PDA

View Full Version : FS: Custom Made Caping Knife

SkyChi
09-23-2011, 05:55 AM
This is a Beautiful working knife NOT a safe queen. Premium materials and great craftsmanship. This knife has never been used at all. $125 TYD in the lower 48.

BACKWOODS CUSTOM KNIVES
MAKER:BILL AKERS
SPECS
STYLE; DROP/SPEAR COMBO
STEEL: (ALDOS) 1095 5/32"
FINNISH: CLAY QUENCHED WITH A NICE BOLD HAMON
HANDLES: STABILIZED EUCALYPTUS BURL W/ SOME NATURAL VOIDS IN THE WOOD
SHEATH; TOOLED LEATHER "RH" CARRY
HARDWARE: SILVER PINS
MEASURMENTS: 6 3/4" OVERALL / 2 3/4" BLADE
EXTRAS: FILEWORK ON SPINE

alex
09-23-2011, 08:12 AM
That's a really beautiful knife and you don't want much for it. Good luck with the sale!

SkyChi
09-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Bill makes some really nice knives and all are intended as users. He uses beautiful woods which is one thing that caught my eye. Rarely does he use any type of synthetic handle material. Here's some more of his I own just to show what I'm talking about. The Recurve has Buckeye Burl wood and the other two are Snake Sycamore. That darker handled "Sick-A-More" knife, as he calls them, is my everyday carry knife. The price is very good on the Caper. Somebody will be getting a deal.

MLN1963
09-23-2011, 09:04 AM
What makes those blades look two tone?

SkyChi
09-23-2011, 10:01 AM
The "Hamon" is a result of differential heat treatment. During the process of heating the blade and then quenching it in oil it is coated along the spine with a special clay product that shields the metal from the oil on submersion. The blade is heated to exact tempratures for specific amounts of time to achieve the desired hardness and is glowing red when submerged. The result is a cutting edge that is harder & brighter than the shielded spine area which remains more mild and dull. You end up with a blade that holds an edge very well while still resilient over it's full length. Notice that the brighter edge does not extend far into the handle of the knives.

It is an age old process used by many makers of fine blades in several cultures. The visual effect is actually secondary to the practical purpose and does not wear off. It is throughout the blade. Many makers, like Bill, go through great lenghts to produce nice looking Hamons by applying the clay in patterns and doing extensive polishing to produce the desired effect. The one looks like Waves and the other Mountians on the Sick-A-More knives.

Hope that helps you understand. It is a very presice process particulaly to produce the nice patterns that true Bladesmiths are capable of. Bill is exceptionally good at it.

SkyChi
09-24-2011, 04:54 AM
SOLD folks. Thanks for looking.