on the arrow nock? Maybe turn the nock a little and see if it can correct it self faster. Now you've gone and done it. You got me thinking.

cjchasman
08-27-2011, 04:39 PM
There is a bunch of combos... point or broadhead style/wt., helical or straight fletching, style of fletching, arrow rest, arrow charachteristics and so on. Easton listed a couple things to try. I'll dig it up if you don't have it.
cj

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Well we can eliminate the rest. So I would have to say it could be the new arrows are fletched straight. Well I could always tell the deer move out 10yds if he is standing in 50 or 70 yard zone.

cjchasman
08-27-2011, 04:59 PM
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87104

This thread has a link to the Easton Guide

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks CJ, I downloaded it. I think I have it already but I will look through it again.

Money Man
08-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Cj, that is probably right on. It is every other 10yds. 30,50,70yds. 30yds being least of the problem. 50 being the next and 70yards being the worst. Now the thing is how to correct that. Change on the arrow nock? Maybe turn the nock a little and see if it can correct it self faster. Now you've gone and done it. You got me thinking.

I have the same problem with my golf clubs, I just can't hit the 4,6 or 8 iron. Good luck figuring this out.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-28-2011, 04:15 AM
I have the same problem with my golf clubs, I just can't hit the 4,6 or 8 iron. Good luck figuring this out.Just tell the hole to move and the ball will drop right in.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-28-2011, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I,m going to see if it is me first. I will set up the shooting machine (take out the human factor) And see where it hits then. Then I will go from there. Using some of your guys suggestions.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-29-2011, 12:38 AM
Hutch, just as long as you remember your shooting machine will never be you.That's right. I just want to know if it was me. Then I can take care of me! If the bow doesn't hit well at 50 and 70 yards then Its the arrows. If it hits great its me!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Well Sonny, I am a discipline shooter. I anchor the same, I have no kisser button. I hit well. But I couldn't understand why at 50 and 70yards I couldn't hit well. So I thought must be me! So I went back to 80 yards bulleye no problems. 60yards no problem 40yards no problem. So the inconsistency bugged me.

bfisher
08-29-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm staying out of this one. I agree with Sonny up to a point. Finding a happy medium with the peep position is what we had to do when bows were slower and sight pins or sight settings were farther apart. Today it is still a good idea if you are shooting a with an extended target sight. And Hutch, to do this aren't going to be changing your anchor any appreciable amount; at least not enough for you to notice. It would be less than the diameter of the peep you are using.

On the other hand I would like to see you play with your idea of the shooting machine and see what you find. You might find that part of the problem is too little FOC or maybe too much fletching drag, both which can cause groups to open up at longer distances. So play around and let us know what you find.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-29-2011, 05:06 PM
The next available time I get I will have to try it in the shooting machine. But you mentioned something I haven't checked on my new arrows foc.Forgot all about it. I will have to check them tomorrow.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Well guys I got the some time and I set up the Super shooter @ 65.yards. I put my bow in it and shot my arrows. The findings FOC poor and the arrow were too stiff. So I took out my new arrows, not so stiff and FOC is right. Here is the results. OH btw MLN said in a old post that he wouldn't believe it unless he saw it. Here is The Super Shooter with my 2010 Bengal at 65 yards

http://s745.photobucket.com/albums/xx94/Hutchnsonarchery/?action=view&current=100_0994.mp4

http://s745.photobucket.com/albums/xx94/Hutchnsonarchery/?action=view&current=100_0995-1.mp4

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Well Sonny, I went out and shot from 20,30,40,50,60,70,80 yards. @20 dead on, @30 5" groups no bulls eyes. @40 dead on, @50 5 to 6" groups. @60 dead on, @70 6 to 7" circles, @80 dead on. It seemed to me that it was just me. But it was a pattern and I questioned it. So the guys gave me some ideas. Seams the spine in my old arrows is way to stiff because of how short they were. And FOC was way to little. So to make sure I took out the Super shooter and did some tests. And they were correct in some of the suggestions. Because as soon as I used my new arrows in the Super shooter. The video shows my new arrow hit the bulls eye. Then I used the same arrow again and shot it and it hit the same hole in the same place on the target. It just goes to show I need to pay more attention to the details in buying arrows. The Bengal is set for 65lbs dw @ 27" dl with old arrows being 415grns. @ 27.5" long 380/400 spine.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Goldtip expeditions, 55/70 8.2 GPI 400 spine @ 28.5" length.