PDA

View Full Version : Exile Grip

sfcjferg
09-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Does anybody have information on a grip for 2011 Exile? I got mine from Academy sports and it came with the rear portion of the fake leather wrap and the thin, fake carbon, stick on pieces that fit in the grooves. They look cool enough but after about 2 or 3 shots the heat from my hand causes the adhesive to give out. The wrap starts to bunch up and it pulls the plastic strip out. I see grips in the catalog but none look like they will fit the exile. HELP, its already bow season here in GA and it was 93 degrees this past weekend in my stand.

Destroyer
09-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a warranty claim but that might take some time. I would take the entire grip off and just re-glue the side plates on by themselves but that is my tastes, you might not like the bare metal.

Welcome to the forum btw. :)

dzsmith
09-13-2011, 11:54 PM
i have a 2011 exile as well with the same problem. the fake carbon fiber part of the grip on the right side completely peeld up. when i bought the bow i could tell it was on good to begin with. after looking at other martin bows, most of them do not have nice grips on them. i looked at some matthews wooden grip but you really cannot put an after market grip on our bow unless it bolts on around it. i think i am going to get some kind of spongy rubber wrap that has one side that is adhesive and wrap it around the entire grip. it will also thicken the grip. martins grips are to thin in my opinion. as for that, i myself really dont know what to do, im open to ideas as well, i would like another grip if there are any out there

Ehunter
09-14-2011, 10:38 AM
sfc, welcome to the forum! Have you thought about using the tentacle bow wrap from Simms (Limbsaver)? Just wraps around the grip and insulates the hand, and it would also thicken the grip area a bit. I know several guys that use them and love them.

Speedykills
09-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Just wrap some duck tape around it or similiar should do the job....Thats why i like wood side plates but seems like the newer martins are straying away fron that design.

Ford
09-14-2011, 03:40 PM
i had the same problem with my exile

sfcjferg
09-14-2011, 05:28 PM
I called Martin today and talked to Brandon. He was real helpful and told me that there have been quite a few with the grip issue. He suggested using krazy glue and using that for the leather. He also said to use krazy glue on the fake carbon fiber strips and glue them to the leather and the small bit of riser they touch. He offered warranty work but said that is what they are going to do and he is sending me out 2 of the saddleback grips, in case it happens again. He also said for 2012 there will be a replacement grip that will fit 2011 exile and others with the small grips.

Destroyer
09-14-2011, 06:30 PM
He also said for 2012 there will be a replacement grip that will fit 2011 exile and others with the small grips.

Hmmm.... so a new grip for 2012? :confused:

dzsmith
09-15-2011, 05:07 AM
Where can I purchase the tentacle grip

Ehunter
09-15-2011, 12:46 PM
dz, some bow shops carry them, or you can get them from Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc.

wick
09-15-2011, 08:13 PM
I had the same problem as soon as it started to get warm this year. I was told to get a hair dryer and heat up the grip and remove it. Take some fletch tite and reglue the carbon looking inserts on the side and then criss cross some glue accross the back of the grip section of the riser and reapply grip, streatching the fake leather toward the cut out for the insert. I did this in May and have shot 2 to 3 days a week since and my grip hasn't moved. give it a shot if ya want to keep the saddle back.

Destroyer
09-16-2011, 01:10 AM
He also said for 2012 there will be a replacement grip that will fit 2011 exile and others with the small grips.

Are they going to larger grips 2012? Are they? Are they? :confused:

bfisher
09-16-2011, 05:02 AM
Are they going to larger grips 2012? Are they? Are they? :confused:

I hope not. They're still too big now. If you want a larger grip why not contact one of the makers of aftermarket grips. They'll probably make you a wooden or plastic one. Then get ready for sticker shock.

Destroyer
09-16-2011, 03:47 PM
I hope not. They're still too big now.

Not for my large manly hands. I want a hunting bow with the same grip as a shadowcat and shorter ata too. Don't expect the whole lineup to be altered, just one model please.

hey'll probably make you a wooden or plastic one. Then get ready for sticker shock.

I was looking into grips for the pse and it was a bit of a shock alright, I'm not paying $100 for a grip!

sfcjferg
09-22-2011, 04:38 PM
I took Martin's tech's advice and I put Krazy glue on the back of the grip and on the leather where the strips go. Haven't been able to shoot yet but it's gonna be back in the high 80s this weekend and bow season is still on. Hopefully i'll get a chance to have the bow in my hand instead of on the hook. That's pretty much where shes been for the last 2 weekends.

sfcjferg
09-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Oh I forgot to mention. When I spoke with Martin I asked about the leather on the leading edge of the grip in the catalog pictures. They were sending me 2 new grips and I wanted to know if they covered the front. He said that was a misprint in the catalog and by the time they noticed it the catalogs were already printed. So....I guess no front grip, or that might be the new 2012 grip he told me about.

elkslayer4x5
09-23-2011, 05:23 AM
[QUOTE=Destroyer;69963]Not for my large manly hands. I want a hunting bow with the same grip as a shadowcat and shorter ata too. Don't expect the whole lineup to be altered, just one model please.

I was looking into grips for the pse and it was a bit of a shock alright, I'm not paying $100 for a grip!QUOTE]

You can get a lot of wood side plates and sandpaper for $100, even down under! :D