PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Martin Cheetah

hancock24_7
08-29-2011, 01:47 PM
I recently purchased a 2008 Cheetah unaware that year Cheetah is not rated for a 30'' draw. I need to obtain a 30'' draw at min. Any ideas? New cam and idler, hybrid cam, anything? Thanks ahead of time.:confused:

Arrow Splitter
08-29-2011, 02:37 PM
The best you could do with it is move the string to the #2 peg on you cam, which will make it a 29 1/2" draw length. Put an 1" D-loop on it, which will allow your hand to anchor farther back.

I hate to say this, but if it still isn't long enough, the best thing you could do is get a different bow, because changing the cam and idler isn't worth it.

By the way, Welcome to the forum.

A.S

Destroyer
08-29-2011, 04:08 PM
which will make it a 29 1/2" draw length.

If you need longer you should be able to get a little more out of the cam by putting a few more twists in the cable and/or a longer string. You will have to watch that you don't rotate the cam too much though.

It really depends on what you need, 30" including d-loop or 30" plus d-loop?

hancock24_7
08-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info so far. Hope to get some time to tear into it this weekend. I'll be able to make do with a 30'' draw and a loop so that will be what i try to get out of her. Will post the outcome: hopefully positive. Any other ideas feel free to chime in.

Arrow Splitter
08-29-2011, 04:17 PM
You'll have to be careful if you start twisting and untwisting the string and cables, because if you change the amount of twists too much, ATA, BH, DW, etc. will be messed up.

hancock24_7
08-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Technical Specifications

Speed: 315-320 FPS (70#, 30”, 350 gr.)
Let-Off: 80% (optional 65%)
Draw Weights: 50#, 60#, 70#
Draw Lengths: 24”-29”
Brace Height: 7”
Weight: 4.1 lbs.
Axle Length: 30.5”

• New Faster M-Pro Cam with optional Draw Stop
• Slim Torque Free Grip
• Thermal V Leather Grip
• New Omega V Vibration Escape System
• Carbon Cable Guard Rod with Teflon Slide

•Available Colors: Titanium, Crimson Red, Hunter Black

So this is the tech specs I keep seeing for this bow. Anyone have input on this, 315-320 FPS (70#, 30”, 350 gr.)?
I'm waiting on a reply from the actually Martin Tech team on this info. I understand what the numbers mean but where would they get these results if a 30'' draw is not possible for the 2008 model?

Arrow Splitter
08-29-2011, 04:22 PM
OK, the best (and quickest) way to get this cleared up is to call Martin, and ask for Joel. He should be able to tell you exactly what DL your bow goes to. Martin is slow at answering emails.

bfisher
08-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Changing the string to the number 2 post is supposed to reduce the craw by 1/2" if I remember right. Furthermore, for the OP, the Cheetah is adevrtised with a draw length of 29" on the long end as you already know. If you need it longer then do some actual measuring. It's possible that it already draws longer than 29". Most bows do. You can do a little twisting of the cables and/or untwisting of the string to fudge it a little, but go too far and you'll experience more noise and vibration from the bow. Also too many twists taken from the string will give terrible peep rotation.

You can do a little twisting/untwisting as I mentioned, use a longer string loop as AS mentioned. Maybe extend your release a little. These are mostly bandaids and if you really NEED a longer draw bow then that's what I'd suggest ditching the Cheetah and getting a longer bow.

Destroyer
08-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I understand what the numbers mean but where would they get these results if a 30'' draw is not possible for the 2008 model?

Its just the IBO specifications. They could have calculated it from 29" or made one up that went 30". It depends on how they test the bows, we have no idea about that.

Btw, does the module (on the cam) have f-7 on it? If it does then its 29" max. 2010 cheetah went to 30" according to the tech specs.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Hey Barry, I believe the Mpo cam is different. The cam only has 2 pegs on it, and the number 2 increases the draw by half an inch. At least this is the way mine was.

Hutch:cool:

bfisher
08-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Hey Barry, I believe the Mpo cam is different. The cam only has 2 pegs on it, and the number 2 increases the draw by half an inch. At least this is the way mine was.

Well then, I'll take your word for it, Hutch.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I think hawg can tell us since he has one. I just remember my Bengal had only 2 pegs and the first was draw length and second gave a half inch. That was a 07 I don't think the 08 is any different except the draw stop.
And now the Accu Trac has only one pin.

hancock24_7
08-30-2011, 12:29 AM
Opinions on retro fitting a cam from a newer model? I currently have the factory m-pro with the 29" module installed. Cam is also set to the #2 peg.

Destroyer
08-30-2011, 02:16 AM
Not sure a cam change will do anything, might be other reasons for the longer draw on the later models like the amount of reflex or deflection on the limbs. String and cable lengths are still the same.

Not saying it wont work though. :)

hancock24_7
08-30-2011, 06:19 AM
Ok, question, what procedure is used to put the twist in the bowstring? Pics or directions? Not too familiar with that

bfisher
08-30-2011, 08:17 AM
First there are several things you need to do. One is to post a picture of the cam from the side so we can see just what the orientation is. If you don't know how there are some STICKIES at the top of the page that explain it. I'd prefer the side with the two pegs for the string so maybe do both sides. Wouldn't hurt to show you at full draw (head to foot) with the bow either, and tell us our wingspan. 30" draw is usually a good fit for somebody with a 75" wingspan.

Second: RH bow? Take a pencil and draw a line on the left side of the cam where it passes through the limb fork for reference. Then physically measure the draw length of the bow. Measure the a2a and brace height with the limbs bottomed. Weigh the bow for draw weight.

Take note (measure) the height of your nocking point and peep in relation to some part of the bow. I like to measure from the top axle. Write it down. Write everything down.

Next use a press to relieve string/cable pressure. If you don't have a press then back the limb bolts out about five turns at a time. Watch the threads through the side of the barrel nut in the riser. When you have about 10 or 11 turns off you should start seeing daylight through the barrel nut. About here the string/cable should be getting slack enough to remove them. You only need to remove one end.

Remove the cable and add about 7 twists to the cable and reinstall it. Remove the string, stretch it out and remove about 10 twists from the string. Then reinstall it to it's proper peg. Now write down how many twists you made to each.

Now start cranking the limbs in again, about two turns at a time to each limb till they bottom out. Now look at the mark on the cam and see how much it has rotated. I'm going to guess about 3/8" to 1/2". Check the draw weight and if necessary back it off a little. Check nock height and peep and reset them to your previous measurements.

This should put you close enough to be able to shoot the bow and see how much things changed. Depending on how much cam rotation there is you can expect a little more vibration from the bow and maybe a little more noise. Twisting the rigging is going to change the specs of the bow.
a2a is going to be shorter and I don't know what they brace will be. Now you shuld be able to shoot the bow and see what happens. If need be put a longer loop on the string if you use one as this is about all you're going to get out of the bow.

If all this doesn't work then I'd advise putting it back to original specs and sell it and buy a bow that fits better. The cost of replacing the cam, idler and new rigging will probably cost more than replacing the bow altogether.

HawgEnvy
08-30-2011, 10:18 AM
mine is set with the F5 mod on the #1 peg. i have a 28.5" DL. id say that the next mod would put him at the max of 29" DL on #1 post. As Hutch said, ive got the same bow. '08 Cheetah w M-pro cam. string at 84.5" cable at 31.5". My nephew has a 2010 Cheetah w accu-trak cam F5 mod,only one peg at the same 28.5" DL that i have. his string is 85"(1/2" longer than the M-pro) and the cable is the same length at 31.5". I'm assuming the extra 1/2" string length is the difference in the cams.

So i would say that if the M-pro is 29" max DL,and the Accu-track is 30" max DL which the OP is looking for,then it should be just a matter of getting the Accu-trak cam and a new string to get him up and shooting. seems like a better plan than having an out of tune bow. But,season is closing in on us fast.

HawgEnvy
08-30-2011, 10:23 AM

wait! are you sure bout that? seems #2 peg would shorten DL because of pulling more string into the cam whereas the #1 peg there would be less string pulled into the cam.:confused:

hancock24_7
08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Any idea where to get the '10 cam and idler at a reasonable price? and should I get string length from '10 also?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-30-2011, 02:28 PM
wait! are you sure bout that? seems #2 peg would shorten DL because of pulling more string into the cam whereas the #1 peg there would be less string pulled into the cam.:confused:Sorry Hawg I got them backwards. Been awhile since I had one.

Destroyer
08-30-2011, 03:23 PM
String and cable lengths are still the same.

I got this wrong, its 85" on the 2010 model.

should I get string length from '10 also?

Yes.

bfisher
08-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Any idea where to get the '10 cam and idler at a reasonable price? and should I get string length from '10 also?

Most used place I can think of is the classifieds on Archery Talk. And what's a fair price? You be the judge. New AccuTrac cam, idler, and string set retails for $329. Part number to order is 3103-1.

HawgEnvy
08-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Most used place I can think of is the classifieds on Archery Talk. And what's a fair price? You be the judge. New AccuTrac cam, idler, and string set retails for $329.

the idler is the same diameter. just look for the cam used and a new string set from Hutch. though technically speaking, OP only needs the shooting string as the cables remain the same. but obviously would be best to change the whole set. I'll do some more homework and see what I can find for the cam.

Bowhunter_IL_BT
08-30-2011, 05:37 PM
If you like the Cheetah id go on Ebay and look for a 2010. It will go up to 30 in. I think the 2011 Pantera is still good and similar to the Cheetah and the Bengal from 2010. You can always resell your 08 Cheetah there. Not sure how much you would get for it?

hancock24_7
08-31-2011, 03:15 AM
I hate to consider dumping a bow over the draw length. It's a very reliable, consistant, affordable bow. If I could locate the '10 cam and get a new bowstring I would. Guess it's time to get searching before the deer get moving. Guess if no luck I'm going to have to sell this one and round up a new bow quick!

justin
08-31-2011, 07:43 AM
2x with sonny and barry. some monor modifications would help. but you never did mention what the actual draw length of the bow is with the f7 mod in. thats from the knock point to the deepest part of the grip plus 1.75 inches..... and whats your wingspan? could some of the issue be from improperly set up peep and sight?

Destroyer
08-31-2011, 10:53 PM
I hate to consider dumping a bow over the draw length.

Draw length is the most important thing get right. There are so many bows I could buy if only the draw lengths were right for me... sigh..... :(