PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Blue threadlocked mod screws

mike_o
09-23-2011, 01:44 AM
When I first got my Silencer the mod screws kept coming lose. So I put some blue loctite on them. Now they won't come out. I'm Heating them with a soldering iron nut the whole cam gets hot and I don't want to ruin anything else. I'm Twisting allen wrenches like pretzels. Any Suggestions.

polaris754
09-23-2011, 02:12 AM
r ur mods plastic or metal? if there plastic u might have to drill, if metal try letting soak fer a day with some pb blaster , be careful on the plastic stuff , last advise, call Martin good luc

cjchasman
09-23-2011, 04:33 AM
The blue loc-tite usually responds to heat/cold cycles and a seize free agent like PB Blaster as mentioned. Try to incorporate cold into your loosening attempts (ice cube). Also the blue will respond to a light rap with a hammer or punch. I know this is tricky on a bow but if you set it up w/ support you may be able to try a little tap after you apply heat. I would also make sure your allen wrench is a quality grade so it doesn't bend too easily due to being the weak link.

Don B
09-23-2011, 05:54 AM
I had the screw heads strip out on my Shadowcat. I pulled the cam off and drilled the heads out just enough to get the mod off, then I grabed the rest of the thread that was left with a pair of needle nose and that was it. I replaced all the mod screws with stainless and never looked back.
Don.

justin
09-23-2011, 06:13 AM
If i change my mods again drilling will be the answer. Ive got one that snaps hi grade allen bits like nothing. My threads arnt whats tight, its the taper of the screw on the mod making it stick.

MLN1963
09-23-2011, 06:15 AM
My guess is that it is not the LocTite at all. The steel head of the screw galled against the steel screw. Try this. Remove strings and cables. Heat up an old socket that will fit over the screw head. Get that sucker as hot as you can get it and place it on the cam around the screw and then heat the socket while it is on the cam. The aluminum cam will absorb a lot of heat, way more than you think. Aluminum is a great heat sink. The Aluminum will expand more than the steel screw and you should be able to get the screw out.

justin
09-23-2011, 07:43 AM
That would work, but i dont want to heat up my cam. Also, i dont forsee the need to mess with my mods im the near future

HawgEnvy
09-23-2011, 07:55 AM
When I first got my Silencer the mod screws kept coming lose. So I put some blue loctite on them. Now they won't come out. I'm Heating them with a soldering iron nut the whole cam gets hot and I don't want to ruin anything else. I'm Twisting allen wrenches like pretzels. Any Suggestions.

turn your limb bolts out even turns til you can see the end of the bolt through the barrel nut.at that point you can remove strings and cables. if your not sure how to put them back on,take pics of the routing before taking them off. once string set is off,they might be able to be loosened up because of no tension on the mod. if not,heat thoroughly with a torch,being careful to avoid the limbs with the flame. slow,patient persistance will get them off. it will take more than a propane torch to warp your cams. but REMOVE STRINGS FIRST AND AVOID BURNING THE LIMB TIPS

MLN1963
09-23-2011, 07:56 AM
The cams getting hot won't hurt a thing. If you don't do that you will end up stripping out the screw head and have to drill it out. That has a whole lot more potential for damaging the cam.

alex
09-23-2011, 08:33 AM
That's why i use only chewing gum on such things :p

HawgEnvy
09-23-2011, 11:59 AM
That's why i use only chewing gum on such things :p

please tell me you're serious. that's sheer genius.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Once the screws are out. Put a small piece of scotch tape over them they won't back out again. Or you could use chewing gum on them.:rolleyes:

Hutch:cool:

alex
09-24-2011, 08:40 AM
please tell me you're serious. that's sheer genius.

:D Yeah, i'm Einstein of our times. Now serious, i use chewing gum sometimes on threaded things, but have never needed this on a bow. I guess it'll work okay, but am not 100% sure. The gum stays relatively elastic for a long time and is easy to get rid of when is already dry.
P.S. Buble gum should be better then an ordinary one ;)

bob cooly
09-24-2011, 03:07 PM
IF you get to the place you have to try and drill them out, use a left hand drill bit, most of the time they will back right out after a while. Have removed countless stuborn fastners from the size of your mod screws up to 2" dia. stuff on a steam turbine.

bowgramp59
09-26-2011, 03:47 PM
they make a purple locktight it is designed to be able to get the screws out, it holds pretty good. i haven't had any problems like this with my 5 bows but if i do i wouldn't hesitate to use the purple, but not the blue , it is supposed to be permanent.

MLN1963
09-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Blue Loctite is not permanent, Red Loctite is "more" permanent. Red is not for use on small threaded items or commonly removed items. Even red can be removed if you heat the part to roughly 300*F.

peace
09-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Blue Loctite is not permanent, Red Loctite is "more" permanent. Red is not for use on small threaded items or commonly removed items. Even red can be removed if you heat the part to roughly 300*F.

Correctamundo!!!

Smarten Up and Martin Up

HawgEnvy
09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
did this dude ever get his screws loose?

justin
09-29-2011, 02:11 PM
He must have!

Sharxfan
09-29-2011, 04:39 PM

I was just thinking the same thing. Good thing I am done growing (at least as far as DL is concerned) as I used the blue loctite to put mine back in. :rolleyes:

elkslayer4x5
09-29-2011, 05:40 PM

You should have no trouble then if you do grow a bit.:)

bfisher
09-30-2011, 01:54 AM

I don't know, but I think Alex has a few loose screws. Bubblegum, indeed!! LOL. Nice to see some humor on these forums for a change.

HawgEnvy
09-30-2011, 03:18 AM
I don't know, but I think Alex has a few loose screws. Bubblegum, indeed!! LOL. Nice to see some humor on these forums for a change.

im with ya on that one,Barry.