PDA

View Full Version : nocks falling out

Birddogtwo
09-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Hello
I've been lurking for a while. This is my first post. I flyfish. hunt birds and started shooting a 3D course last year. This year I have enough confidence in my ability to bow hunt for deer. I live in central NH (Sanbornton). I have recently begun having a problem.

I have a 2010 Fire Cat 29" draw length @61 lbs and I have been experiencing nocks falling out in flight. This has happened with bothGold tip 5575 expedition hunters and 5575 XT hunters. I'm not opposed to gluing the nocks in but that seems to be simply masking the problem. The nocks don't appear loose and today I was shooting XThunters for the first time . On the last 3 D target (# 15) the nock came out on the way to the target. I had hoped switching to the XT hunters would correct the problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

David Rivers
DAR@metrocast.net

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Hello
I've been lurking for a while. This is my first post. I flyfish. hunt birds and started shooting a 3D course last year. This year I have enough confidence in my ability to bow hunt for deer. I live in central NH (Sanbornton). I have recently begun having a problem.

I have a 2010 Fire Cat 29" draw length @61 lbs and I have been experiencing nocks falling out in flight. This has happened with bothGold tip 5575 expedition hunters and 5575 XT hunters. I'm not opposed to gluing the nocks in but that seems to be simply masking the problem. The nocks don't appear loose and today I was shooting XThunters for the first time . On the last 3 D target (# 15) the nock came out on the way to the target. I had hoped switching to the XT hunters would correct the problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

David Rivers
DAR@metrocast.netHey David, I live right down the road from you. I am in Gilmanton. The first thing that came to mind is the center serving is to thick. This will cause the arrow nock to stay some what gripped when released. Thus the nock falls off in flight. It is possible they used the wrong size for the center serving.
Some here use a emery board and lightly file the nocks to fit slightly snug. Not tight at all. I used a smaller diameter serving and it solved my problem.
BTW welcome to the forum!

Hutch

Destroyer
09-04-2011, 07:03 PM
I've had trouble with them too but not during flight. It seems like the specs or tolerances have changed or something, the standard GT nocks don't fit very tight anymore.

I would just glue them in with superglue.

rjd
09-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Center serving is a good possibility or just poor fitting nocks. Just use a plastic bag over end of the arrow and shove the nock in the arrow. The plastic bag will fill up any gap and you still can remove them is one trick. Another that I have used is to on the raised portion of the nock dab several coats of fingernail polish to the portion that goes into the arrow.

Destroyer
09-04-2011, 08:04 PM
The plastic bag will fill up any gap and you still can remove them is one trick.

Unless the plastic from the bag was even all round the shaft it might throw out the nock alignment.

dab several coats of fingernail polish to the portion that goes into the arrow.

Haven't tried that, should work. Fletchtite is good if you need to remove them too.

MLN1963
09-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Good tricks mentioned already and I would add one more thing to look for. Check to make sure the nock end of the arrow isn't split. Put the nock in and try spreading the arrow shaft gently looking for cracks around the shaft.

For the plastic bag I would start with something very thin first: saran wrap or a wal-mart bag. You don't want to split the end of the arrow shaft!

If you are a mechanic type and have it laying around I would try some blue LocTite 242 or 243.

MLN1963
09-05-2011, 07:11 AM
I agree that nocks shouldn't fall out. I thought that LocTite being much less permanent that super glue would be better solution if it came to that.

Does this happen on all arrows or just some? GTs have .246 inner diameter if that helps you in your nock search. I find that my Hammerhead string with .020 serving material is pretty tight on nocks. The only other serving size I have is .016 and it is way too small.

bfisher
09-05-2011, 09:59 AM
I agree that nocks shouldn't fall out. I thought that LocTite being much less permanent that super glue would be better solution if it came to that.

Does this happen on all arrows or just some? GTs have .246 inner diameter if that helps you in your nock search. I find that my Hammerhead string with .020 serving material is pretty tight on nocks. The only other serving size I have is .016 and it is way too small.

Mark,

Something you can try is a couple short pieces of serving laid along the string and then serve over that with the .016. This is just like having a couple more strands of string only it'll just be under the serving, making the whole things slightly larger in diameter. Another option is to use the .020, but serve it tighter. There is no cut and dry formula for serving size as different string materials have different diameters, how many strands are used, and how tightly the serving is put on.

I use Easton CB bushings and G-nocks almost exclusively. The nocks have an ID of .098". I try to end up with a final serving/ string diameter of .010" or a hair less. The nocks will be a little snug but as you shoot the bow the serving will wear a little and the serving will compress making for a nice fit.

bob cooly
09-05-2011, 10:17 AM
I would not glue your nocks in with superglue. It makes replacing a damaged nock really difficult and you cannot change your fletching orientation while tuning your bow.

Destroyer
09-05-2011, 03:41 PM
something is wrong

My nocks are genuine GT's and the shafts aren't split, bs excuse that is. I wonder if GT is getting them made somewhere else or they are just a bad batch.

you cannot change your fletching orientation while tuning your bow.

Have no need to change them once I've tuned a bow so it doesn't matter to me. If you don't use too much super glue you can still get them out. Just a drop will hold them tight.

Birddogtwo
09-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Gold Tip is sending out different nocks to try. I hope thios does it

polaris754
09-08-2011, 05:37 PM
hey i have to agree with most of the above stated fixes ,except fer the glue part , hold out and try the new knocks , better yet if that dosnt werk , just take the arrows back , if yer serving is not to thick , its has to be a prob with arrow or knocks

Destroyer
09-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Gold Tip is sending out different nocks to try.

Excellent. For free?

Birddogtwo
09-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Yes the nocks are free. I can't fault them for trying I just hope this works.

bfisher
09-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Just for info, do you have any way of measuring the nocks or the inside diameter of the arrows? Dial calipers maybe? The shank part of the nocks should be .246" and the inside of the shafts should be the same or maybe just .245" for a snug fit. I've seen before some shafts that are slightly oversized.

Destroyer
09-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Yes the nocks are free.

Excellent customer service then. Where did you buy the arrows from?

MLN1963
09-09-2011, 05:24 PM

I have some new HTA HT2 arrows. 2 of my nocks fit looser than the others. (I know because I had to change cock vane position). I used a small dab of LocTite since I had suggested it earlier. It is working good. Much less permanent than super glue but still seems to be holding well. Anyway, just thought I would say I know for sure that it works now.

gravedigger
09-10-2011, 04:01 PM
GoldTip announcement.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1575419
thats what cs is all about

Destroyer
09-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Hope they haven't been breaking when shot! :eek:

gravedigger
09-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Hope they haven't been breaking when shot! :eek:

my buddys knocks broke off as he released.and that was 4 out of 6 arrows that broke

Destroyer
09-10-2011, 04:24 PM
4 out of 6 arrows that broke

Not quite 1 in 1000! :eek:

I've just sent an email for more info.

polaris754
09-10-2011, 04:46 PM
dang had that happen it aint kool, worried all night next shot limb was gonna break whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GUESS I LUCED OUT, so far been shootin fine , i dont wish that fate on anyone ,knock breakin on the launch pad aint good