PDA

View Full Version : Hammerhead strings

Ehunter
09-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Has anyone else noticed that the new Hammerhead strings seem to "fuzz" quite a bit more than other strings? I thought that maybe it was all in my mind until yesterday. Waxed my strings 3 days ago, grabbed the bow to shoot last night, and saw the "fuzz" already coming back on the shooting string. Nothing really bad like strands breaking or anything, just a "peach fuzz". It also seems to show up the worst around my peep sight. It's happened with all the string waxes I've tried, and on all 3 bows that have the Hammerheads as well. My older bows with the Stone Mt. strings look just fine. I've used Bohnings Xcellerator, Slick T-T, and now Winners Choice Ultimate, and still am getting the fuzz. Thanks guys!

bfisher
09-13-2011, 05:57 AM
So far so good on my Alien Z, but then I have only waxed them about 4 times in 1 1/2 years.

MLN1963
09-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Has anyone else noticed that the new Hammerhead strings seem to "fuzz" quite a bit more than other strings? I thought that maybe it was all in my mind until yesterday. Waxed my strings 3 days ago, grabbed the bow to shoot last night, and saw the "fuzz" already coming back on the shooting string. Nothing really bad like strands breaking or anything, just a "peach fuzz". It also seems to show up the worst around my peep sight. It's happened with all the string waxes I've tried, and on all 3 bows that have the Hammerheads as well. My older bows with the Stone Mt. strings look just fine. I've used Bohnings Xcellerator, Slick T-T, and now Winners Choice Ultimate, and still am getting the fuzz. Thanks guys!

I have the exact same problem. I thought maybe it is the new "trophy" material? I asked Hutch if he was getting this with the strings he builds and he said no. So I have no clue?

peace
09-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Just what is the base string material that is used for Hammerhead Strings is it a BCY or Brownell? Which material do they actually use?

Smarten Up and Martin Up

MLN1963
09-13-2011, 11:26 AM
They advertise BCY Trophy on the Martin website.

http://www.martinarchery.com/2011/features.php

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Hey Guys, it could be the colors of the strings. I noticed flo green and flo orange and flo pink are different in texture and have less wax on them. The other colors aren't the same. I have been working with a lot of flo colors lately and they are dyed differently as far as I can see. Not exactly sure of what you guys are running into but I haven't run in to it yet. Post a pic and let me see it. May be I can talk to BCY and find out for you.
One last thing the process of building a string makes a difference. Hammerhead might build differently then I.

Hutch:cool:

Scott
09-13-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm getting the same thing on my string, and they are not factory strings. I bought this X with a set of new cables and strings, the guy that built them isn't that good. Flo green and black, fuzzy wuzzy wuz a bear. I have flo green/yellow on my Bullet and no issues with fuzzzz. I bought those from Extreme strings, befor I found this forum. I think it was the 452X as well.

The new set: string stop hitting at very bottom of serving, and is loose. Cable servings are NOT even riding on the cable rollers, say what?? Junk.

Spiker
09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
"The new set: string stop hitting at very bottom of serving, and is loose. Cable servings are NOT even riding on the cable rollers, say what?? Junk."

Are you sure they were installed correctly. They can be put on wrong which will put the serving in the wrong location.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-13-2011, 01:43 PM
"The new set: string stop hitting at very bottom of serving, and is loose. Cable servings are NOT even riding on the cable rollers, say what?? Junk."

Are you sure they were installed correctly. They can be put on wrong which will put the serving in the wrong location.

X2

Destroyer
09-13-2011, 03:20 PM
It also seems to show up the worst around my peep sight

Strings hitting something (including cables) can cause fuzz. I wonder if its 'stress' related too, some of my strings get fuzz on the rear side.

Cable servings are NOT even riding on the cable rollers, say what?? Junk.

CCS? :confused:

Money Man
09-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Hey Guys, it could be the colors of the strings. I noticed flo green and flo orange and flo pink are different in texture and have less wax on them. The other colors aren't the same. I have been working with a lot of flo colors lately and they are dyed differently as far as I can see. Not exactly sure of what you guys are running into but I haven't run in to it yet. Post a pic and let me see it. May be I can talk to BCY and find out for you.
One last thing the process of building a string makes a difference. Hammerhead might build differently then I.

I am happy to report that my flo orange that you built has zero fuzz. Neither does the silver. And I have been shooting as often as possible.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Well guys I talked with other string builders. They all say that they have not had the problem with fuzzing.

Ehunter
09-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Hutch, give me a day or two and I'll put up a pic of what I'm talking about. Just re-waxed my strings before I made this thread. lol Even if they just hang and don't get shot, they seem to fuzz within a week or so. Shooting, they fuzz after 2-3 days.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Hutch, give me a day or two and I'll put up a pic of what I'm talking about. Just re-waxed my strings before I made this thread. lol Even if they just hang and don't get shot, they seem to fuzz within a week or so. Shooting, they fuzz after 2-3 days.One color over the other? or do they both fuzz.

Ehunter
09-14-2011, 10:41 AM
The flo green seems to be the worst, but both are fuzzing. I have an '08 Bullet X still on it's original strings and they are in better shape than the new HH strings. Same for my '09 Moab with Stone Mt. strings.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-14-2011, 11:08 AM
It is looking like the process that H&H is building them. They might be burnishing them too much.

Ehunter
09-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Remeber, I'm a pool guy not a photographer. lol Waxed the string 2 days ago, shot it for the first time since waxing tonight. This is the result of 45 arrows: 42914292

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Hard to see in the pic. But my guess is that the gore fiber is not woven in the string material well enough.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-14-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't know about the heat treating. But there is one technique, it is burnishing. It is to take off the excess color wax on the string before you twist it. This is to give the string a good appearance and so that it bundles together well. In my first stages of learning I did this process too much and the string looked dry.
My guess is this is what they are doing. You have to remember these strings are being produced a 400 to 600 a day. Not a good way to make a string. Unless this is told to Martin, Hammerhead strings won't even know they are having a problem.

bfisher
09-14-2011, 05:08 PM
I have a guess in my Pea Brain so have to ask this Hutch. String material is made from may many tiny fibers, correct? Is it pissible that the strings are over stretched and some of those tiny fibers are actually being torn apart?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-15-2011, 12:42 AM
That is possible. But a lot of hammerhead strings still have peep rotation. So it is puzzling. :confused: I talked with some of the best string makers out there and they don't have that problem. I so far have not had that problem. So it looks like it is in H&H's process.

Ehunter
09-15-2011, 02:08 AM
Since all the new bows have Hammerhead Strings, and all new bows had the TRG...this has me wondering if it's not really a problem of the TRG eating up strings, but rather a problem of crappy string construction not holding up to the extra friction of the TRG. Anyone tried aftermarket strings with the TRG sytem?

bob cooly
09-15-2011, 05:06 AM
I don't think aftermarket strings will standup much better to the TRG. My strings became flat from sliding on the TRG, there is just too much friction on one side of the string. One thing the TRG does is inhibit the string from working as it should by putting too much pressure on just one side of the string. My replacement strings also showed up with no loop serving = cost controls or oversight. I believe that when you replace the TRG the bow specs. are now off as the cams are not loaded the same as they were with the TRG. To really have a proper set of strings made for the TRG replaced with the carbon rod and slide new measurements need to be made as the dynamics of the bow are altered.

Your bowstring is the most complicated piece of machinery on your bow. Hutch what say ye?
How many twists are too many to try to tune the cams? ONZA 3 still in the upgrade stage. The advantages of the roller guard design is that it allows your bowstring to _work_ as it should, much like wire rope running over the sheaves of a crane. My Diamond Iceman shows very little string wear after 1 year and thousands of shots.

archerx7
09-15-2011, 05:57 AM
I don't think aftermarket strings will standup much better to the TRG. My strings became flat from sliding on the TRG, there is just too much friction on one side of the string. One thing the TRG does is inhibit the string from working as it should by putting too much pressure on just one side of the string. My replacement strings also showed up with no loop serving = cost controls or oversight. I believe that when you replace the TRG the bow specs. are now off as the cams are not loaded the same as they were with the TRG. To really have a proper set of strings made for the TRG replaced with the carbon rod and slide new measurements need to be made as the dynamics of the bow are altered. Your bowstring is the most complicated piece of machinery on your bow. Hutch what say ye?
How many twists are too many to try to tune the cams? ONZA 3 still in the upgrade stage. The advantages of the roller guard design is that it allows your bowstring to _work_ as it should, much like wire rope running over the sheaves of a crane. My Diamond Iceman shows very little string wear after 1 year and thousands of shots.

Here is a link to a thread that covers this very topic. Switching from the TRG to a standard rod/slide will have very minimal effect on cam timing and rotation.
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?18148-Changing-From-TRG-To-Cable-Slide.-Do-I-Need-Shorter-Cables

bowgramp59
09-15-2011, 06:05 PM
less fuzzing is supposed to be 1 of the trophy materials advantage over some of the other string material. i switched from 452x to trophy for that reason and all the the strings that i've made are holding up very well , a heck of a lot better than 8125 & 452x. i have an onza 3 with a hammerhead string on it, i haven't noticed any more fuzzing on it than on my other bows. except where the cables run thru the trg, and it isn't to bad. i wax it
real heavy at the trg. i really like the trophy material .

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-16-2011, 12:40 AM
It is a possibility that they substituted 452x instead of Trophy. That would make sense why all the fuzzing.

Destroyer
09-16-2011, 01:01 AM
My fuzzing happens on the back side of the string first, could be all stress related. The thing is it happens to all my strings regardless of the material type.

bfisher
09-16-2011, 05:06 AM
It is a possibility that they substituted 452x instead of Trophy. That would make sense why all the fuzzing.

That could be Hutch. Wouldn't be the first time they changed something and didn't update the website or other forms of advertising.