PDA

View Full Version : young adult bow

gunnerusmc
08-14-2007, 09:01 PM
My son is 13 and small for his age and I'm looking for a bow he can grow with. He can pull a 35# compound and has a draw of about 25 or 26 inches. Is the Bengal a good bow for him. I was thinking about a Mathews Mustang but they are only draw length adjustable by changing cams and only have a 10 # up or down variance in poundage. They start at about $500-$600 dollars for a bare bow. The Martin Bengal is much less costly and comes in a package complete with everything he needs to get started. It adjust 15#'s down from 50#'s to the 35 #'s I need as well as comes with draw length modules from about 25 inches to 30 inches. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Gunner

bfisher
08-15-2007, 08:22 AM
The Bengal would be a pretty good choice considering he's so young. Somewhere down the road if he can shoot more weight you could just get another set of limbs to make it a 45-60, which is enough for anything walking around this continent. Of course by that time he'd probably want to get another bow anyway.

By "complete kit" I assume your talking about the one Martin offers that includes the case and all, right? This isn't such a bad move really. It matches things pretty well and saves you a lot of headaches in choosing all the accessories. The accessories are not what I'd call top notch, but are decent enough to get the lad started and last for a few years till he may want to upgrade.

As for the bow itself? Pretty good by any standards. I've been in archery 35 years now and have had all kinds and brands of bows for hunting and competition.. My hunting bow choice this year is the Pantera. It's almost identical to the Bengal except a couple inches longer, if that means anything.

You'll be making him a pretty happy boy.

Barry

jhunt414
08-17-2007, 01:44 PM
I would recomend the P3 with the nitrous cams because it is easy to adjust draw length and is a forgiving bow. This is what I use and it has grown with me from when I had a 24" to now where i'm at 30" simply by changing tothe stronger elite limbs and bigger B cams. I love it!