PDA

View Full Version : making a sts

polaris754
10-17-2011, 01:54 AM
not that i want to sound cheap, but has any one of u folks ventured into making your own sts? dose nt look to difficult, if so what type of material did u end up using for the rod and stop that was successful i know i could experiment , then i should just go out and buy one lol

bfisher
10-17-2011, 03:07 AM
I made one a coupke years back for my 2005 Shadowcat. Mine cost me nothing as I already had some old parts laying in a drawer.

It's fairly simple really. All you need is a doglegged cable rod (aluminum) and the rubber bumper. You have to experiment a bit to get the length of the rod correct then cut it to length. Install the rubber bumper and install it in the hole on the back of the riser. Tighten the set screws and you're ready to go.

Cost for the whole thing would be about $13 to $15 if you have to buy the rod and bumber. Martin sells one for about $20 so for the hassle you'd be as well off to just buy theirs. Check the on-line store.

polaris754
10-18-2011, 01:51 AM
I made one a coupke years back for my 2005 Shadowcat. Mine cost me nothing as I already had some old parts laying in a drawer.

It's fairly simple really. All you need is a doglegged cable rod (aluminum) and the rubber bumper. You have to experiment a bit to get the length of the rod correct then cut it to length. Install the rubber bumper and install it in the hole on the back of the riser. Tighten the set screws and you're ready to go.

Cost for the whole thing would be about $13 to $15 if you have to buy the rod and bumber. Martin sells one for about $20 so for the hassle you'd be as well off to just buy theirs. Check the on-line store.

Barry where did u see it at the one they have listed is 30 bucks? for twenty its a no brainer buy one !did check several retail stores and they range from 50 to 60

bfisher
10-18-2011, 03:00 AM
On-line store/bow parts/part #8897. My bad. It's now $30. If you just want a cable guard rod it's part #CG-5 for $15. You can get a rubber bumper, part # 8896 for $5.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-18-2011, 12:52 PM
For a genuine martin out of my dealer it cost me $19.99. I couldn't build it for less.

Hutch:cool:

HawgEnvy
10-18-2011, 03:02 PM
give this a try,guys
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229421

bfisher
10-19-2011, 03:03 AM
give this a try,guys
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229421

That way is simple, too, but for most Martin bows that I've seen the string isn't straight behind the riser so the rod has to be bent into a dog leg.
Also, it doesn't need to be threaded. Still, it would work on some bows of other brands and/or models.