PDA

View Full Version : Cable Broke do I need to buy a new bow or not?

bowhunter74
08-06-2007, 03:49 PM
I have a M-44 Firecat and just yesterday as I pulled the bow back my cable broke. I was told by a proshop that I would be better off just buying a new bow, as the type of cable I have is coated..Any suggestions?

Robert58
08-06-2007, 04:54 PM
I used to have a Martin Firecat. Sold it about three years ago. My Proshop replaced my cables twice. Its not a big deal. It cost me $50.00. One thing, do not shoot with a fastflyte or any modern non-stretch material string. It will cause your cables to break prematurely. Only use a shooting string made out off Dacron B-50.

Robert

bowhunter74
08-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Thank you for the help and advice. I have another question concerning my cable problem. Would you also replace the string as well even if it is okay?
Any other advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated..

Robert58
08-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I didn't replace mine when my cables broke. Just make sure there isn't any broken strands under the center serving. One thing to watch out for is if your peep all of a sudden retates out of alinement a quarter or half turn check for broken strands under the center serving, if not one of your cables is braking strands under the plastic coating.

Is that what happened before the cable broke. I know each time my cables broke my peep rotated and I just turned one end of my string to realine it and kept on shooting. Not good.

Robert

bowhunter74
08-06-2007, 07:35 PM
I guess I never really payed any attention to see if the peep sight rotated or not, it all happened so fast I really had no time to react. I mean one minute everything was fine then all of a sudden my bow was practilcally jumping out of my hand. All I do know is that the coated cable broke down near my lower cam, and after that my peep sight did fall out of the bow string. That was something I never thought to check, but will definetly do that before replacing the cable. The guy at a local pro shop told me that they do not make the coated cables anymore, which is why to replace it and the string would cost me about the same as a new bare bow, I was glad to hear that someone else had the same problem. I mean if it would be better to just buy a new one I understand; however, that is not something I can afford to do at this point in the game. I mean bow season is just around the corner for me and I really like this bow. Thank you for all your advice...

Robert58
08-06-2007, 09:18 PM
What I meant about the peep rotating is that it will rotate around where you can't shoot anymore because you can't see thru it at full draw, assuming you don't have a peep with a tube to aline it attach to it. When strands start breaking under the center serving the peep will rotate where you can't see thru it. And you can usually see erragularities under the serving.

It sounds like you don't have a Martin Dealer near you that has been in business long enough to know anything about the cables or he doesn't know how to make them if he had the cable.

Call Martin in the morning and ask them about it. Joel C one of the moderters on Archery Talk told someone ealse yesterday. That he could send his Gonzo Safari them and they would replace the cables and string for $60.00 including shipping back to him. His bow has the same Teardrop system as yours.

Robert

Robert58
08-06-2007, 09:39 PM
One thing that I forgot to mention is that if you have the 16" straight fiberglass limbs which you should have if your bow is an M-44 and not an m-44 XRG with the long wood laminated limbs is that if you really like that bow. You might ask if they still have the upgrade kit for it to install the Z Cams that use the split yoke cable system like all of the new Martins have. There will be a difference in price but if you like that bow and don't want to buy different one. It may be worth the difference to you.

Robert