PDA

View Full Version : Picked up some Carbon Express Troika broad heads!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Picked up some Carbon Express Troika 100 Triple Threat for the daughter. She shot all 3 at 20yds. They were just to the right of the bulls eye. I adjusted the nock by turning it an 1/8" of a turn. They all hit bulls eyes all the way out to 30yards. No funny looking shots they all flew perfect. I think for cheap broad heads she will be just fine. If she misses and looses one oh well at $3.25 each.

Hutch:cool:

(http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/archery/broadheads/troika-100)

Destroyer
09-21-2011, 07:44 PM
.................................................: (

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-22-2011, 12:55 AM
I picked up a pack at Wal-Mart. $10.97. The nice thing about them is not one of the blades is loose, they all fit very tight in the groove. They fly great and are very sharp.

MLN1963
09-22-2011, 05:39 AM
Great to hear. Did you square both ends of the arrow and still need to turn the nock? I have a fall away so I don't know how leeway I have for turning the nock?

I have been so busy with school and stuff that we haven't done any broadhead testing yet. Even if I had the time the wind is such that I could only do a 18 yard indoor test. Did I mention I hate wind!

I was thinking of trying some of these if I don't get time to BH tune my Thunderheads or son's MX3s.WM has both for cheap.

http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/crossbow/crossbow-broadheads/torrid-ss

or these

http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/crossbow/crossbow-broadheads/torrid-100

MLN1963
09-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Depends on how well you have the drop rest timed. Timed correctly even cock vane down will clear the rest.

As always, thanks for the info. You have a plethora of knowledge Sonny!

gravedigger
09-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Depends on how well you havet he drop rest timed. Timed correctly even cock vane down will clear the rest.

funny you say that my buddy shoots cock vane down and wont shoot anyother way

alex
09-22-2011, 12:07 PM
They sure have a strange name - "Troika". Made in Russia? ;)

MLN1963
09-22-2011, 12:13 PM
funny you say that my buddy shoots cock vane down and wont shoot any other way

I'm still under 50 my cock vane is up!!! :cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Great to hear. Did you square both ends of the arrow and still need to turn the nock? I have a fall away so I don't know how leeway I have for turning the nock?

I have been so busy with school and stuff that we haven't done any broadhead testing yet. Even if I had the time the wind is such that I could only do a 18 yard indoor test. Did I mention I hate wind!

I was thinking of trying some of these if I don't get time to BH tune my Thunderheads or son's MX3s.WM has both for cheap.

http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/crossbow/crossbow-broadheads/torrid-ss

or these

http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/crossbow/crossbow-broadheads/torrid-100I have had some broadheads close to how these look and I wasn't impress with the tests I did. And it was done shooting at foam. I found that the arms were weak, and the blades didn't open properly. That is one of the reasons I stick to fixed blades. But one way or the other they were cheap and fly great.

MLN1963
09-23-2011, 09:06 AM
I picked up a pack at Wal-Mart. $10.97. The nice thing about them is not one of the blades is loose, they all fit very tight in the groove. They fly great and are very sharp.

Were these BHs on the Carbon Exacta arrows?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Were these BHs on the Carbon Exacta arrows?Yep!!!

gravedigger
09-23-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm still under 50 my cock vane is up!!! :cool:

lmfao.....

MLN1963
09-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Were these BHs on the Carbon Exacta arrows?

Yep!!!

NO way those .0065" per inch $3 arrows could ever be consistently accurate out to 30 yards, with cheap broadheads no less!!! The next thing you will tell me is they still have the cheap factory fletchings on them!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-23-2011, 01:47 PM
NO way those .0065" per inch $3 arrows could ever be consistently accurate out to 30 yards, with cheap broadheads no less!!! The next thing you will tell me is they still have the cheap factory fletchings on them!Yep! I guess if I am going to be cheap its all the way! My son just finished broad head tuning his bow and only one arrow and bh is giving him a run for his money, its low to the right by 3-4". In his eyes it is a dead deer.
So have you bought any yet? arrows and cheap bh's?

MLN1963
09-23-2011, 01:52 PM
I bought 6 for my son. We haven't messed with them since they are for his recurve and to be used with judo points and blunts for rabbits and stuff like that which are out of season. Now I need to find an equally cheap way to make flu-flus out of them. Right now all he is worried about is deer since the opener is next weekend.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-23-2011, 01:58 PM
I bought 6 for my son. We haven't messed with them since they are for his recurve and to be used with judo points and blunts for rabbits and stuff like that which are out of season now I need to find an equally cheap way to make flu-flus out of them. Right now all he is worried about is deer since the opener is next weekend.For cheap arrows you won't be disappointed. The spine is a little heavy or maybe a little inconsistent. But both my kids shot them and I was impressed. Dead on a little low for the son and a quick adjustment and dead on. The daughters were good after a little turn of the nocks. She shot all the way out to 40yds. Cheap is okay with me. I just got to make a spine tester and check them.

MLN1963
09-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Cheap is good since he is always bending, breaking or losing his aluminum Eastons when he shoots, armadillos and stuff like that in the brush.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Cheap is good since he is always bending, breaking or losing his aluminum Eastons when he shoots, armadillos and stuff like that in the brush.A.S. is shooting them at 29" long dl 28.5 dw 63lbs. And they make a thwack when they hit the target. I would say they have a lot of kinetic energy. My daughter over shot one and it hit the rocks ruined the bh but the arrow was still perfect.

MLN1963
09-23-2011, 03:18 PM
One my son's weighs significantly more than the others. If I buy more I will bring my scale with me to WM. :cool: I don't know if it was the arrow, insert, vanes, glue or or all the above?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-23-2011, 03:28 PM
One my son's weighs significantly more than the others. If I buy more I will bring my scale with me to WM. :cool: I don't know if it was the arrow, insert, vanes, glue or or all the above?Yeah I would bring a scale. But as far as that goes if you look at the more expensive they have a production code on them just match the code it will be the same matching arrow. I did this with 6 terminator hunters and they were great arrows.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Carbon Express Troika broad heads! I have to admit I didn't expect much from these inexpensive broad-heads. But with the pass thru on the deer I shot I have to say not bad for the price.

darkember
11-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Incidently, what is the actual total weight of the arrow??

ElkSlayer
11-30-2011, 08:06 AM
stop this chatter I need to go sit in my blind..NOT run to walmart and play with arrows and cheep BH..lol
dang it Where are my keys ..Hey hon wana go to wally world....lol

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Incidently, what is the actual total weight of the arrow??382gn Carbon express terminator hunter.

ElkSlayer
12-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Hey Bill any info on the walmart Carbon express wolverine hunter 6070... Alll i can find is 50 -60 lbs bow and .006 ...Ugggg whats the spine anybody know I want to go get some while they still have a bunch

joecc3
12-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Got those at Walmart here in Maui and tried them out on a few Spanish Goats. Did well, good wounds but you get just one use. The blades break off inside the animal and thats scary when cleaning your kill. I'm a huge fan of both Muzzys and Nap Thunderheads. I just couldn't find any that weekend so I decided to give the Troikas a try. And yes stupid cheap! On the Walmart note, I did pick up a load of Carbon Express Terminators on sale for $4 each! I really like them. Just wish the inserts weren't glued in. Oh well can't be greedy.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Hey Bill any info on the walmart Carbon express wolverine hunter 6070... All i can find is 50 -60 lbs bow and .006 ...Ugggg whats the spine anybody know I want to go get some while they still have a bunch As far as I can remember on the wolverine's, the 29" are 50/60lbs @ 10.8 grains per inch. The 31" are 60/70lbs @ 11.2 grains per inch. Now don't quote me on this I haven't shot these in 4 years. The Carbon Express terminator hunters are approximately the same specs.

HawgEnvy
12-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Got those at Walmart here in Maui and tried them out on a few Spanish Goats. Did well, good wounds but you get just one use. The blades break off inside the animal and thats scary when cleaning your kill. I'm a huge fan of both Muzzys and Nap Thunderheads. I just couldn't find any that weekend so I decided to give the Troikas a try. And yes stupid cheap! On the Walmart note, I did pick up a load of Carbon Express Terminators on sale for $4 each! I really like them. Just wish the inserts weren't glued in. Oh well can't be greedy.

use an insert removal tool,heat for a few seconds with a torch and twist and pull. they come right out,ready to cut,reglue inserts,reinstall. only takes 15-20 min per dz to have them ready to shoot at your desired length

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-01-2011, 03:39 PM
use an insert removal tool,heat for a few seconds with a torch and twist and pull. they come right out,ready to cut,reglue inserts,reinstall. only takes 15-20 min per dz to have them ready to shoot at your desired lengthHey Hawg, what ya using for the adhesive?

ElkSlayer
12-02-2011, 07:25 AM
As far as I can remember on the wolverine's, the 29" are 50/60lbs @ 10.8 grains per inch. The 31" are 60/70lbs @ 11.2 grains per inch. Now don't quote me on this I haven't shot these in 4 years. The Carbon Express terminator hunters are approximately the same specs.

ohh darn to late....lol
so thats a good bit on the weight how bout spine... useing 400 on recurve and cougar need heaver for my other compound like a 300 ( easton chart)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-02-2011, 11:44 AM
I am not sure on spine but if my old memory serves me right they were 400's

ElkSlayer
12-03-2011, 07:34 AM
ok well no matter I picked up 8 anyway.... I just refletch and fire em off the recurve it's why i wanted them to begain with :cool:

ClydeWigg3
12-05-2011, 03:45 AM
Never Ever apply heat to a carbon arrow. Holy Cow! Just cut the thing off and use a new insert. They're cheap. If this was an aluminum arrow, I'd say heat till the cows come home. I don't know how much of the arrow you're going to trim off, but unless it's 6 inches, I wouldn't be applying heat. My fear is that the heat will weaken the carbon and you'll end up having an accident or the arrow will lose some of it's straightness at the end. Also, the toxic fumes from heated plastic and super glue should be enough to scare you away.

Aside from that, my free advice of the day would be to go to a pro shop, or order some Carbon Express arrows online. You'll get better quality arrows and your shooting will improve. I used to shoot all the Walmart arrows - then I got smart and started buying elsewhere. The deer hate me for it.

ElkSlayer
12-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Aside from that, my free advice of the day would be to go to a pro shop, or order some Carbon Express arrows online. You'll get better quality arrows and your shooting will improve. I used to shoot all the Walmart arrows - then I got smart and started buying elsewhere. The deer hate me for it.

We always Buy the goods, Thease cheap ones are for losing.... I bought mine to turn into Flu flus plan on blasting them at some honkers or forest Grouse, perhaps a Duck or 3... as per the heat deal Oh yea Lots of heat will wreak the arrow end. But one dose not need alot of heat to melt the glue.. Just sayin :cool:

elkslayer4x5
12-05-2011, 08:57 AM
To heat the inserts in a carbon arrow, screw in a field point, and heat that. The aluminum insert will transfer enough heat to break the bond. Never have to heat a carbon arrow. :cool:

ElkSlayer
12-08-2011, 04:01 PM
382gn Carbon express terminator hunter.

I got a total arrow weight of 379 ( no tip)
thats one after i redid it in a fluflu. so your pretty close to you 11.2 gpi Bill
31 " wolverine with g nock @10.5 gr , have no exact weight on the insert

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-08-2011, 04:06 PM
The old brain is still computing Huh! We looked up all the specs for those arrows years ago. But they were good arrows. We still have a few we use.

ElkSlayer
12-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Yea I like them.. had some i gave my son in law whom destroyed them on everything but another arrow...lmao
For what im using them for, I want some more...lol