PDA

View Full Version : Scepter 2 - Older still good?

hunt2getm
07-23-2007, 11:32 PM
I am seriously considering using a Scepter 2 for spot shooting and maybe 3d. Was the bow originally intended to be set up with shoot thru system? The bow I am looking at does not have the shoot thru. It has Fury cams and is rated at 60#, 29DL. Would this be a wise choice for what I am using it for? thanks for input.

bfisher
07-24-2007, 10:30 AM
YOu should be able to convert it pretty readily. All you should need is Fury X modules and four cables. You use the same string. The only other possible addition would be the longer axle kit which I'd order with the rest of the gizmos.

BOWPRK
07-24-2007, 03:50 PM
It should work fine for what you want to do with it.You said the draw length is 29 the bow has a fairly high brace height but at 29 inch draw you should get pretty good speed out of it also no barn burner but should be fast enough for 3-D.as far as the x system on the fury cam you have to change the cams out for a set of fury x cams also with the x system to keep it at 29 you would need to go down one cam size.Im not a big fan of the X sytem but alot of guys are.as far as it being designed for the x system the ansewer is no it was just one of the options

Stash
07-25-2007, 11:50 PM
The Scepter II is very slow by today's 3D bow standards. You will have a hard time finding an arrow that will approach 280 fps at 29/60. It's still a very good spots bow, though - the world record FITA round was shot with the S II with regular cam (Roger Hoyle, 1414) and nobody has beaten that score yet with more "modern" bows, although there have been several scores close to it.

It originally came with the regular Fury cams but can easily be converted, as BOWPRK says, but you do NOT change cam sizes in going from a Fury to a FuryX. Some people seem to have that idea, but it's based on a typo in the Martin spec charts. The Fury and FuryX cams are identical in dimensions and give the same DL. For 29" on the XRG (AKA Elite limbs) you need the 0 cam size. I have a pair of these bows with exactly the same specs, and have rebuilt them several times over the years with both Fury and FuryX cams, so I'm familiar with the cam sizes and limb specs.

The long axle kit that bfisher suggests is a good idea if you're using oversize shafts with big feather fletch, but not necessary with small vaned outdoor target arrows.

If you like the bow, keep it for target and maybe find yourself a Cougar 2000 for 3D - virtually the same bow, but with a 1" lower BH and a lot faster. These can be picked up in decent condition for as little as $125 on eBay or elsewhere.

LeEarl
07-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Yes the Scepter II is a great spot bow, just like everyone has said. The Scepter II, III and the S4 all have the same specs. The S4 might be faster with the new cams. Nothing wrong with this bow for spots :D

Myk
07-26-2007, 01:45 AM
My Scepter II gets 263fps @ 29", 62lbs w/360gr arrows.

It's very accurate for either spots or long distance.

bfisher
07-26-2007, 08:27 AM
I must apologize. I forget that the Fury cam is draw length specific and as such does not use modules. As has been pointed out, if you want to to the X system you will need to pick up a set of FuryX cams. You may be able to find some in the classifieds on www.archerytalk.com.

I don't have all the specifics, but it may be possible to pick up a set of Nitrous cams and just convert to that system. You have lots of choices and I wish you a lot fun. You may end up with a one-of-a-kind.

Robert58
07-26-2007, 06:08 PM
I put together a Scepter II Elite with Nitrous cams about two months ago. It is not as fast as my 2002 Cougar Elite with Fury cams but it is, a lot, more accurate.

You can't go wrong with a Scepter II. If you upgrade to the new Furious Cams you basicly have a Scepter IV.

Robert

Deezlin
07-30-2007, 09:49 AM
I put together a Scepter II Elite with Nitrous cams about two months ago. It is not as fast as my 2002 Cougar Elite with Fury cams but it is, a lot, more accurate.

You can't go wrong with a Scepter II. If you upgrade to the new Furious Cams you basicly have a Scepter IV.

Robert

I up graded my S3 Elites from NitrousX to FuriousX cams. I unfortunately have sold the NitrousX cams. I would however, suggest if you do decide to upgrade you go to the FuriousX cams.