PDA

View Full Version : What size grip do you prefer?

Destroyer
09-01-2011, 06:33 PM
I've been thinking lately about the size of the grip on my bows. One time I would have said 'smaller the better' but after shooting my Mach X I'm not so sure.

What do you guy's prefer?

HawgEnvy
09-01-2011, 06:52 PM
thin and narrow feels the best and gives me better groups

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-02-2011, 12:40 AM
I have had all three listed I shoot the best with a small thin grip.

Hutch:cool:

RLW
09-02-2011, 04:51 AM
A long long time ago when I first started shooting compounds I had a Browning Cobra, which was basically a wood recurve with a couple wheels on the end.

Got my first Martin Firecat and went for the large high grip option they had back then, in part because it felt recurve'ish in grip and I thought a full more form fitting grip helped cradle the bow better and more solid

When I got my '96 Firecat I opted for the bit smaller medium grip that allowed bow to settle in pocket better, as I had started to realize that even with a relaxed hand, that more solid full fit of first Firecat, also created some light torquing of the bow.

Now I have the standard (I consider small) grip on the Bengal and find it to be the most forgiving of slight grip/hand movement or changes.

Got the '96 Firecat out just a couple days ago and it's medium wood grip felt like I was holding a 2x4 with rounded edges. There's no way I could get myself to take a file to it and ruin that nice checkering and Matrin logo engraved into the wood, so if I start shooting it much again, think I'll just do like my Hoyt shooting friend, remove the grips altogether and run a couple layers of grip wrap/tape around the riser.

bfisher
09-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Smaller the better. We all know that the biggest detriment to accuracy is the shooter so the less contact I (shooter) make with the bow the better.

elkslayer4x5
09-02-2011, 05:55 AM
I like a medium grip. possibly because I have large hands.

gravedigger
09-02-2011, 10:00 AM
i like medium.it fits good and makes me feel like i dont have to grip my bow.it just sits therea and dont move.well besides my really shaky hands

Ehunter
09-02-2011, 12:05 PM
I used to prefer the medium, until I got my new bows this year. Took me a while to get used to the new thin grips, but now that I have, my shooting has improved. And to think, I used to love my old "M" bow's wooden grip. Not even sure I could shoot it anymore.lol

j-bo
09-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Thin and narrow, like the Silencer.

Wish the Diamond outlaw/fugitive/dead eye had a thin grip as it shoots fine, just too big of a grip for me.

Probably going to get the bow madness.

Scott
09-02-2011, 01:31 PM
What is thick? And what is thin? I think the wood grips on the mathews looks ugly, that would be a thick grip to me. I like the grip on my Alien.

Speedykills
09-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I like medium to large grips,dont like the feel of just the riser.

Destroyer
09-02-2011, 02:58 PM
My preference is medium, I think the Shadowcat is but I guess it depends on your point of view, my pse is definitely small. I'm shooting the small grip fine but for some reason I'm not liking it. Its harder to torque but its also harder to control.

Amazing to see so many 'mediums', I thought the small would have been the most popular by far.

ain't no way I'd use grip wrap/tape.

A lot of pse shooters are using tape these days, not surprising though.

bfisher
09-02-2011, 04:13 PM
My preference is medium, I think the Shadowcat is but I guess it depends on your point of view, my pse is definitely small. I'm shooting the small grip fine but for some reason I'm not liking it. Its harder to torque but its also harder to control.

Amazing to see so many 'mediums', I thought the small would have been the most popular by far.

A lot of pse shooters are using tape these days, not surprising though.

Part of the concept of having a small grip is so the shooter has less control over the bow. Don't grip the bow. Don't do anything with it. Just let it pull back into your hand ina natural position. As my old coach from the 70's used to whisper to me-----Shoot the bow. Let the bow shoot the arrow. In other words you are not supposed to control the bow. Just draw, anchor, aim, and follow through. At the release you should do nothing but keep aiming.

Arrow Splitter
09-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Smaller the better. We all know that the biggest detriment to accuracy is the shooter so the less contact I (shooter) make with the bow the better.Spot on.:cool: I agree completely.

Destroyer
09-02-2011, 08:03 PM
With a target bow balanced up nicely perhaps but for a hunting bow that has a quiver attached, letting the bow torque by itself would be a mistake. Then remove an arrow each shot and it changes even more.

minnie
09-03-2011, 01:20 AM
i have a small hand and really like how the slim line of the martin mystic riser just sits in the hand without a grip attached. has the perfect angle as well. but not much fun when shooting early on those cooler mornings, hand gets a bit cold from the bare paint finished metal.
my samick mizar recurve has a rather chunky grip (compared to the mystic), which i cant remove despite trying. gives me a different hand position to what i'm used to with the mystic, but then again, i'm only just starting to play with trad style recurve.

alex
09-03-2011, 07:03 AM
I think the shape of the grip is more important. It may be odd but for me the grips of my cheap Perfect Line bows are better then the one on the Martin.

Destroyer
09-03-2011, 04:26 PM
my samick mizar recurve has a rather chunky grip

The recurves are like the older compounds but it must work good since they haven't gone to small grips like on modern compounds.

the grips of my cheap Perfect Line bows

The grip on the Perfectline bows I have owned were fairly small around the throat, pretty comfortable really.

cjchasman
09-03-2011, 04:44 PM
This is going to sound middle of the road but, well I guess it is...I like a medium grip right around the size of the 2010 Bengal. Some of my Parkers are around the same size but I have an older Parker, PSE and Mathews. They all seem to have the same style wood grip which is ok at the throat but they all have what I call a big heel to them. It rides fuller in the base of my palm no matter how little I try to hold the bow. Those feel way to big to me. I mostly hunt and can see the benefit of thinner grips but medium sort of fits my niche.