PDA

View Full Version : paper tuning : single vs double cam

jdp1
07-21-2007, 10:31 PM
I recently spent a great deal of time trying to paper tune my bengal. Following the guide that came with the bow I began at about 6 feet. It was nearly impossible to get a bullet hole tear. I spent over an hour trying to tune it with the local dealer. Thinking I must have some major malfunction I took it in to another dealer who told me that single cam bows should be paper tuned from 10 yds, not 6 feet, stating that they take a little longer to correct due to a small amount of nock travel. He told me a lot of the literature on bow tuning is meant for double cam bows.
I initially had high tears (point below fletching) with almost any nock position.
I ended up with a nock point about 3/8 of an inch above center and good tuning from 10-12 yds out. Still can't get a bullet hole at 6 feet to save my life.
Has anyone else heard of this?
Also, I would be curious to hear how high most nocks are set with Bengal users. I am shooting a 65# bow, 29", Beman 340 ICS hunters. Whisker Bisquit rest and string loop.
Appreciate any feedback/commments.
JDP

kevin in ohio
07-22-2007, 05:49 AM
I recently purchased a Cheetah. (Same bow, just a little shorter) I am using a whisker biscut rest. At six feet, the dealer had no problem getting a perfect bullet tear through paper.

jhunt414
08-16-2007, 03:45 PM
You should check the charts to see if your arrows are spined right. I always start right next to the paper to see how the arrow comes off the bow and then move back and continue to make very small adjustmants to the rest. When I'm done I shoot a bare shaft to see how it groups with the others.Then I try different point weights to fix spine. Then I add a good spin in the back to furthur stabilize.