PDA

View Full Version : Threshold Draw Weight

enron77
09-03-2011, 02:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

I was just given a 40-50# Threshold. I put it together as best as I could but I have a question about the draw weight adjustment. I am unable to turn the limb bolt in either direction. Does it need a shot of lubricant to loosen them up? Also, what weight is it set from the factory? I'm trying to get it to 50lbs. Thank in advance.

Nathan

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-03-2011, 04:11 AM
Welcome to the forum, The limb bolts are screwed into barrel nuts. If they aren't cross threaded then a shot of lube will help. Turning the limb bolts all the way in will give you 50lbs. Do bolts move at all?

Hutch:cool:

bfisher
09-03-2011, 09:33 AM
If you can't move them I'll bet they are bottomed out by somebody with too much strength. Often times they come from the factory this way. Just what is the draw weight right now?

Destroyer
09-03-2011, 04:15 PM
If the lubricant doesn't work then maybe you need to be a bit more forceful. I doubt they are cross threaded but if they are then trying to turn them will be bad news.

Do bolts move at all?

I am unable to turn the limb bolt in either direction.

enron77
09-03-2011, 05:12 PM
The draw weight is at 40#. I brought it to an archery shop and they said the limb bolts were screwed in all the way. It appears they may put the wrong sticker on the bow and put the 40-50# sticker on it instead of the 40# sticker. I should have realized this when changing the modules. The instructions give you modules instructions for the different size threshold bows. The modules didn't seem to match up with the draw length. I'm new to archery and didn't realize this until after I paid to have a peep sight installed and the bow tuned.

Destroyer
09-03-2011, 05:48 PM
The draw weight is at 40#

Maybe not what you wanted but 40# will be a good starting weight. It will allow you to develop good form without struggling to pull it back. Are you going to keep it?

Btw, there are plenty of people that hunt with 40# recurves and this bow will be faster. Depends on the hunting regulations in your area though. ;)

enron77
09-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all the help. I was hoping to use it for hunting at 50# but I guess 40# will do for now. I shot it really well so I can't complain too much. Being new to archery I was planning on limitting my hunting range anyway. What would be the max distance for hunting with a 40# bow?

Destroyer
09-04-2011, 01:40 AM
What would be the max distance for hunting with a 40# bow?

As a beginner I would try to keep the distance to 20 - 25 yards anyway. Use cut on impact two or three blade heads for the best penetration. What arrows do you have?

enron77
09-04-2011, 04:18 AM
I have 4 no name arrows that I don't know anything about. I"m trying to find the right arrow for a 28inch draw and a 40lb bow. I'm not sure what all the numbers mean that are associated with arrows. Is there a chart online anywhere that shows how long of an arrow I need, the weight, etc?

Skbengal
09-04-2011, 04:27 AM
Most arrow manufacturers have thier own charts online for choosing the right arrow for your setup.Welcome to Martin.Hope you enjoy your new bow.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-04-2011, 04:52 AM
40lbs to 50lbs is what that bow is. I believe you need a new set of strings and cables. But if they are still looking good you can twist up the cable and gain the pounds you lost. What is the axle to axle length of the bow? If it is longer then the recommended axle to axle length, then the cable has stretched causing the pre load on the limbs to be less.

enron77
09-04-2011, 11:52 AM
I measured the ata length and I got 35.25". The sticker on the bow says it should be 36.25. The data from the sticker: DW:40#-50#, DL: 26"-31", Shooting String: 94", Split String: 37", Brace:7 1/8",ATA: 36 1/4". I have the F7 module in right now. According to the Threshold Module Chart for 50# and 70# Bows the matching draw weight is 31". Being 5'8'' I know from measuring myself and from my ability to compare it to a 27'' draw it is not at 31''.

The bow is brand new. I set it put everything on it and I know for a fact it is new. I appreciate all the help I'm getting. I'm hoping we can figure this out. If pictures would help, let me know and I can try to post them.

Arrow Splitter
09-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Your ATA is definitely too short. An ATA length that is an inch short is not good for the limbs. Untwisting the cable a few twists will solve this problem. ATA doesn't have to be exact, but it needs to be within an 1/8 of an inch approx.

I hope you enjoy your Martin, and Welcome to the Martin Tech forums.

A.S

enron77
09-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Your ATA is definitely too short.

Do they check for stuff like this before it leaves the factory?

Also, would this be the reason I cannot adjust the draw weight?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-04-2011, 01:55 PM
If they say they do they are wrong. We have new martins in here all the time and they are so far out of wack that we have to put them back into specs.

Destroyer
09-04-2011, 03:00 PM
would this be the reason I cannot adjust the draw weight?

Don't think so. You need to check the brace height. It might have had a shorter string put on it to reduce the draw length instead of using a shorter module. This would drop the draw weight as well.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Don't think so. You need to check the brace height. It might have had a shorter string put on it to reduce the draw length instead of using a shorter module. This would drop the draw weight as well.That is a great possibility. My thoughts too. I was discussing that with arrow splitter.

enron77
09-04-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure how accurate it is but measuring the shoot string with a fishing line it was under about 90, shorter than the 94 it should be. I'll get a better reading tomorrow when I take it to the shop. As for adjusting the draw weight, I was not able to tighten or loosen the limb bolts, even with an allen rench and light tapping with a hammer. Have any of you encountered limb bolts that tough to turn?

Also, brace height is 7.75 inches as opposed to the 7 1/8" it has listed for the bow.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Lets start out all over.
1. Get a socket Allen key, that will fit in a ratchet, so you can get the leverage you need to loosen or tighten the limb bolts.
2. Once you can loosen the limb bolts. Loosen the top one 2 turns then the bottom one 2 turns. Do this until you see the end of the bolt in the barrel nut on the riser.
3. Take a picture of the string routing to remember how it goes back on.
4. Twist or untwist the string and cable to the correct length.
5. Re assemble by reversing these instructions.

Once you have done this the nocking point will need to be changed. But the bow should be close to the specs. That is providing they didn't replace the string with a shorter one. If they did you will need a string set. I can set you up with that I am a custom string builder. But lets see first where you are at when you are done. You can do all your own work at home with out a press. We can walk you through it if you want.

Destroyer
09-04-2011, 07:08 PM
measuring the shoot string with a fishing line it was under about 90, shorter than the 94 it should be. brace height is 7.75 inches as opposed to the 7 1/8" it has listed for the bow.

Sounds like the string is too short. Take it back and get the correct string and module for it. :)

enron77
09-05-2011, 04:26 AM
I'm still really new to this so I think I'll bring it in to the shop today assuming it's open. I'll let you all know what is going on with it.

enron77
09-06-2011, 01:25 PM
I brought it into the archery shop. The guy there told me something didn't seem right and wasn't worth messing with. I returned it. I'm thinking about getting another one. If I get the 70lb model is it able to be turned down to 55lbs?

Destroyer
09-06-2011, 03:00 PM
55# will be minimum draw weight for a 70# so that is a yes.