PDA

View Full Version : Where did the thread go?

kylecurtis04
10-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I could have sworn there was a member on here that took a piece of metal and made a bent in it the same angle as the TRG and put a teflon slide on the angle part of it so it acts just like the TRG but I can not find the thread for the life of me. Does anyone know who posted it or where the tread went to? I would really like to re-read that post and look into it a little further in depth. Seems like a great idea that can be used in the future for any bow company using the rod and slide. Thanks guys.

kylecurtis04
10-11-2011, 06:13 PM
SUCCESS! I FOUND IT!

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?9633-My-home-made-TRG-for-older-bows-(like-my-08-Firecat-and-possibly-others)&highlight=angle

elkslayer4x5
10-12-2011, 05:29 AM
Nice hunting Kyle, good find! And thanks for bringing Rocky's post back up for us, seems a better method. I noticed that several folks said they were going to give it a try, so if ya'll did make Rocky's guide, how did it work out for your bow?

HawgEnvy
10-12-2011, 08:27 AM
im curious to know also. i didn't get that far. but i do have the aluminum rod that i'll be using. does that count? lol

elkslayer4x5
10-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Sure it counts, intent is counted in golf! :D

HawgEnvy
10-12-2011, 01:52 PM
wouldn't know. I've never golfed. I thought OLD and grey was a requirement of golf. Lol

Magnus777
10-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Wow! That's awesome! I've been planning on doing something almost exactly like that! Anybody ever notice that's the way of things...whenever you have a great idea, it seems someone else across the country will have the same idea? Ever thought up a solution to a problem, and thought, "I should patent that...make a million dollars"....then in a month you see YOUR great idea at Walmart, or in one of those "as seen on TV commercials"?

What inspired me initially was the cam lean on my single-cam Orion. It was so bad it was causing the cables to rub while being pulled over the cable grove as the cam rotated. The cable guide rod was set WAY out, so I moved it in and nearly eliminated the cam lean...but then I had vane clearance problems. It seemed there just wasn't any middle ground! So I started investgating...reading the forums to see if anybody else had the same problem, and sure enough they did, but nobody had come up with an adequate solution. At the time I didn't know about Martin's TRG.
It was in my "investigating" that I noticed these string stoppers on the new bows...if anyone has read my other posts, you know I've been out of it for awhile. Anyway, I want to take all the do-dads off my bowstring, and a string stopper would be a great way to quiet it down. But for one, I don't have a rear mounting hole in my riser. I also don't like the front mount ones that swing around the riser. And I definitely didn't want to pay in the neighborhood of $50 for one! So I got to thinking how I could make something like that, and thought I could just put a stopper on the end of the cable guide rod, and swing it around to line it up...but then the problem became how to maintain cable clearance.

I got to looking around on the Interweb, trying to find pictures of how these problems were addressed on the new bows, and come up with parts to cobble something together. That's when I discovered the "Tilt Tamer".

http://tilttamer.com/default.asp

If you check the link, you can see it addresses the cable lean problem in the same way as Martin's TRG. But looking at it I asked myself why should I add an attachment to the guide rod, when I can just bend the rod, and keep the cable slide? That seemed like it would work...but what about the string stopper?

After a whole lot of looking, I finally found this:

http://www.sausa.com/product.php?product_pk1=26

So now I think I'm set! I can fix the cam lean, and silence my string! Plan on using my original guide rod, probably cut down just a tad. Ordered the string stopper, which will attach to the guide rod. And I ordered a couple different cable slides to see what works best. I have the factory slide, which mounts the cables on the inside. Ordered something similar from Bohning, but it's 100% teflon. And I also ordered a roller slide from Browning...I've read some shooters have a problem with the cables cutting into the soft teflon, and wearing it out real fast, but the roller slide has a hardened pin in it. That part came in today!

Let me say thank you to Rocky for the original post, and to kyle for bringing it back up! Now I know what I was planning will work!

Sledge

Conan
10-12-2011, 07:09 PM
K&K archery actually use something like this, I'm curious as to what size their rods are ...
That said, I'm pretty happy with my offset cable rod, adjusted for minimal clearance and it seems to flex a little at full draw anyway.

Arrow Splitter
10-14-2011, 05:54 AM
wouldn't know. I've never golfed. I thought OLD and grey was a requirement of golf. LolI think you already meet the OLD requirement, because aren't you going to turn 73 in 8 days?:p