PDA

View Full Version : Limb bolts

Ehunter
09-13-2011, 01:51 AM
If you are shooting a bow maxed out on weight, do you leave the limb bolts turned down tight, or back them off just a hair? I have been told that you should always back the limb bolts off about 1/8th - 1/4 turn from full in. Also been told that they should be down fully. I noticed on one of my Onzas, that if I back the bolts off that 1/8th turn from full, my upper limb bolt seems to work it's way back out another 1/8th turn or so after a few dozen shots. Thought maybe it was due to vibration, but this is the smoothest shooting bow I have seen. No noise, no vibration, just smooth and quiet. Thanks for the input guys!

Speedykills
09-13-2011, 03:35 AM
If im going to shoot my bow at max draw weight limbs bolts are in as far as they can go.

Spiker
09-13-2011, 04:29 AM
I shoot with the limb bolts snugged down.

bfisher
09-13-2011, 05:19 AM
Yep, snug them down. If you have issues with limb bolts backing out then there is some vibration. There has to be. You think that string/cable assembly just stops with no vibration? You just aren't feeling it. Do a search and you'll find a thread about using lock-down set screws in the barrel nuts. There are pictures of them.

peace
09-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Yep, snugged down. Not tight! I just sort test for snuggness - back off, run back in real easy until I feel it stop. That tight thing bothers me. Tight for one person is really puttin' the wrench to it for another person. I hate to have someone crush a limb with all the limb problems that exist.

Just realized we have reached the day of using a torque wrench and foot pound specs for compound bows. I could see that torque effecting limb problems. Thanks Sonny for pointing that out.

Destroyer
09-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Just nipped up, use one finger on the end of the wrench and pull for increased sensitivity. By using a single finger it stops you from putting too much pressure on the tool.

Some bows are harder to tell, my mach x is terrible with no easily defined stop and four limb bolts so you can easily over tighten them.