PDA

View Full Version : Large vs Small dia. shafts

Don B
09-17-2011, 06:20 AM
Does a larger dia. shaft require a lower nockset than a smaller dia. shaft?
When shooting fingers.
Don.

bfisher
09-17-2011, 11:14 AM
No, normally it would require a higher nocking point. About the difference in the diameters. Just how much larger of a shaft are we talking about?

Had to edit this. When I say higher I'm talking about to the top of the nock. It also depends a little, very little, on the shape and size of the nock. You still want to set the arrow on the string so it is perpendicular and then tune from there. As a general rule you should end up just slightly above perpendicular to give the back end of the arrow just a touch of lift to help the fletching clear the rest. If paper tuning you're looking for a high-left tear of 1/2" or so.

Don B
09-17-2011, 02:06 PM
I have been shooting the Harvest Time HT-3, 400 spine with an .354" OD and switched over to the HT-4, 400 spine wth an .419" OD.
I was just wondering because I am getting a bit of up and down nock end flight with the HT-4's and the HT-3's fly like darts. I did readjust my rest so that the plunger is centered on the shaft, just wondering if I needed to move my nock point or not.
Don.

Don B
09-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks Sonny.
Most times I just set my nockpiont at 3/8" above center. Just didn't know if I need to reset it.
Don.

Destroyer
09-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Yep, needs to go up unless you can move the rest down. Shooting with fingers I usually ended up being about 3/8" above square but bare shaft or paper tuning will tell you.