PDA

View Full Version : Quieting a jaguar

cyclepath
08-30-2011, 05:39 PM
I have a friend who just bought a martin jaguar and the thing sounds like a 22 when it's shot. We put cat wiskers on it and also put a rug under the ends of the limbs. Checked everything on the bow to make sure that nothing was wrong with it. The arrows are plenty heavy enough so thats not the problem. I know nothing about these bows but I know there has to be a way to quiet this thing down, he wants to hunt with it. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Destroyer
08-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Noise can come from overspined arrows, torquing the bow and getting collisions on the riser. First thing I would do the usual and make sure nothing is loose then give it a tap and see if it makes noise. What rest is he using and what string?

alex
08-31-2011, 12:10 PM
A stabilizer can help on this bow too. I use one on my recurve and it makes a big difference in the sound level. You can also play with the brace height by twisting or untwisting the string.

cyclepath
09-01-2011, 06:49 AM
Well, found out what the problem was. I adjusted the brace hight from 7 to 7 1/2" and when I did I found the problem.
He had put brush buttons on the bow, plastic brush buttons. Where he got them from I don't know.
Put a set of rubber ones I had on and no more noise. Well, very little noise anyway.
Put the original rest back on it, (had tryed another just incase it was that making the noise) and he's very happy now.
Kinda funny, the guy has been shooting a recurve most of his life and couldn't figure it out.
I guess that's what friends are for, help each other out.

Destroyer
09-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Kinda funny, the guy has been shooting a recurve most of his life and couldn't figure it out.

Easy to miss the obvious sometimes and I keep forgetting to ask about brace height, its one of the first things to check when setting up a trad bow. Good to hear its quieter. :)

DeepRiverBowman
09-13-2011, 09:23 PM
A couple of other things to try on your Jaguar - Bow Hush is a sheep wool yarn that quiets down string slap on the limbs and Limb-Savers will really dampen noise and vibration. Remember with Limb-Savers on recurves to put them lower than for a compound - right near the end of the fade-outs going toward the limb tips. Also, string leaches (also by Limb-Saver) are better than Whiskers.

mike