PDA

View Full Version : Fletching hitting cables Quest-05

odela131
08-24-2007, 09:51 PM
I noticed on my arrows one of the Feathers were getting ruffled and on the other set i have the vanes were ripping after a couple of shots. I tried moving the Cable guard bar out of the way as much as possible but its still touching the cable. The bow is a Martin Quest 05, 60#dw, 28dl. I shoot Easton xx75 2018, Feather is 1/2 inch. Anyone is having the same problem or can someone help me with some info.:confused:
Thanks in advance, OD

bfisher
08-24-2007, 10:01 PM
How is your bow's centershot? You don't mention which cam system is on the bow, but in any case check for idler wheel lean or cam lean if it has dual cams.

Baring this I'd get to a decent pro shop and see if they can SEE what is going on.

odela131
08-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Hey BFisher, Its a Single cam Dyna cam. What do you mean by center shot?? The bow shoots straight, i hit my targets.. Thanks OD

bfisher
08-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Got your PM, but decided to answer here. By centershot I mean the position of the rest horizontally. Now, being as you have the DynaCam check for idler wheel lean (top wheel). See if the string is coming off it straight. Easy way to do this is to hold an arrow along the side of the idler and see if it parallels the string. If there is any lean then you need to twist up one side of the cable yoke to straighten it out.

These are basic set up steps before you do any tuning. Now you need to tune the bow. Maybe you don't need to make any adjustments, but it's good to know the steps in tuning regardless of the bow. I could go on and on about it, but the best advice I can give is to go to www.eastonarchery.com and download their Tuning Guide. It explains a lot about setting up a bow from the beginning and several ways to tune and what adjustments to make to correct any problems. Just plain good stuff to learn.

Now, barring all that you might consider a change to a lower profile vane instead of the feathers. I like feathers myself, but this is just another idea. Duravane makes a 4" Low Profile vane that I sometimes use. This is kind of a bandaid for your problems, but hey..........

Your arrows look good for spine on most charts, but.... Are you stuck on aluminum? You could try some carbon arrows if not. Gold Tip XT 5575 or Beman or Easton ICS 400 would work.

I find it odd that you are shooting a 2018. I didn't think anybody shot heavy walled aluminums anymore. Good for you if that is your choice. Just give a thought to the carbons I've mentioned. You'd gain a ton of speed and in doing so not much KE loss. I never get too conserned with KE because at 28" and 60# you still have enough for anything in North America.

Just making some suggestions here. Without having bow in hand it's hard to make exact judgements.