PDA

View Full Version : Help Deciding Jaguar or Cheetah for Dad

basshawk
07-23-2007, 09:50 AM
All, I'm torn between the Jaguar or Cheetah packages offered at BassPro. The Jaguar is $299 this week and hte Cheetah is $399 this week. Both bows have basically the same Brace height and shooting speeds. The shots that dad will take are 30 yards or less. I like the whisker biscuit idea on the Cheetah and it would cost me $65 if I wanted one on the Jaguar (now the cost difference is only $35 between the 2). Both bows come with the same quiver and sight setup, so the only difference is the rest. Dad has not hunted with a bow in about 20 years and has never taken an animal with one. He is about 5'10" and weighs in at 250 with a 29" draw (good physical shape/armstrength). Tell me what I should look for in making a decision in which bow to get for dad. One note, there are no Martin Archery dealers within 2 hours of where dad lives, so having him shoot to see which one feels best is not a good option. I shoot Gold Tip Arrows with 100gr. Thunderchickens and will try to get dad using the same arrows. That way we only have to worry about one arrow setup for both of us. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BASSHAWK

hailoffire
07-24-2007, 09:26 AM
I shot both and would buy the Cheetah....I did, anyway. The Cheetah has the M-Pro cam that is IMO the smoothest cam out there. The Jaguar has the Dyna cam which is more aggressive. The Cheetah felt much more balanced to me. The M-Pro cam will also be alot easier on his shoulders since its been 20 years since he's hunted with a bow. Good luck and let me know which way you go and how he likes it.

bfisher
07-24-2007, 10:28 AM
With a 29" draw I would opt for a slightly longer bow Preferably something like the Pantera at 35", but that is not an option for you. I would not pick the Cheetah simply because it's too short. For the same money you should be able to pick up a Bengal. It's essentially a big brother to the Cheetah at 33" A2A and a much better choice. Retail price is the same also.

I know the latest rage is ultra short bows, but they are not always the best choice. Especially for a beginner.

Take a look at Martin's website at the Saber (complete kit). I have one for sale brand new in the bow for $425+ shipping. See if this would fit up your alley and let me know. It's a 45-60/DynaCam with all the goodies and all the draw length modules. Only thing needed is camo clothes and a hunting license.

YOu can PM me or email me at fish4752@comcast.net

Barry

basshawk
07-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the info guys. We'll see what we do. He is sort of starting to hem haw back out of getting a bow. He says he enjoys watching me hunt during bow season and that he may not want to get back into actually shooting a bow. I'm still bringing the subject up when we talk hunting. BASSHAWK