PDA

View Full Version : Crazy arrow flight - really high!

droppixel
09-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Not sure what to think of this or how it happened really. I was shooting my Cheetah / GT Velocity 400 / Apache Rest / Trufire 3D Hunter release. I lined up and put 5 on the money at 20 yards. First shot I stepped back to 30 yards and whooosh arrow sails right over the target into my garage and actually threaded the needle on my gas grill luckily. went right over the tank and under the grill ... Luckily the only bad part of this whole thing was the arrow broke in 2 - everything else is good, aside from the strange arrow flight.

I immediately thought my sights may have moved. I looked at them, I have them marked, nope not the sight. So that left me with the rest. A few weeks ago, I had a freak shot that I couldn't explain. The arrow dived right after I released the shot. This was the opposite, so I am thinking the arm may not have been all the way up or that it was up too long?? Does that sound like a possibility? I don't know if the string somehow is getting hung up on the cable or what? So I loosened the set screw and re-set the string. It pulled through much shorter than it was before. Set that and took a few shots, still high. I had to leave the house, so I'll be tinkering tomorrow, but just wondering if anything stands out to anyone here.

I touch back tomorrow after I figure it out, because I know I will - don't have much time left before the season to have something goofy like this going on.

Destroyer
09-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Sounds like a rest issue to me, could be a collision with the fletching. Have you rotated the fletching so the cock feather is up? And check the timing, the rest might be staying up too long or it could be a mechanical issue, sticking sometimes.

droppixel
09-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Haven't changed anything on it. The one random shot was about 5 minutes after 5 solid shots at 20 yards. I'm sure I slide the knot of the pull string, so I'm convinced that has something to do with it right now. I'll be checking the string again tomorrow and getting some more shots into the target. Need to get this solved tomorrow - have a 3D next weekend I would like to shoot and season is just right around the corner.

Hopefully re-setting the string to proper pull is all that is needed. I would hate to have to reset all my pins and adjust everything out to 50 yards again. Everything has been totally spot on.

sirfunkeybut
09-10-2011, 10:13 PM
I had a drop away I made out of a two prong. I know when I would move the string that was from the rest to the cable even an eighth of an inch it would move my arrow 10inches or so.

droppixel
09-11-2011, 06:16 AM
Just got back from shooting a few arrows - reset the string and feel good at 20 yards again. Haven't taken a 30 yet, need to move the cars out of the driveway. I'll probably be able to do that this afternoon. The string definitely moved, when I pull the string taught to reset and then drew back to set the length, it is much shorter than it was before. Not going to trim any of the excess off just in case it slides and I need to set it again without having to cut another line of cord.

Destroyer
09-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Rest stuck up perhaps?

I have a NAP 2100 drop that does if the tension is turned up, not my favorite rest. ;)

wick
09-11-2011, 05:41 PM
I've had this happen to me twice this year. Once last week and once about 2 months ago. To this day I have no clue as to what or why it happend. Both sailed high, way high, like almost a foot over my block target. When I usually have a flyer it's usually only by about 5 to 6 inches, these were crazy high! I have a fully contained hostage rest, not a drop away. Thought that maybe I absent mindedly loaded my arrow upside down? I don't know. Maybe let the bow torque upwards upon release? Kinda kicks your confidence level down a little when you miss like that, but both times I went right back to grouping. I don't have an answer for ya but i know how ya feel, been there. just hope it doesn't happen at the wrong time.

Destroyer
09-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Thought that maybe I absent mindedly loaded my arrow upside down?.

Done that, also put the arrow above the dloop when hunting and wondered WTF when it fell short.

Trufire 3D Hunter release.

Has all this started with the new release?

Ehunter
09-12-2011, 01:45 AM
Is it possible that you left the draw string too long on the launcher arm, and that it somehow got bound up, causing the rest to raise more than it normally does? Been looking my Apache over, and that's the only thing I could figure out that might cause it. Also, I always put a little serving right above where the draw cord goes into my cables. Keeps the cord from slipping up, and causing low shots.

RLW
09-12-2011, 04:16 AM
Can NAP drop away rests (or any drop aways for the matter) over extend that much? My Trophy Taker is either at full height, or it didn't come up all the way causing the low shots.
I could see the launcher arm maybe sticking up until a vane whacked it and throwing arrow off, as mentioned

........also put the arrow above the dloop when hunting and wondered WTF when it fell short.

That's one one those "been-there-done-that" things for me too. At a 3D shoot, drew back at fox sitting in rocks at only 25-26yds and my arrow exploded on rock below.

Ehunter
09-12-2011, 11:59 AM
If you look at the Trophy Taker Full Containment rest, it can actually overextend. There's a small washer that goes between the rest arm and the rest frame on the draw cord. If that washer is missing, and you pull the rest ALL the way back, it arcs over center, and drops back down just slightly at full draw. I have had this happen to me on my FC400. All it took was a little adjustment and some serving right above where the drawcord goes through my cable. Now it stops right at the high point of the arc, and not past that point.
I took a closer look at my Apache rest, and noticed that it can't do this though. It stops well short of full vertical. However, if you have the rest set to not come completely up at full draw normally, it would be possible for a twist in the cord or the anchor point of the cord moving to cause the rest to come up higher than normal.

Destroyer
09-12-2011, 03:24 PM
At a 3D shoot, drew back at fox sitting in rocks at only 25-26yds and my arrow exploded on rock below.

Doh! ;)

Did you try and blame something else lol? Hmmm... rest must of stuck..... :p

droppixel
09-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Is it possible that you left the draw string too long on the launcher arm, and that it somehow got bound up, causing the rest to raise more than it normally does? Been looking my Apache over, and that's the only thing I could figure out that might cause it. Also, I always put a little serving right above where the draw cord goes into my cables. Keeps the cord from slipping up, and causing low shots.

I have a small knot above where I have it tied to keep it from moving. I think what happened is I bumped it down and it was either putting too much tension on the arm holding it up longer than it should have been. Didn't get a chance to shoot beyond 20 yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

RLW
09-13-2011, 04:33 AM
Doh! ;)

Did you try and blame something else lol? Hmmm... rest must of stuck..... :p
There was dead silence for a moment, then too much laughing at the dumbfounded look on my face for anyone to have heard any excuses I could have come up with.

droppixel
09-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Got it all worked out. Convinced it was the draw string out of whack either too far up or too far down causing there to be a problem. Good thing the Apache is super easy to set and had it fixed and shooting fine. Managed to get out to 30 this morning before work and no problems, so I am confident that was the issue.

While I was at it last night I made a target and flung a few arrows into just to see if it was going to work. Had this box from my son's bike sitting around in the garage and some scrap carpet from earlier this year. Figured, it would fit in there so I rolled it up and off I went. Stops the arrows perfectly, about 6-10 inch of penetration and super easy to pull out. Had a few of the shots at 20 make it to the other side of the box, but just barely so you can see a dimple. So I can shoot up one side and then turn it around. I need to wrap it and mark some spots yet.

http://i53.tinypic.com/sggz2q.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/rsxyqu.jpg

Spiker
09-13-2011, 02:03 PM
If you cut up that carpet into 1"-2" strips and pack all that into the box it will last you untill the box falls apart.
Then just shovel up the whole mess and pack it into a new box and yer good to go again...
Back in '90-'94 I lived in a little cabin that was backed by about 125k acres of National Forest land. I took a whole pile of 'gunny' sacks that I got from
a local produce stand - double bagged them and packed them full of carpet scraps I got for free from a local rug layer.
Then I layed out a 3-d course on the hillside behind my house and hung 30 of these bags from tree limbs and such.
I shot that course the 4 years that I lived there with basically zero maintenance needed.

droppixel
09-13-2011, 05:26 PM
This is probably a 16 foot section that is folded over I have no idea how many times. Would it make a difference if it were in strips vs the solid roll??