PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about the bengal

fossil77
08-18-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm tied between the Instinct or the Bengal for my next bow purchase. I have a few questions about the Bengal that I'm sure you bow techs could help me out with. So here it goes:

Why is there a difference between these two top cams, but they are listed as the same cam? (M-pro) I like the one with the 4 openings as opposed to the 2 openings. What is the difference?...

The link button is not working for me>
The basspro.com Martin Bengal Package displays the 4 opening cam where as the cabelas.com Bengal displays the two circular opening cam. Please check it out.

I know on the Instinct you put the dampers on the quad limbs, where do they go on the Bengal? It looks like the riser, I'm sure that's a really stupid question.

The Bengal is a little heavier and longer than the Instinct any input on this?

Thanks for helping me out.

jackjr
08-19-2007, 11:31 AM
The slot differences you are talking about are in the idler wheel. The cam has 3 slot openings. The 2006 idler wheel had a two slot opening and the 2007 has a 4 slot opening.

I have two 2007 Bengals and they are both 4 slot. The Bear Instinct has a ATA of 30" and a weight of 4.1lbs. How about looking at the Martin Cheetah which is 30 1/2" ATA and weighs 4lbs 3oz. I might add that the 2007 Bengal may weigh a liitle less than the advertised weight because of the new idler wheel design. The Cheetah is basically the same as the Bengal but shorter ATA and slightly lighter. The dampeners on the Bengal and the Cheetah are at both ends of the riser.

I have not shot an Instinct but I can tell you that the Bengal shoots like a lot higher priced bow than it is. Also you will not find better customer service anywhere than Martin.;):D :cool:

If you do some research on net bow sites you can find the Bengal and Cheetah for just a tad over $300. Now that is a bargain for a great bow.

Jack

fossil77
08-19-2007, 01:22 PM
So say I wanted the newer idler wheel, is that just considered the 2007 wheel as opposed to the two slot 2006 wheel? Why do all the internet package deals come with the 2007 wheel but if you buy just the bow they are the 2006 wheels? Would they know what I was talking about if I asked for the 2007 idler, and would it cost more?

As far as the dampers go, can only the standard and omega fit the spot or can sims quad fit in there too? what type of limb saver would go on there?

You said that martin has good customer service. What kind of warranty do they have on their products?

As far as my setup...

Sight-
Truglo Brite site extreme five pin w/ light

Rest- Carolina deluxe QS WB

Stabilizer- Sims Mini S-coil? or regular?

Leeches should come with it and as far a limb savers go?...

Release- Scott

What am I missing?

Thank you for your input. I know I get sick of the same questions over and over again too.

leper65
08-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I just received my '07 Bengal (bare bow, not package) last week. I got it for $349.89 which included UPS Shipping. It has the 4 slot idler wheel and came with string leeches installed. One other thing that isn't really advertised is that the draw weight range is 15 pounds, so my 70 lb Bengal goes from 55 Lbs to 70Lbs. From what I've read here (and elsewhere) is that Martin will take care of you if you have a problem. One of the reasons I bought it! Here's the warranty out of my manual....

Warranty
LIFETIME WARRANTY
All Martin Compound Bows are warranted against defects in materials or workmanship to the original owner , on all risers, limbs, limb pockets, axles, bearings, and cams (everything except the string and cables) for 10 years (starting at the date of purchase) and then 50% list price for the life of the product*. (Strings and cables are not included, and should be changed either every season, or anytime they show wear, whichever comes first.)
(*The life of a bow is determined according to the production cycle of the model and on-hand supply of replacement components. Should a bow no longer be in production and supply of components be exhausted, an upgrade fee may be charged in order to supply the customer with a newer, updated model.)

The warranty is conditioned upon proof of purchase and other requirements listed below. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOUR SALES RECEIPT BE FILED IN A SAFE PLACE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE, AS REPAIRS WILL NOT BE PERFORMED UNDER WARRANTY WITHOUT A COPY OF THE DATED SALES RECEIPT. Martin Archery, Inc. warrants that your Martin compound bow will perform its intended function if used in accordance with the instructions provided. This Lifetime Warranty covers only the replacement parts, labor, and return ground transportation costs performed by Martin Archery Inc. to the customer. Transportation for the return of the bow to Martin Archery, Inc. is not
covered. No C.O.D. shipments will be accepted by Martin Archery, Inc. Warranty repairs can be performed by an Authorized Martin Dealer, for which Martin Archery, Inc. will cover replacement parts and ground transportation costs to the Authorized Dealer. Labor costs for warranty repairs performed
by Authorized Dealers are not covered by Martin Archery, Inc. Martin Archery makes no other warranty either expressed or implied, whether of fitness or of marketability, except as stated above. Any such additional warranty is expressly disclaimed. No agent, employee, or representative of Martin Archery or its dealers has the authority to bind Martin Archery to any agreement not herein stated. Buyer agrees that the sole and exclusive remedies for breach on any warranty concerning Martin Archery Bows shall be repair or replacement of defective parts. Martin Archery shall not be liable for injury or property other than the bow itself. Martin Archery reserves the right to replace defective parts according to availability with compatible replacement parts.

Warranty limitations are as follows:
1. If bow shows signs of misuse, alteration, or mishandling this warranty will be void. Use of arrows weighing less than five (5) grains per pound of draw weight is considered misuse and will void this warranty.
2. Claimant must be the original purchaser. This warranty is not transferable.
3. All returns to Martin Archery Inc. must be pre authorized. Owner must contact Martin Archery, Inc. at (509) 529-2554 prior to shipping in order to obtain a Return Authorization number.
4. All accessory items must be removed from the bow prior to shipping. Martin Archery, Inc. will not be responsible for damage or loss of any accessory item left on the bow.
5. Warranty is not effective unless a copy of the dated sales receipt accompanies the bow.
6. This warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may also have other rights which vary from state to state.
* This policy is subject to change and/or cancellation at the discretion of Martin Archery, Inc.

Myk
08-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Technically they're both '07 idler wheels. The Bengal was brought back for '07. New models are brought out before the model year to cash in on hunting season.
But since there was a change people have taken to calling the earlier version "'06".

One is just the redesigned version. So if you ask for an '06 idler wheel for a Bengal the store may or may not know what you're talking about.
Just ask for the 4 hole version.

fossil77
08-21-2007, 08:54 AM
I will ask for the newer version of the wheel. I can pull 60lb, so should I get the 60lb bow? Or would it be better to go with the 70lb and drop it down? I plan on shooting 60 most the time so I guess it would be best to get a bow that would perform best at the highest weight?

Thank you Jack and leper and Myk.

Myk
08-21-2007, 09:53 AM
I like going with 70lbs and dropping down.

Figure that an off the shelf bow was set up for 30" so going down from there will cost poundage.
I don't limit myself to exactly 60lbs I draw what is comfortable in that range.
Having a range allows you to tune your arrows by adjusting the weight up or down.

The M-Pro is pretty smooth on the draw and I push that one really close to 70lbs most of the time.
If it was something like a Slayer with Nitrous I may go for a custom build that is set up to give me 65lbs at my draw length because I know I won't be pushing it any higher than that (because I can't draw a 70lb Nitrous bow cranked up all the way).

Technically they perform best cranked up but it's probably not enough for the average joe to notice.
More noticeable would be the noise but that can go either way. You can get a slap from limbs backed out far. Or you can get a resonance when limbs are bottomed out against the riser.
If you're lucky you get neither.