PDA

View Full Version : Bengal string and cable question

TheDuckBuster
08-11-2007, 12:11 PM
I have a martin Bengal and i am goin to change out the strings and cables, they havent been pre twisted so i was wondering what is the normal amount of full twists you put in the string and in the cable?

mcnuttrich
08-13-2007, 02:56 PM
I remember reading something about this the other day. I think they said 1-1.5 twist per inch. Try the manufacture of the string as they might be slightly dif.. They should be able to answer that.

bfisher
08-13-2007, 04:52 PM
A lot is going to depend on the length of the string to begin with. How strings are made and how they should be made are two different things. If a string/ cable is made right then it will come pretwisted with one complete twist per 1" to 2" of string length. I prefer 1" to 1 1/2". To achieve this a string must be put on a jig and left longer than it's finished measurement. How much too long is a matter of trial and error. It depends on the material used and how many twists the string maker prefers to bring the string to it'scorrect length under the stress of the bow.

I usually twist a string or cable down to about 1/4" short of what it's supposed to be just because the bow is going to stretch it out some. Same thing for the cable. If the bow is a single cam then I start 1/2" short on the string and 1/4" for the cable. Then install them on the bow and see how the bow specs measure up. Adjust as necessary.

Couple things to think about. Assuming the string/cale is long enough to start with twisting them down to size is usually a good thing. It makes the string bundle more "round" making the strands work more as a unit instead of separately. This helps reduce creep, makes the string more quiet, helps eliminate peep rotation and other ugly things that happen to bows that have crappy strings on them that aren't twisted enough (most factory strings).

There can be a problem with twisting, however, if the string was wrapped on the jig and all the serving installed, twisting too much is going to make the bundle strands) tighter and smaller so serving is likely to become loose and/or slide. This will be noticeable when your nocking point/loop starts sliding up the string or you start noticing serving separation around the cam or modules. This is especially a problem with shorter A2A bows and/or high letoff modules.

Sound confusing? It's not really, but that's why some of us use good aftermarket strings in the first place. We/I leave all that micro-measuring up to the string maker. He does it every day so has it down to a science.

OK, enough on that. I will say that if you should be using Martin strings then I've found them to be pretty good for a factory offering. I just like picking my own color scheme so I replace my strings from day one.

Does this help or confuse the issue for you?

Barry