PDA

View Full Version : Ridge Hunter and blacktail

coastie hunter
09-25-2011, 08:30 AM
The new ridge hunter drew blood nice blacktail doe. used a 4 blade buzzcut for a quick kill. l love my martins. One more tag to fill for my boy.

Double S
09-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Well done and Congrats.!

Arrow Splitter
09-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Congratulations on the doe, and Welcome to the Martin Forum!!:cool:

A.S

coastie hunter
09-25-2011, 04:36 PM
thanks guys this is a good place to be.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Welcome and congrats! doesn't get better then that!

Hutch:cool:

Jake-the-snake
09-25-2011, 07:59 PM
those buzzcuts really do work...I had a passthrough on a quartering too shot, at 41 yards...through a rib, out the hindquarters, and the arrow layed in the grass another 6 yards farther...

elkslayer4x5
09-27-2011, 05:24 AM
Nice doe.
Coastie hunter. where are you from? Only 3 states have blacktail deer, California, Oregon, and Washington. :)

MLN1963
09-27-2011, 06:32 AM
That is a lush green color in the pictures. I think you can rule out California Elkslayer.

elkslayer4x5
09-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Well, we can rule out California only because you can only take a doe in a special hunt there, and as for the lush green, my yard is too. Just guessing but don't think ch had his daughter along, so I think the camera was at home. I moved here in April from Northern California. Mendocino Coast. Green there all year long, very mild climate.

MLN1963
09-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Silly me forgot about the coast. I spent 16 years in NorCal, I still think that is too green for inland Cali.

gravedigger
09-27-2011, 11:28 AM
im going to hope for oregon so we can have at least 3 of us on this forum:cool:

elkslayer4x5
09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Elkslayer just got his laptop fixed, so maybe we could be up to 4, think we still outnumber the other state. But not by much.

elkslayer4x5
09-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Silly me forgot about the coast. I spent 16 years in NorCal, I still think that is too green for inland Cali.

For sure its not inland, I'm sure in your 16 years there, you heard it refered as the green and gold state? Where in Nor Cal? :)

MLN1963
09-27-2011, 11:51 AM
I was stationed at Travis AFB and spent many weekends in the Mendincino National Forest and on the otherside of the valley in the Sierra Nevadas. No hunting though I did see a lot of wildlife.

elkslayer4x5
09-27-2011, 12:37 PM
If you've spent time in the Mendocino National Forest, then you know where Lake Pillsbury is, right? This was taken at Lake Pillsbury. Which last year opened an elk season, draw only, two bull, two antlerless. I lived 1 1/2 hours away.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Pillsbury%20elk/DSCN0096.jpg

Here's a link to my Pillsbury elk album. Tule elk

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Pillsbury%20elk/

And a link to my Usal elk album. Roosevelt elk. I lived 40 miles away.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Usal/

MLN1963
09-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Yep, it as burned up a lot while I was there and I never got to do any riding, 4-wheeling or camping over there. I spent most of my time based out of Stoneyford, Davis flats, and Digger pine areas.

elkslayer4x5
09-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Some great hunting in that National forest, and its bordered on the north by 5 other National Forests. :) Real shame that you never got to camp there, beautiful place.

coastie hunter
09-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey elkslayer I live in western washington not far from martin.

elkslayer4x5
09-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Great to have another blacktail hunter here, and coastal blacktails too. Not the muletails. Washington's dividing line also I-5? Have you seen this head? Very unusual blacktail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/homesteadbuck.jpg

Grandson inlaw found it pretty close to the apple tree where I got the pics that big blackie I'm after this year. I found the cowbell very near there as well. More of the story in Stéphane's post ( another blacktail hunter, north of you. )"Need someone to take your bow for a walk?"

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?19719-Need-someone-to-take-your-bow-for-a-walk

About 3 weeks ago, I cleared an old atv trail thru the BLM to the private property we have permission for, where the appple tree is. a few days later that big bear wanders thru one of the last remaining mud puddles, leaving half a dozen clear prints at least 5" wide. I did'nt have my camera with me, nor anything to gauge them with. So I rode back in the next day, only to find that someone had driven down the old trail and thru the puddle, wiping out the prints. You could say that I was and am a bit ticked off at a blue Toyota. Saw them comming out. :mad:

Double S
09-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi Coastie hunter. I'm over in Lincoln County. I'm approximately 172 miles north of the Martin Archery Factory. I'm gonna take a trip down there before the snow drops for a factory tour. I'm hoping to be able to take pictures.

Hey elkslayer I live in western washington not far from martin.

elkslayer4x5
09-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Coastie hunter, I hunted in the rain shadow of Olympia Nat Forest in 2006, near the Skokomish river, sorry to say that hunt was busted by illeagal alians picking brush for florests, ( they where everywhere ) but it sure was beautifull. One of the rainclouds made it over the rainforest and dumped 2" of rain on us one day. Whooee! Luckely we saw the storm comming and had time to put up enought tarp to keep the camp semi dry, or we'd have floated down the Skokomish! :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/deast-lr/Skokomish/PA190023.jpg

coastie hunter
09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Thats nice country,Im not far from there you must of been up high way 2 up by monroe? towards index. I am only about 15 miles north west of there, hard hunting up that way but I have seen some nice bucks shot in that gmu. way to many illegals in monroe,its like mexico. I have been hunting the islands alot the last few years do to the fact that theres to many deer and nobody hunting them,its easy to get a extra tag, I have 3 kids and they all love deer meat so the more venison the better.

elkslayer4x5
09-30-2011, 05:03 AM
We were camped about a mile from where that pic was taken ( off the bridge ) along side of West Lake. Beautifull place. But as you said, a lot of illeagals, in fact the place was crawling with 'em. Each morning several 1 ton Vans would drop pickers off every mile along the road, and pick them up again in the late afternoon. I have two nephews living in Bremerton, one of which I was hunting with, funny thing, while on the way out to Lake West ( by the way my last name is East ) Lee and I talked about hunting the islands, he was telling me how most of the residents where transplanted from Seatle and how the deer were overpopulating the islands. I'll send him a link to this, and let him know that he was correct. Oh, by the way, welcome to this site, As I said, always glad to meet another blacktail hunter. I notice that your doe is already into her winter coat, that 3 tone brown, black, gray coat, that allows them to blend so well into shadows. :D

Cowoak
10-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Nice meat for the freezer.